Thread: All this explosive training......genetic?

next-tyson-but-white arnoldsclone's Avatar

All this explosive training......genetic?

I want some other peoples input on this type of training and how beneficial it can be. In my opinion you really can't become much more explosive than you are already. I mean yeah you could gain a little bit of explosiveness, but isn't explosiveness what makes you a naturally good athlete? Isn't raw explosion, stop and go, cut etc like a running back (lt) genetic? what do you guys think?

Ahnold says, " milk is for babies!"
    "deadlift if you know"- myself
    Boxing/ working out 5 days a week!
    6'1"- 230lbs-and bulking till i can't stand the mirror
    Former fatass- whent from 302lbs to 207 lbs rippling 05-06
    bench 315
    deadlift 455
    squat 405
    big 3 total = 1175 lbs of RAW IRON!!!MUAHAHAHAHAHA

No. If that was the case, why would elite atheletes train?

It's the same as your maximum muscular mass potential. Everyone's is different, but you can train it. In fact, just by getting stronger you increase your explosiveness. Think about it. You trained with 100 lbs a year ago, and now train with 200 lbs. You move the 200 lbs at the same rate you used to move 100 lbs. So the work done per unit of time has increased, aka power.

[QUOTE=ancom41;1544351]No. If that was the case, why would elite atheletes train?[

good question, i would say that it wouldn't hurt to train for it, and also if you're a natural athlete your gains would be better for explosiveness?

bench 315
    deadlift 455
    squat 405

Quote Originally Posted by arnoldsclone View Post
    In my opinion you really can't become much more explosive than you are already.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but still....

You may never become Emmitt Smith or Michael Jordan, but if you train hard and smart you can certainly be better and more explosive than you are right now.

You may never become a brain surgeon or nuclear physicist either, but that doesn't mean you should stop studying and learning.

You may never be Andres Segovia or Eddie Van Halen, but that doesn't mean you should throw away your guitar.

Just because you don't have the perfect genetics to be world-class doesn't mean you quit. It means you challenge yourself to find your limits, work around them or overcome them as best you can, and revel in your own improvements and successes.

Just because a college-bound athlete isn't a superstar and won't be drafted by a big Division I team, doesn't mean he should quit playing his favorite sports. In my own experience Division-II college teams are pretty damned competitive. Sometimes more so than Div-I because these guys know there is far more to athleticism than simple explosiveness or brute strength.

Div-II athletes often know they have limitations in one or more areas and try to compensate by training harder, fighting harder, or emphasizing different skills that will help them be competitive even in the absence of one or more of the qualities that would make a great Div-I or pro athlete.

I know I'm rambling, but what I meant to say was everyone has potential to grow and change precisely because there are so many variables at play. Explosiveness is certainly important, but it's not the only thing that matters.

Last edited by beatlesfreak; 11-27-2006 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beatlesfreak View Post
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but still....

You may never become Emmitt Smith or Michael Jordan, but if you train hard and smart you can certainly be better and more explosive than you are right now.

You may never become a brain surgeon or nuclear physicist either, but that doesn't mean you should stop studying and learning.

You may never be Andres Segovia or Eddie Van Halen, but that doesn't mean you should throw away your guitar.

Just because you don't have the perfect genetics to be world-class doesn't mean you quit. It means you challenge yourself to find your limits, work around them or overcome them as best you can, and revel in your own improvements and successes.

Just because a college-bound athlete isn't a superstar and won't be drafted by a big Division I team, doesn't mean he should quit playing his favorite sports. In my own experience Division-II college teams are pretty damned competitive. Sometimes more so than Div-I because these guys know there is far more to athleticism than simple explosiveness or brute strength.

Div-II athletes often know they have limitations in one or more areas and try to compensate by training harder, fighting harder, or emphasizing different skills that will help them be competitive even in the absence of one or more of the qualities that would make a great Div-I or pro athlete.

I know I'm rambling, but what I meant to say was everyone has potential to grow and change precisely because there are so many variables at play. Explosiveness is certainly important, but it's not the only thing that matters.

true, true

bench 315
    deadlift 455
    squat 405

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by arnoldsclone View Post
    isn't explosiveness what makes you a naturally good athlete? Isn't raw explosion, stop and go, cut etc like a running back (lt) genetic? what do you guys think?
    I think that everyone has the ability to train explosiveness. I'm also willing to say that, baring any disability, most people could become extremly good at anything - provided they train with the only goal of getting better.

That said, I think the "naturally athletic" would start off more explosive than others, but that doens't mean others can't catch up to them

Also, explosiveness is the ability to go from "zero to sixty", as they say. It is actually quite a skill to put your maximum effore into a non-maximum weight. Try it - it feelis incredibly unnatural!

It's absolutely trainable.
    "We could put his leg in a vice-grip, but you & I together couldn't twist his ankle enough to sprain it"
    - Jerry Glanville discussing Barry Sanders