Thread: Metabolism and gaining weight...

Metabolism and gaining weight...

So, this might be a long story so I'll try to make it as short as possible. This is more of a background and the question is at the bottom if you want to skip it.

When I started to go into a "cut" (if you could call it that, even) in late May, I was 220 lbs. All I really ate was wheat (frosted wheaties for breakfast, turkey on wheat for lunch, foot long turkey on wheat from subway for dinner, and something like popcorn or wheaties for a bedtime snack), and that is all I'd eat. I did that until probably late October, and pounds dropped fast. I also did a good deal of HIIT (worked my way from 4 minutes per session and doing a session every 2 days to 9 or 10 minutes per session every 2 days). I kept highdrated and kept drinking lots of milk (3 or so avg. bottles a day of water and 1-2 glasses of milk before bed and maybe 2-3 in the time span of the day). Now I've moved into a new house and my workout is a bit restricted. I haven't been eating any of that, and I've been cut down on water (by choice I guess. I just don't drink a lot anymore. I've went around 2 days without any form of drink). I haven't been doing HIIT but I've been lifting weights alot. I don't eat alot either (anymore), but in the past few days I have been pigging out, and I'm scared to gain weight back because, chances are, I'll probably go on a huge cut again, and I don't want to. I'd rather lose it gradually (maybe 5 pounds a month to get ready for summer, not 10-20 a month like I did). Just to give you an idea of what I've been choking down:

Saturday my girlfriend and her family took me to Olive Garden:

2 Salads (not a large amount though)
    4-5 Bread Sticks
    Lasagna Plate

That's all I ate for the whole day, and I was completely stuffed the whole day.

Monday:

1.5 cups of deep fried chicken fingers
    1 cup of deep fried mozerella sticks
    1 cup of ice cream
    2 slices of ham
    1 cup of hershey's chocolate syrup (some mixed with milk, otherwise I turned the bottle up, hehe)
    1 cup hot chocolate
    1 peanut and butter jelly sammich on wheat

Tuesday (today)

2.5 cups of ice cream
    2 slices of ham
    ham (2-3 slices) and cheese sammich on wheat
    1 cup of hershey's chocolate syrup (mixed with ice cream or poured down my mouth)
    2 small bags of buttered popcorn (about 1/4 the size of a normal bag)

I measured my weight Monday morning, and I didn't show a gain of any weight (about 163-165), and I'm wondering... When you get skinnier, does your matabolism increase, so it makes it harder to gain weight? Because before I pigged out I ate just enough to get by, and I was still losing weight (not alot, maybe 1-2 pounds every few days, but I'd gain them back).

Wannabebig Member
    that kinda thing happened to me
    i lost like 40 pounds
    and now when i pig out a little, but i will lose it as soon as i get back on track.

Bump. I'm probably going to start another cut soon I decided. I'm going to try and get down to some abs showing by summer atleast. I'd have to drop another 30 or so pounds to get most flab off though, so I'm set for a rough ride. Damn thighs and upper chest!

I'm going to say this as nicely as possible: YOUR DIET SUCKS.

Don't cut. Don't bulk. Hell, you lost 55 pounds and you're still 20% body fat? What does that tell you?

What you NEED to do is learn PROPER EATING HABITS!!!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    :withstupi

seriously, I cant even find the words to describe the horror I read
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Banned
    1 cup of hearshy's chocolate syrup? Did you actually measure that out? Because that is a LOT of syrup...

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    That is possibly the worst diet I have ever seen. Your health is going to severely suffer if you do not change your eating habits.

You should start eating things from these two sites:
    http://www.whfoods.com/
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by spectralshadow View Post
    So, this might be a long story so I'll try to make it as short as possible. This is more of a background and the question is at the bottom if you want to skip it.

When I started to go into a "cut" (if you could call it that, even) in late May, I was 220 lbs. All I really ate was wheat (frosted wheaties for breakfast, turkey on wheat for lunch, foot long turkey on wheat from subway for dinner, and something like popcorn or wheaties for a bedtime snack), and that is all I'd eat. I did that until probably late October, and pounds dropped fast. I also did a good deal of HIIT (worked my way from 4 minutes per session and doing a session every 2 days to 9 or 10 minutes per session every 2 days). I kept highdrated and kept drinking lots of milk (3 or so avg. bottles a day of water and 1-2 glasses of milk before bed and maybe 2-3 in the time span of the day). Now I've moved into a new house and my workout is a bit restricted. I haven't been eating any of that, and I've been cut down on water (by choice I guess. I just don't drink a lot anymore. I've went around 2 days without any form of drink). I haven't been doing HIIT but I've been lifting weights alot. I don't eat alot either (anymore), but in the past few days I have been pigging out, and I'm scared to gain weight back because, chances are, I'll probably go on a huge cut again, and I don't want to. I'd rather lose it gradually (maybe 5 pounds a month to get ready for summer, not 10-20 a month like I did). Just to give you an idea of what I've been choking down:

4-5 Bread Sticks
    Lasagna Plate

Monday:

1.5 cups of deep fried chicken fingers crap
    1 cup of deep fried mozerella sticks crap
    1 cup of ice cream crap
    2 slices of ham crap
    1 cup of hershey's chocolate syrup (some mixed with milk, otherwise I turned the bottle up, hehe) crap
    1 cup hot chocolate crap
    1 peanut and butter jelly sammich on wheat crap

Overall thats a lot of greasy fatty food (mostly saturated fat, almost no mono/poly fats), very little protein and a LOAD of sugar.

