The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    I've always done a 5x5 with a fixed 5-6 rep max weight.
    How is the method you're referring to different than a pyramid set?
    I meant start week 1 at a weight that is very light. Gradually increase that weight each week. You shouldn't be struggling in the first couple of weeks.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Like other said, scale it down some...another thing - you could do racks first one session (bench after) and do bench first the next time up (racks after).
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Beast,

Perhaps you just need to get your body accustomed to the realtively higher volume workload. If you haven't worked in higher set/rep schemes much before there is going to be an adjustment period, as with any new program. Once your work capacity gets to where it needs to be you'll be fine, but I'd just go lighter on the weights till your body reaches that point but trying to keep with the suggested set/rep scheme.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I was doing my own brand of workout, which I found to be very similiar to BGB - though ultimately inferior. Today as it happens I switched. It wasn't a huge change for me, but the paired up major compounds was painful. I did in fact feel pretty butt kicked at the end of it. A friend stopped by and asked how it was going. I said,

"I'm doing a new workout and it's kicking my butt - I'm loosing."

lol, beast is such a nub
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

Beast, are you bulking or cutting? I tried BGB while I was cutting and I found it was too much work to do while cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by dw06wu View Post
    lol, beast is such a nub

Quote Originally Posted by LouPac View Post
    Beast, are you bulking or cutting? I tried BGB while I was cutting and I found it was too much work to do while cutting.
    Just maintaining, really. Maybe I should increase my cals a bit.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

If you are increasing the volume in your workouts, then I would bump up the calories slightly, since you'll be burning a bit more during your workout.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Either do them concurrently as Built suggested, or drop one entirely. Attempting to do both heavy and intensely is a waste of time; one will certainly suffer, almost to the point where neural/systemic fatigue stops you from ever even approaching muscular fatigue.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    Attempting to do both heavy and intensely is a waste of time; one will certainly suffer, almost to the point where neural/systemic fatigue stops you from ever even approaching muscular fatigue.
    Yeah I'm finding that out... I was concerned because no one else has mentioned this problem on the workout.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

Wannabebig Member
    Could you perhaps maybe split the workout during the day? For example, do the rack pull portion in the morning and bench at night? I like working out during my lunch break but i notice i run out of time on the monday portion of the workout. I'll just end up doing the rackpull, barbell row portion and save the bench for later that night. SHould i not be doing this?

Iron man
    The way I see it, if it's not so hard that you actuallycan't do it.
    Currently:
    height:5'8.5"
    weight: 143
    bench: 185
    squat: 225x15
    Goals by January '08:
    weight: 145-150
    bench: 210
    squat: 250x10

I don't think BGB should be too tough when cutting if you just do the 5x5 and 3x8 exercises. Atleast that's what Built said.

Weaker
    I do bench after deadlifts (and after the other rowing excercise), i've actually found that my strength has increased and i'd be benching more than usual and alot more easily, i love it.

Also, after doing this routine i just feel so much stronger, and have improved in most excercises, plus, even getting dumbells of the rack is easier.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Yeah I'm finding that out... I was concerned because no one else has mentioned this problem on the workout.
    I've been BGBing for a while now and I always saw it as a back-focused split. I realized early on that my chest wouldn't get as intense a workout as back, but then again the workout is titled Baby Got Back, not Baby Got Boobs. Rack pulls followed by bench are certainly a tough one. With the lats fatigued I imagine chest is still doing loads of work even if you're moving a lower weights, no?
    Last edited by TwiloMike; 11-29-2006 at 02:10 PM.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Ray34 - yep, that's how I do it.

Twilo - did you read the November Get Built? There's a discussion on adding more chest into the split.

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    Ray34 - yep, that's how I do it.

Twilo - did you read the November Get Built? There's a discussion on adding more chest into the split.
    No, I hadn't. I've kinda been "away" recently, just checking in here sporadically. I will make a point of catching up on missed articles, though. I am currently revising my BGB again and I will check out the November Get Built... actually, right now! Thanks for the tip!

edit: Just read it. Oh man... so much to think about. Block training is getting implemented in 5...4...3...2...
    Last edited by TwiloMike; 11-29-2006 at 05:57 PM.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Quote Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
    I've been BGBing for a while now and I always saw it as a back-focused split. I realized early on that my chest wouldn't get as intense a workout as back, but then again the workout is titled Baby Got Back, not Baby Got Boobs.
    It's definitely back-focused.

What I did was replace the 5x5 direct triceps exercise on Day 4 with 5x5 weighted dips to focus more on chest. After that I do a 3x8 tri exercise.
    Last edited by Beast; 11-29-2006 at 06:31 PM.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

It's definitely back-focused.

What I did was replace the 5x5 direct triceps exercise on Day 4 with 5x5 weighted dips to focus more on chest. After that I do a 3x8 tri exercise.
    That's actually probably the best solution. I can't do dips so I am taking Built up on her recommended writeup about Block Training. We'll see how that goes.

One thing that I've credited BGB with from the start is that by placing back work first on upper body days my shoulders get such a great warm up that by the time I get to chest work I have no shoulder pain. Today I went and did the Block Training focusing on chest (chest ahead of back) and had shoulder pain by the third set. I warmed up on a treadmill for 10 mins prior to any lifting....
    Last edited by TwiloMike; 11-29-2006 at 08:07 PM.