The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Plate weight off?

How common is this?

I was standing military pressing in the rack today and I could barely budge a weight I knew I was good for 5 reps with. I thought it might be fatigue (I did two sets of 20 militaries on Thursday) but later in my session I grabbed the fixed weight barbells and did 20 easy reps of 70. I loaded 65 up on the oly and could only get 12.

I went to the counter to ask how much the olympic bar weighed but as soon as I mentioned the plates the woman said 'oh, some of our plates are off by as much as seven pounds. We had to weigh them once for a beginner class to make sure everyone was moving the same weight.'

To which I blinked and said 'so when I deadlift 365 with six plates and change I could be actually trying to move a lot more' and she said 'Yes. Sorry about that.'

Gah. Dumbells don't lie as often. Not much I can do about deadlift or squatting, though. This could explain why sometimes the bar is noticably unbalanced towards one end despite me being perfectly in the middle...
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Newbie Galore
    hmmmm.....that's a bit weird. I could understand them being a LITTLE bit off <1lb because of wear and tear, but as much as 7. Wow. Personally, I've never had this happen, so I'd have to say in my own experience its not that common. Good luck man, that can totally mess with one's mental ability.

7 pounds is a lot, couldn't you tell just by picking it up?
    [Journal | My Diet]
    [Bench 170x5 | Squat 255x5 | Deadlift 300x5]
    "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried."

Not really. If one of the 10s was really 13 and the other was really 12 I'd never know it. Even if both were 15s I probably wouldn't know it. I'm not particularly sensitive to such things. When doing cuban presses for my right rotator cuff I can't tell the difference between a 10 pound dumbell and a 20 pound dumbell in each hand before about 12 reps.

If a 45 was actually a 52 I probably couldn't tell that either. Some days 45s are light to me and other days I need to load them using both hands as is... it all depends on what I've done in the session beforehand.

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8

Im just saying if I picked up a 45 that was actually 45, and then a 45 that was really closer to a 35, I think I could tell.
    [Journal | My Diet]
    [Bench 170x5 | Squat 255x5 | Deadlift 300x5]
    "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried."

If you were deadlifting 365 and some of the plates were off, I'd think you know if one side was heavier than another.

And how the hell can plates be 7 pounds off? Are they from a reputable maker? Otherwise, there would have to be big chunks of iron missing.

7 pounds out of 45 is 16&#37;. There's not an industry out there that has tolerances of 16%!!

But if in doubt, schlep the plate to the scale and find out.

And you would think that a gym with defective equipment would replace it. Someone could get seriously injured moving imblanced weight like that.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

They're not metal plates. They're rubber. For which the floor is incredibly grateful. Seven pounds still seems extreme to me: She didn't say how many of these heavier or lighter 45s there actually were.

My guess would be replacing them with quality plates would cost money... and really the 45s see the most action on the leg press where nobody would notice.

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    And you would think that a gym with defective equipment would replace it. Someone could get seriously injured moving imblanced weight like that.
    Agreed.

That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

I still don't get it. Material just doesn't lose 16&#37; of it's mass. Not even 5% through wear and tear.

Are they metal plates with rubber on the outsides? I can't see only rubber weighing 45 lbs unless the plates are either unusually huge (big diameter) or unsually wide. maybe I've just never seen all-rubber plates.

And, of course it would cost money to replace the weights. But would the gym rather spend ten grand to upgrade the weights or spend a million on a lawsuit?

Do you know a lot of people at the gym? I'd start relaying your story. maybe if enough people complain, they'll get off their ass and do things right.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Hmm. I'm trying to remember the brand name on the plates. I'll make a note of it tomorrow to google it.

No, I don't know anyone at the gym. It's just me and the weights... I don't talk to anyone unless they talk to me.

I'm not going to let it bug me too much... though I have to wonder at times in the past where I've been military pressing and unable to lock out one side or the other. Could easily have been me but with the possiblity of it being the weights themselves I'll just have to be careful. Deads are deads, though, nothing to be done there since I use a good chunk of the 45s around (yes, 6 is a good chunk. I've seen a guy using 12 before for deading in an Inzer and he had 35s and 10s thrown on to boot because the gym was out of 45s). If some are lighter and some are heavier I'll hopefully even out.

Gamer/Lifter
    Eh, decent weights should take YEARS to loose any significant weight. I'm talking maybe 2 Lbs, even then that would be alot...

Maybe its because you felt it was heavier because you weren't as pumped or tried.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Or it could be because an olympic bar is thicker for gripping than a fixed weight barbell. Or harder to balance. These were my first thoughts (and still ranking highly in my mind).

I would never have thought 'inaccurate weight' if it hadn't been the first thing to pop out of the woman at the counter's mouth when I mentioned it.

And for testing purposes I did 70 pounds for 20 reps. I can handle two easy sets of that at anytime, any place with a two minute rest between them. The fixed weight 70 went up 20 times with more left in the tank and the 65 pound oly and plates was killing my right shoulder by rep 10 and it was done in by rep 12. Same gripth width, same start position. I went on to do 12 arnold presses with a set of 30s so I really wasn't fatigued.

next-tyson-but-white arnoldsclone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer View Post
    Or it could be because an olympic bar is thicker for gripping than a fixed weight barbell. Or harder to balance. These were my first thoughts (and still ranking highly in my mind).

I would never have thought 'inaccurate weight' if it hadn't been the first thing to pop out of the woman at the counter's mouth when I mentioned it.

And for testing purposes I did 70 pounds for 20 reps. I can handle two easy sets of that at anytime, any place with a two minute rest between them. The fixed weight 70 went up 20 times with more left in the tank and the 65 pound oly and plates was killing my right shoulder by rep 10 and it was done in by rep 12. Same gripth width, same start position. I went on to do 12 arnold presses with a set of 30s so I really wasn't fatigued.
    this is a weird phenomenom
    !

Ahnold says, " milk is for babies!"
    "deadlift if you know"- myself
    Boxing/ working out 5 days a week!
    6'1"- 230lbs-and bulking till i can't stand the mirror
    Former fatass- whent from 302lbs to 207 lbs rippling 05-06
    bench 315
    deadlift 455
    squat 405
    big 3 total = 1175 lbs of RAW IRON!!!MUAHAHAHAHAHA