Tuesday (today)

2.5 cups of ice cream crap. Pure sugar and bad fats
    2 slices of ham + ham (2-3 slices) and cheese sammich on wheat barely excusable
    1 cup of hershey's chocolate syrup (mixed with ice cream or poured down my mouth) crap
    2 small bags of buttered popcorn (about 1/4 the size of a normal bag) no matter how little you eat it's still crap that shouldn't be in a serious cutting diet

I measured my weight Monday morning, and I didn't show a gain of any weight (about 163-165), and I'm wondering... When you get skinnier, does your matabolism increase, so it makes it harder to gain weight? Because before I pigged out I ate just enough to get by, and I was still losing weight (not alot, maybe 1-2 pounds every few days, but I'd gain them back).
    Are you serious?

That is possibly the worst. diet. ever.

And no, as your weight decreases, your requirements decrease too.

Maybe if you were actually giving your body wholesome, healthy foods you might see some results. Your body needs fuel and protein for recovery. You want to lose fat and not muscle. You need protein to sustain the muscle (in combination with your workouts, of course.)

At the moment your "diet" is around 80% sugar and fat. It's horrible.

"1 cup of hershey's chocolate syrup (mixed with ice cream or poured down my mouth)"

It must be a joke, "poured down my mouth"? this cant be serious
    Work facinates me, I can stare at it for hours...

next-tyson-but-white arnoldsclone's Avatar

4-5 Bread Sticks
    Lasagna Plate

Monday:

1.5 cups of deep fried chicken fingers
    1 cup of deep fried mozerella sticks
    1 cup of ice cream
    2 slices of ham
    1 cup of hershey's chocolate syrup (some mixed with milk, otherwise I turned the bottle up, hehe)
    1 cup hot chocolate
    1 peanut and butter jelly sammich on wheat

Tuesday (today)

2.5 cups of ice cream
    2 slices of ham
    ham (2-3 slices) and cheese sammich on wheat
    1 cup of hershey's chocolate syrup (mixed with ice cream or poured down my mouth)
    2 small bags of buttered popcorn (about 1/4 the size of a normal bag)

I would be the worlds fattest fatty if i ate half of the **** you have been eating, good lord! You need to change things a bunch.tuttut you need to eat 6 meals a day all spaced out 3 hours frommeal to meal. you need to eat a big breakfast, lots of whole grains and protein, 500 calls or so. Then 3 hrs later eat a small 300-350 cal meal. then eat a moderate 400-500 cal lunch. then 3 hrs later eat a small 300 cal meal. then go workout then after the workout eat a large 500-600 cal meal and lastly have some protein before you go to bed perhaps a 300 cal whey shake, or a half cup of cottage cheese. You'll be satiated all the time, and never give your body enough cals at any given time to store any of it for fat, just maintain muscle instead. no more simple carbs, no white bread unless you are still sweating from a workout, or will be in 5 minutes, no more sugar for you! no more excess fats, try to eat healthy fats such as olvie oil, or peanut butter, or nuts etc. You're gonna give yourself complications eating so poorly later on in life!

Ahnold says, " milk is for babies!"
    "deadlift if you know"- myself
    Boxing/ working out 5 days a week!
    6'1"- 230lbs-and bulking till i can't stand the mirror
    Former fatass- whent from 302lbs to 207 lbs rippling 05-06
    bench 315
    deadlift 455
    squat 405
    big 3 total = 1175 lbs of RAW IRON!!!MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Woah woah woah, I never said that was my diet, lol. I have a proper diet and everything, I just have these food binges where I'll eat anything I can get my hands on in the house.

Anthony, I was about 28% or so bodyfat a month or two before I started cutting. I think I made decent progress.

It's a Republic dammit! reloaded's Avatar
    You're gonna lose weight if you continue to eat below maintenance calories. Obviously by have a crap diet, your body won't resember anything "athletic," but you could be a skinnier version of your past self. People on here realize that by having good macros (sufficient protein, carbs, fat), you have the best chance of having their *ideal* body and a body that works efficiently. Eating like that could be detrimental to overall health and bodily processes, but not necessarily weight gain.
    Too cool for school.
    My Blog

Anthony, I was about 28% or so bodyfat a month or two before I started cutting. I think I made decent progress.
    If your numbers are legit, you lost 26lbs of lean body mass during your cut. Don't take this the wrong way, but that was horrible.

Please, please, please do some research on proper eating habits and do things slowly next time!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by nthorpe View Post
    "1 cup of hershey's chocolate syrup (mixed with ice cream or poured down my mouth)"

It must be a joke, "poured down my mouth"? this cant be serious
    I used to live with a roommate who would eat Ovaltine straight from the jar, so this -- as sad as it sounds -- is entirely believable.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles