Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossfit ?

Crossfit ?

Ok. What would be the difference between this and say Bill Starrs 5x5 (ran it once already)?

It seems Crossfit is based much more on endurance while working at cardiovascular, gymnastic, and weight workouts. It has me highly intrigued considering I really don't want to become muscle bound. If I ever start MMA like I want to I could slim down even further with Crossfit and I have faith it would still keep me strong.

Also, what could I do since I don't have access to kettleballs or items required for some of the workouts because I have plain gyms in the area and at my college?

Basically I'm looking for Anthony, the Crossfit master

Dont worry about not having KBs, the CF program is highly adaptable and flexible.

It mainly incorporates weight training focusing on PL/OL movements, HIIT, and steady state cardio.

I know one thing that Anthony will say is to alter the program to focus on your weakness; if you have a 2000 total in the big 3 but cannot get off of the couch to take a **** w/out getting winded then you should focus on hiit/endurance.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Well, the difference between Bill Starr's 5x5 and Crossfit is that 5x5 is a specific workout program while Crossfit is a set of principles. I know that's difficult for some people to grasp, but the workout they post on the front page is an EXAMPLE of how to implement the principles. If you check the affiliate websites, you'll notice almost all of them implement a different workout. Why? Different strengths, different weaknesses, different goals.

So like Eric said, learn the Crossfit principles and apply them based on your weaknesses. Here's a good place to start:

Constantly varied functional movements performed at high intensity.

Constantly varied = rarely repeat the exact same workout. Vary the volume, intensity, order, time, exercise variation, etc. Think periodization.

Functional movements = use movements that have a DIRECT impact on performance in sport and life. Squat, deadlift, lunge, etc.

High intensity = do most of your work above 90% of your 1RM and/or above 90% of your MHR.

If you follow those three principles, you can use any method you want and call it Crossfit and no one will know the difference.

We currently train in a plain-jane gym and don't have access to the best equipment, but we learn to improvise. A kettlebell is just a fancy dumbbell. Or vice versa. Don't have a rope to climb? Hang a towel over the chinup bar. Etc, etc. The possibilities are endless.

Hope this helps!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

It really did. Thanks Anthony. For someone who follows Crossfit closely and has a good diet what kind of results could be expected as compared to a proper diet with 5x5 ?

More well rounded athletic performance.

Gracias Anthony. Once I can get signed up with a MMA school I'll also begin Crossfit. I want to do both in unison.

I checked out the rings the one member of crossfit makes. That certainly can make this much more possible to do. I'm getting more interested^^

I've only had rings for a few months ... you don't NEED them, although they certainly are fun. Stop making excuses and just get it done.

Lol I know Anthony geeze :P. So should I start with the WOD or is there somewhere else to tune the program ?

It will probably be easiest to start with the WOD so you get a feel for things (frequency, volume, movements, etc). Then adjust as your weaknesses are exposed.

And don't be afraid to scale the workouts to something you can handle. My suggestion is to check the comments to get an idea of the average time/score and adjust the workout so that your time/score falls within that average.

I'm just concerned about my physique as compared to 5x5. I'm giving it a shot though.

I don't understand what you mean by "concerned about my physique." You're concerned that you'll lose size/muscle and/or gain fat?

Loose strength. I don't have much fat left to loose. I don't want to be big honestly, partly the reason I wanted to do this in conjunction with MMA so if I'm smaller I'd feel I can handle myself better than now. But crossfit uses some crazy things, and I've always enjoyed the "WTF" looks .

All of those things your concerned with, has more to do with diet than the workout.

CF is a lot of fun. The WOD is the best place to start.
    Last edited by ddegroff; 11-28-2006 at 01:58 PM.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Quote Originally Posted by markdk86 View Post
    Loose strength. I don't have much fat left to loose. I don't want to be big honestly, partly the reason I wanted to do this in conjunction with MMA so if I'm smaller I'd feel I can handle myself better than now. But crossfit uses some crazy things, and I've always enjoyed the "WTF" looks .
    I've been using CF for over a year and I recently set PRs on every major lift I've ever performed. So has my girlfriend.

I wouldn't be concerned about losing strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    I've been using CF for over a year and I recently set PRs on every major lift I've ever performed. So has my girlfriend.

I wouldn't be concerned about losing strength.
    Do you use the WOD or modified ? You look damn good Anthony.

Quote Originally Posted by markdk86 View Post
    Do you use the WOD or modified ? You look damn good Anthony.
    We use a slightly modified routine (right now is heavily modified for me because I'm rehabing an injury from competition).

D1: strength (2 heavy compound lifts, 2 plyos (optional), wave the volume each week)
    D2: metcon (use the WOD if it's metcon, otherwise sub something else)
    D3: metcon (use the WOD if it's metcon, otherwise sub something else)
    D4: rest
    Repeat

A lot of people use something similar. They either add a strength day on the first day or the middle day. Some use Dan John's OLAD, some use ME Black Box, some use 5x5, etc.

But also keep in mind that the WOD is evolving to include more strength days as well. In fact, if you compare strength days in the WOD with ME days in Westside's conjugated method, they are VERY similar.
    Last edited by Anthony; 11-29-2006 at 07:02 AM.

I will start with the WOD's than. Then I may move on to include one day with more strength work if needed. I ma be starting a full time job soon while going to college full time too so the shortened WOD compared to Bill Starr 5x5 will be nice. I appreciate all your help.

Going back to the school gym to workout now. I forgot about the CF Warmup to. Makes me feel better about the low volume of CF.

Edit. Doing it tomorrow. Damn gym was way to crowded. Dip station used, pullups used, powerrack used..... stupid free college gym but wait! you need a quarter to use your locker !

I miss the YMCA
    Last edited by markdk86; 11-29-2006 at 05:46 PM.

Banned
    Do you think combining crossfit with Westside would be an interesting idea? Use the workout of the day for DE days and do Westside MEs? Or would this just end up with lots of overtraining?

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    Do you think combining crossfit with Westside would be an interesting idea? Use the workout of the day for DE days and do Westside MEs? Or would this just end up with lots of overtraining?
    Thats similar to what I have been doing for about 12 weeks now. 1 weight/2 crossfit metcon/ 1 off, took several weeks to work up to it. So far has been working well, as far as strength and conditioning gains.
    Last edited by clawhammer_33; 11-29-2006 at 11:07 PM.
    Face it: biceps are the muscle that classifies you as a muscle man.

Striding across the fields, carrying a vorpal blade, cometh Clawhammer! And he gives a bloodthirsty bellow:

"As sure as predators devour prey, I shall paint the town a sanguine shade of doom!!!"
    Hilarity

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty similar to what we do, but we probably use less volume on the ME day. For example, we currently use:

ME/CF/CF/OFF

You suggest

ME/CF/OFF/ME/CF/OFF/OFF

?

I think that would go over well.
    Last edited by Anthony; 11-30-2006 at 05:38 AM.

I think it would really depend of the volume of the ME day.

Yeah, that's pretty similar to what we do, but we probably use less volume on the ME day. For example, we currently use:

ME/CF/CF/OFF

You suggest

ME/CF/OFF/ME/CF/OFF/OFF

?

This is kinda what I am doing now. Prob not a ME day but more of a "weights" day. Eventually it will be a ME day once I get rolling again.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Banned
    ME/CF/OFF/ME/CF/OFF/OFF

?

I'm not sure of what I was suggesting lol The full Westside routine kills me as is, so maybe alternate ME and CS for a total of 3 workouts per week.

Week 1: ME Off CS Off ME off off
    Week 2: CS off ME off CS off off
    Week 3: repeat