The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Is it possible to lose fat and gain muscular mass at the same time?

I know this question has been posted milions times already. But I'm new to this stuff. I have some fat on my absand a$$,which i want to get rid of!!
    I was told to eat less calories that I burn, but then my bodybuilding workout would probably go to waste.
    would doing some cardio help?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yes, it is possible to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time, if you are either new to bodybuilding/physical activity or are at a higher bodyfat. Otherwise you've either gotta make a choice between bulking or cutting.

EDIT: And if you know this question has been asked like a billion times, then I'm sure you've read that answer already.
    Last edited by Nights; 02-10-2002 at 06:15 PM.
    LaLa

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    NO! little smurf i have to disagree with you on this one.

you cannot loose bodyfat and gain muscle at the same time.

I mean look at the bodybuilders who compete in the Mr.Olympia....when the get ready for the show and loose all that bodyfat they ALSO loose A LITTLE MUSCLE.

Comparing an average person to a MR. UNIVERSE competitor isn't right. The mass these guys want they have no choice but to eat like pigs. If you eat adequate protein and keep fats to a minimum, sure you can build some mass while leaning out. If you want 24" arms then yeah, u can't do both..

But if you eat properly, and work out, you will gain some mass while burning the useless fat.

I believe you can tone yourself up respectively, but actually gaing MASS, I don't think so. if you truly are looking to bulk up your gonna develop some fat, You gotta eat to grow!! Just watch your diet (eat clean) but alot and train hard
    "Plan for difficulty when it is still easy, do the great when it is still small."
    -Tao Te Ching

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."
    -Confucius

Originally posted by TripleP

you cannot loose bodyfat and gain muscle at the same time.

Yes you can.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

It is possible to lose body fat and gain muscle at the same time. I've been cutting for almost 3 weeks now and my strength is increasing, muscle size is increasing, and my body fat is dropping.

Always in the Action Severed Ties's Avatar
    Dam straight Chigs

I've always added a few pounds while dieting. Hell last summer I cut my bodyfat by 6% and still managed to add 4 pounds.

Kinda funny when your gaining weight while cutting.

ST
    "Your bench makes Jesus cry." -Shark

This is 10% luck, 15% skill, 20% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure and 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name...

I still think that, with carefully calibrated nutrient intake, control/manipulation of insulin levels, etc. etc. etc. it may be possible to do both.. Muscle will be added much slower than with a conventional mass phase, and fat will be dropped slower than with straight-out dieting.... but I think it is nevertheless possible.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

since i have dieting i have upped my protien and i have gotten stronger while dieting. it most likely had to do with upping my protien in the 400 mark

For those who care, the differences in bulking and cutting have nothing to do with protein (assuming you get 1g/lb) -- it is hormonal. Overeating, particularly of carbs, increases insulin and leptin (which increases all of the other anaboic hormones). Undereating does the opposite.

Fat stores also signal leptin, so being fat keeps your body in the "fed state", so a fat person can gain muscle on a diet. A lean person cannot do so anywhere close to optimally (unless they supply the various hormones exogenously) -- it is just a fact of physiology.
    ParDeus

Par Deus-
    Is this why refeeds of excess calories and carbs can help a dieter or a bodybuilder by stimulating these hormomes and stimulating leptin as well?

Originally posted by MonStar1023
    Par Deus-
    Is this why refeeds of excess calories and carbs can help a dieter or a bodybuilder by stimulating these hormomes and stimulating leptin as well?
    Basically.
    ParDeus

Wannabebig Member
    To those guys who have success in reducing BF but gain weight, did your measurements increase too or remain the same?

The answer is Yes. Perfect example is myself when I first began training... (And probably many others as well).

I weighed about 160lbs. My BF% was high; probably a good 5 or 6 % higher than it is now. I've gained a good 10 - 15 lbs, dropped my bodyfat, increased all my lifts, gained muscle MASS, etc etc etc.

Originally posted by Dez
    To those guys who have success in reducing BF but gain weight, did your measurements increase too or remain the same?
    Depends what you are measuring. But everything increases except for my gut.