The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Bulking...

Bulking advice please

Hi. First post here, a couple months after getting back into weight training after spending a year off. Anyway, angry with myself for such a lapse and am now completely geared towards gaining some quality muscle.

I'm 5 foot 10, and weight around 165lbs. Started bulking two weeks ago but figured I may as well get technical about what I'm eating and use fitday. Turns out I'm not eating that much, pretty much within maintainence.

How much, at my height and weight, should I eat to promote growth and bulk up? 3000 cals? 4000?

I want to try and get to 190lbs - 200lbs by March 1st, and then spend four months until July 1st cutting, bringing my weight down to around 170-175lbs, hopefully retaining most of the muscle and losing fat. My aim is to have less fat than I do now (at a guess I'd say I was 13 - 14% now, but I will get it tested), aiming for something like 10%.

Is this a doable goal. Or can anyone suggest a better/different one? I've never been on a bulk/cut cycle before so I'm not sure what to expect. Would this kind of thing take years and I'm being really optomistic/stupid about this?

You guys seem to know alot and I could do with the advice. Cheers

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    For bulking up you should be getting 25 calories for every 1lb or body weight....so for you, you should be getting 4125 calories a day

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clash
    For bulking up you should be getting 25 calories for every 1lb or body weight....so for you, you should be getting 4125 calories a day

and make sure it's not just fatty foods too, attempt to eat clean so you don't just have tons of junk in your diet, (doritos,twinkies, etc)

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    That's a bad starting point and not a good rule to follow. Everyone's calorie needs are different and starting at such a high intake could quickly make him a fatty. The general rule of thumb is to start with 15-18 times his bodyweight + 500. So that's around 3,000 calories to 3500 calories to start with, and should be manipulated from there.

I want to try and get to 190lbs - 200lbs by March 1st
    35 pounds in 3 months? You should try aiming for 15 pounds or so in that amount of time. A good majority of that 35 pounds will be fat. Bulk slower.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

I figure I've got the rest of my life, why rush the bulk? I've been a fatty - I don't want to go back.

For me: A slow, clean bulk. Just like my sig.

Bulking...
    Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll try and bulk slower. It's a shame I didn't start this like two or three months ago.

I'll be back!