The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tricep question

Banned

Tricep question

I know people are probably not content on a post about triceps but i've been having no problems with my chest back and shoulders...stupid arms. Anyway I've noticed that i've been seeing huge size increase in part of my triceps(runs down the back/inside part of your arm), and the upper area of my triceps isn't growing as fast. My I work my triceps on chest days and I do 3 sets of dips until failure and 3 sets tricep pushdowns (I'm pretty sure dips are responsible for these specific gains, I've only started doing them recently and since then I've noticed a lot og growth). Will altering my grip or doing other exercises effect different areas of the tricep? Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

So you work tris on chest day? I assume then that you work your bis along with back?

You could try working chest/bis and back/tris. That way your triceps and biceps get hit twice a week (once directly, once indirectly).

A narrower grip on bench press will also place more of the workload on your triceps.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Banned
    Yeah my split is chest/tris, back/bis, shoulders/legs. I've always felt like working chest and then two days later working my triceps wouldnt give them long enough to recover (usually on back/bi day my triceps are still sore even if I cut out tricep exercises and just bench) and I'd be overworking them. I like working each muscle group hard one time each week. Is this generally not as beneficial as like you said getting a major workout for one group and then a minor workout later on in the week, or does it all depend on how well you respond to the workout and how fast you recover?

I think it was Dexter Jackson who said training bis after back was like doing a 100m sprint after running a marathon. I quite like that analogy.

I used to swear by training chest/tris and back/bis together but I've swapped it round now. I agree with deeder that you can hit them twice a week - once direct and heavy and once indirectly.

How about having some veriety in your tricep routine. Try switching it up with some skullcrushers or tricep extensions.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

Banned
    Swapping bis and tris is becoming more of a possibility for me. I'll probably try it out for 4-8 weeks and see what turns up. As far as changing up my tricep routine, I stay away from skull crushers because for some reason i get a sharp pain on the inside of my right elbow (even with low weight and perfect form), kinda feels like somethings wrong inside there but i have no problem with dips and push downs, anyone else experience this? I usually do 2 sets of 15 BW dips and the third to failure (usually 10-15 reps depending on the length of my rest). Push downs are usually 3 sets of 10-12 reps. Haven't gotten bored of this routine yet so I'll stick with this for a while and probably try skull crushers periodically to see if the pain is still there. Anyway, thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

I do chest/bis back/tris but I also do reverse BB curls on back day, does this mean I am working my biceps too much on back day? I know that reverse curls are mostly for forearms, but they do also work the biceps.

You got 3 parts of the tri. Long, lateral and medial head. Some excercises hit other heads more than the other. Using a rope for pushdowns can engage the lateral more. Skullcrushers to the forehead focuses on the medial and lateral while lowering the bar behind the head puts more work on the long head. Laying down on a bench doing dumbell tricep extensions (kinda like skullcrusher but with palms facing each other and with a dumbell) will hit all 3 heads equally.
    6' 2" 22years old
    05' 232lbs, 06' summer 200lbs, Currently 226lbs
    FB 345x1 Seated MP 225x5

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBOMB
    You got 3 parts of the tri. Long, lateral and medial head. Some excercises hit other heads more than the other. Using a rope for pushdowns can engage the lateral more. Skullcrushers to the forehead focuses on the medial and lateral while lowering the bar behind the head puts more work on the long head. Laying down on a bench doing dumbell tricep extensions (kinda like skullcrusher but with palms facing each other and with a dumbell) will hit all 3 heads equally.

Not sure if this is going to get a lot of attention, but many members have corrected me in saying that you cant "isolate" a part of the muscle such as the heads of a tricep. Meaning, youre not going to hit a particular head any harder with skull crushers or rope pressdowns. I was stuborn at first but theres some pretty convincing science behind it. I had to look at my print out again that I get from these posts.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Quote Originally Posted by RHPitcher26
    Yeah my split is chest/tris, back/bis, shoulders/legs. I've always felt like working chest and then two days later working my triceps wouldnt give them long enough to recover (usually on back/bi day my triceps are still sore even if I cut out tricep exercises and just bench) and I'd be overworking them. I like working each muscle group hard one time each week. Is this generally not as beneficial as like you said getting a major workout for one group and then a minor workout later on in the week, or does it all depend on how well you respond to the workout and how fast you recover?
    If you like working each muscle group hard one time per week, why do shoulders/legs together?

