The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

Keeping the hips low

When I deadlift heavy my hips have a tendancy to go up to early. I'm finally able to explode up, but when I do my leg drive goes into pushing my ass up and not really lifting the weight. I almost feel like I have to baby it to get it off the ground.
    So how exactly do you push up explosively with the legs and keep your ass down? It just doesn't seem natural to me

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i do this, i need help with it badly also good topic! easy extra 30 lbs if i fixed this.
    2000 or bust

I've never really experienced that problem.

Just be sure that you are looking up and pulling back. Hope that helps!
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Banned
    The only advice I've read about this, and it makes sense intuitively, is to drive with the heals. Kind if leaning back. I just haven't been able to put into practice on a heavy lift.

i'm leaning back more and more, but my hips are still coming up first, and it's pissing the hell out of me lol, i can't seem to get them in synch with my back. so if anybody has the be all, end all advice, please, do tell lol.

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

Banned
    Before you start your pull, "dip" your hips a little bit. Basically get in place, set your grip, get comfy, and then dip your hips down a little.

You will have to take care not to "yank" the weight but dipping the hips will help you get under your shoulders and keep an arch in your back.

relentless this helped me some, same with leaning back its how i easily pulled 515 after missing 505.
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by Bohizzle
    i'm leaning back more and more, but my hips are still coming up first, and it's pissing the hell out of me lol, i can't seem to get them in synch with my back. so if anybody has the be all, end all advice, please, do tell lol.
    I don't have the be-all end-all advice at all, but when I was doing box squats, CV deadlifts (deadlifts off of a low cable), and Bulgarian split squats on a regular basis I was able to get my legs into the movement more.

I agree w. RedSpikeyThing that the key is to pull "back" rather than up.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I tend to raise my hips before the shoulders when I'm starting to feel all fatigued and lazy...i.e. near muscle failure.
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

Banned
    Keep your butt down in the beggining, lift with your legs

Or... drop the weights...

Master the form.

Then go stuff your ego, if your hips are coming off, thats placing a ****load of unnecissary force on your back wich has to lever it up.

Lead with your head and shoulder, everything should be moving together.

ALso making sure you have a really good back arch helps.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
    Before you start your pull, "dip" your hips a little bit. Basically get in place, set your grip, get comfy, and then dip your hips down a little.

You will have to take care not to "yank" the weight but dipping the hips will help you get under your shoulders and keep an arch in your back.
    I've always dipped down a bit, but I've been trying to dip more, and it seems to be working slightly. I think my main problem is still hip/ham/ankle flexibility which was hindering my squats as well, which I am still working on. Thanks for the tip.

Sensei, I think my form resembles Konsti's somewhat (obviously at like 1/3 of the weight haha), but I seem to be pulling more with my back then with leg drive, much like how Chris Mason does his deadlifts (If memory serves me correctly). I've tried getting very low at the beginning of the lift and I just couldn't get any good numbers up and it just felt really awkward. I'm gunna keep working on it though, thanks for the tips.

Andrew

I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

Quote Originally Posted by Bohizzle View Post
    I've tried getting very low at the beginning of the lift and I just couldn't get any good numbers up and it just felt really awkward. I'm gunna keep working on it though, thanks for the tips.
    Andrew
    I don't know what the answer is. After a certain point, lowering the hips any further will just move your center of gravity further away from the bar (unless you are DLing sumo). Hope the numbers keep going up for you!
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

next-tyson-but-white arnoldsclone's Avatar
    The way my coach for track and field and football trained me to powerlift period, was like this ( envision a very fat man, bald, big glasses, olympic weight lifting coach for reals), keep your chest out and as up towards the ceiling as possible, feet where they're comfortable usually shoulder width, keep your but low, stare at the same spot on the wall across from you to keep your back aligned( critical), then stand up like you're standing out of a chair.

Ahnold says, " milk is for babies!"
    "deadlift if you know"- myself
    Boxing/ working out 5 days a week!
    6'1"- 230lbs-and bulking till i can't stand the mirror
    Former fatass- whent from 302lbs to 207 lbs rippling 05-06
    bench 315
    deadlift 455
    squat 405
    big 3 total = 1175 lbs of RAW IRON!!!MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Or... drop the weights...

Master the form.

Then go stuff your ego, if your hips are coming off, thats placing a ****load of unnecissary force on your back wich has to lever it up.

Lead with your head and shoulder, everything should be moving together.

ALso making sure you have a really good back arch helps.
    Tried this and i do the same crap the only way i can lift with my legs is 225 and under, i get SOME leg drive but i think the key is pulling back, im not going to drop under 405 now that im in the low 5's for reps! but i see where your coming from, the deadlift is a primary BACK exersize.
    2000 or bust

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by arnoldsclone View Post
    The way my coach for track and field and football trained me to powerlift period, was like this ( envision a very fat man, bald, big glasses, olympic weight lifting coach for reals), keep your chest out and as up towards the ceiling as possible, feet where they're comfortable usually shoulder width, keep your but low, stare at the same spot on the wall across from you to keep your back aligned( critical), then stand up like you're standing out of a chair.
    Very interesting, and very true...This is probably one of the best ways to deadlift. I also want to add that, when I seem to get stuck somewhere midway, what seems to help is to close my eyes and struggle with all my heart and soul to lift the way all the way up, then when I get all the way up, I lock out and hold the way for a couple of seconds...
    Last edited by Sexybeast777; 12-03-2006 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I don't know what the answer is. After a certain point, lowering the hips any further will just move your center of gravity further away from the bar (unless you are DLing sumo). Hope the numbers keep going up for you!
    That's pretty much exactly what happened when I'd drop my hips lower. I got a new pr today, although it might not count in a comp (IPF: it was going really slow up my thighs, never stopped, but they might call me for holding it there) but it got locked out without any hitching. As of right now, I'm happy with the way my dead is progressing (40lb increase in 3.5 months, and lifts that are a lot cleaner), I just need to get stronger . Thanks for the tips and info, they've definitely helped. Oh and the help you as well as others gave me in regards to my squat a while back helped a lot! thanks again.

Andrew