Chest and Tri's are a good combo, even shoulders and tri's. What personally works best for me are:
    1. Skull crushers.
    2. Press downs
    3. Overhead dumbbell extensions

The latter, as a last exercise, really kills the tri's. But to each his own, and I hope you find your ideal medium. Good luck.

Wannabebig Member honda2002civic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RHPitcher26
    Yeah my split is chest/tris, back/bis, shoulders/legs.
    :withstupi
    food to the body is like fuel to a car...

the more you use your car, the more often you need to put gas in it...

the more you work your body, the more food you need to put into it...

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire
    Not sure if this is going to get a lot of attention, but many members have corrected me in saying that you cant "isolate" a part of the muscle such as the heads of a tricep. Meaning, youre not going to hit a particular head any harder with skull crushers or rope pressdowns. I was stuborn at first but theres some pretty convincing science behind it. I had to look at my print out again that I get from these posts.
    You cant isolate the medial itself vs the long head, BUT you can target one area more of than the other.
    6' 2" 22years old
    FB 345x1 Seated MP 225x5

Close-grip 4-board presses as heavy as you can stand it (3-5 reps) and you can throw everything else out.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by drew
    Close-grip 4-board presses as heavy as you can stand it (3-5 reps) and you can throw everything else out.
    this is a good idea.

im a fan of heavy CGBP and straightbar extentions, if you dont have boards that is.

lockouts are nice also.
    2000 or bust

You cant isolate the medial itself vs the long head, BUT you can target one area more of than the other.

Yea, thats exactly what I said at first too. But again, I was proven wrong by many knowledgeable members. You can take a look at:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...hlight=isolate

It helps to read it a couple times but youll see what Im talking about.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

or take a look at this that disproves that ****............ you CAN emphasize one part of a muscle more....

The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research: Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 102113.

Nonuniform Response of Skeletal Muscle to Heavy Resistance Training: Can Bodybuilders Induce Regional Muscle Hypertrophy?
    JOSE ANTONIOa

aHuman Performance Laboratory, University of Nebraska, Kearney, Nebraska 68849.

ABSTRACT

Skeletal muscle is a heterogeneous tissue that exhibits numerous inter- and intramuscular differences (i.e., architecture, fiber composition, and muscle function). An individual muscle cannot be simplistically described as a compilation of muscle fibers that span from origin to insertion. In fact, there are unique differences within a single muscle and within single muscle fibers with respect to fiber size and protein composition. Electromyographic data indicate that there is selective recruitment of different regions of a muscle that can be altered, depending on the type of exercise performed. Longitudinal resistance-training studies also demonstrate that individual muscles as well as groups of synergist muscles adapt in a regional-specific manner. The author speculates that no single exercise can maximize the hypertrophic response of all regions of a particular muscle. Thus, for maximal hypertrophy of an entire muscle, athletes (particularly bodybuilders) are justified in incorporating various exercises that purportedly stimulate growth in a regional-specific manner.

Quote Originally Posted by levronefan
    or take a look at this that disproves that ****............ you CAN emphasize one part of a muscle more....

The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research: Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 102113.

Nonuniform Response of Skeletal Muscle to Heavy Resistance Training: Can Bodybuilders Induce Regional Muscle Hypertrophy?
    JOSE ANTONIOa

aHuman Performance Laboratory, University of Nebraska, Kearney, Nebraska 68849.

ABSTRACT

Skeletal muscle is a heterogeneous tissue that exhibits numerous inter- and intramuscular differences (i.e., architecture, fiber composition, and muscle function). An individual muscle cannot be simplistically described as a compilation of muscle fibers that span from origin to insertion. In fact, there are unique differences within a single muscle and within single muscle fibers with respect to fiber size and protein composition. Electromyographic data indicate that there is selective recruitment of different regions of a muscle that can be altered, depending on the type of exercise performed. Longitudinal resistance-training studies also demonstrate that individual muscles as well as groups of synergist muscles adapt in a regional-specific manner. The author speculates that no single exercise can maximize the hypertrophic response of all regions of a particular muscle. Thus, for maximal hypertrophy of an entire muscle, athletes (particularly bodybuilders) are justified in incorporating various exercises that purportedly stimulate growth in a regional-specific manner.
    Personally, that copy/paste ya got there doesnt sound as convincing to me. I might have found it helpful when I was arguing the same thing but Im still gonna go with what they said. But as you could imagine, it would be very silly for me to argue till the end of the time that you can isolate a part of the muscle..be proven wrong, and then all of a sudden argue till the end of the time that you CANT isolate a part of the muscle. So, Im gonna step out on this one

Yea, thats exactly what I said at first too. But again, I was proven wrong by many knowledgeable members. You can take a look at:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...hlight=isolate

It helps to read it a couple times but youll see what Im talking about.
    Not to be a dick, but I dont need to read what "others" have said. I KNOW. Alot of these "knowledgeable" either A. just repeat what others have said and beleive it B. Voice there opinion. You CAN target. You new guys need to seperate fact from bs that come from guys that cant even get a proper routine.. and btw that article is for chest, this is a tri thread
    Last edited by JamesBOMB; 11-19-2006 at 12:32 PM.
    6' 2" 22years old
    FB 345x1 Seated MP 225x5

Not to be a dick, but I dont need to read what "others" have said. I KNOW. Alot of these "knowledgeable" either A. just repeat what others have said and beleive it B. Voice there opinion. You CAN target. You new guys need to seperate fact from bs that come from guys that cant even get a proper routine.. and btw that article is for chest, this is a tri thread

Wow, you can certainly tell you didnt read the article! While the center of the focus is on chest, you should re-read it. It talks a COUPLE times about the tri's. Take a look

p.s
    The knowledgeable members Im referring to know who they are. And they certainly have my respect now-And they DO know how to create proper routines.

Personally, that copy/paste ya got there doesnt sound as convincing to me. I might have found it helpful when I was arguing the same thing but Im still gonna go with what they said. But as you could imagine, it would be very silly for me to argue till the end of the time that you can isolate a part of the muscle..be proven wrong, and then all of a sudden argue till the end of the time that you CANT isolate a part of the muscle. So, Im gonna step out on this one

i got it from some friend on a different forum.... and btw ill listen to the guys that have a FULLY DEVELOPED physique and agree with me when i say that you can emphasize different parts.... btw what is your weight and some of your stats. if your a buck fifty then i take anything you said with a grain of sand...

Quote Originally Posted by levronefan
    i got it from some friend on a different forum.... and btw ill listen to the guys that have a FULLY DEVELOPED physique and agree with me when i say that you can emphasize different parts.... btw what is your weight and some of your stats. if your a buck fifty then i take anything you said with a grain of sand...
    Im not sure if youre coming onto me or not but it should be very obvious to you that you can see my "stats" in my journal, dont ya think? I mean, Im no rocket scientist, but my weight and goal weight is even displayed in my sig...lol. Maybe you should check out my journal that includes pics and what Im training for before you try to say anything. But at any rate, hows that advice workin for ya? Lets see your FULLY DEVELOPED physique because of that advice. If you dont have one, then I guess I'll take what you say with a grain of sand

RIch you dont even have a body to brag about let alone rag on someone else. Broadin your knowledge and dont beleive everything you read. Do research and back things up, dont listen to what everyone says. There are millions of articles out in this world that pro this and con that. How bout this one, steroids cause death. Idiots and the stupid say true. The knowledgeable know its false, of opinion of what other says? NO by proven FACT
    I mean, if you want to go by knowledge for appearance, that means I win right?
    Last edited by JamesBOMB; 11-19-2006 at 09:19 PM.
    6' 2" 22years old
    FB 345x1 Seated MP 225x5

RIch you dont even have a body to brag about let alone rag on someone else. Broadin your knowledge and dont beleive everything you read. Do research and back things up, dont listen to what everyone says. There are millions of articles out in this world that pro this and con that. How bout this one, steroids cause death. Idiots and the stupid say true. The knowledgeable know its false, of opinion of what other says? NO by proven FACT
    I mean, if you want to go by knowledge for appearance, that means I win right?
    Okay first off..i can barely understand you because of your grammar useage...and second, i dont think you look as good as i do in your pic...not even close, lol. But anyways, i dont want to argue-agree to disagree

i dont think you look as good as i do in your pic...not even close, lol. But anyways, i dont want to argue-agree to disagree
    Really :alcoholic
    6' 2" 22years old
    FB 345x1 Seated MP 225x5

i admit, you do look better when we cant see your face. but now we cant see your lack of chest or gut :P

kiddin..we all have weaknesses like you but anyways, nice width, keep up the good work!