Thread: Little bro.

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar

Little bro.

My little brother is finally letting me teach him the art of becoming huge. Would WWB1 be a good start or BGB. I'm thinking BGB since it worked so well for me....but then again, hes never lifted anything in his life. He's 15 years old, 175 at 6'2. I'm guessing him at 17% bodyfat. So yea, hes pretty frail/lanky looking but he wants to be big and strong to get a starting position next football season.

I told him if he lifts/eats right I could probably get him up to 220 easily. I dont know if thats a too big but he IS a noob and I plan to really teach him how to actually bodybuild.

Anything else you guys could tell/show me would be cool. I'm not good at young kids and even though he is really young, he just got out of a huge growth spurt so I think he may be ready.

-jordan
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

WBB1 is easy. Maybe I'm just a lazy ass, but I would want to start him off on something as simple as possible to make it less work for me. Once he gets the mechanics and muscle groups down you can wean him onto bgb or other more complex routine.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

Quote Originally Posted by dw06wu View Post
    WBB1 is easy. Maybe I'm just a lazy ass, but I would want to start him off on something as simple as possible to make it less work for me. Once he gets the mechanics and muscle groups down you can wean him onto bgb or other more complex routine.
    He thinks it will take him 2 workouts to get everything down.

I told him it takes countless years before you can actually say you know everything about weightlifting and bodybuilding.
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    I told him it takes countless years before you can actually say you know everything about weightlifting and bodybuilding.
    You'll never know "everything" about weightlifting and bodybuilding. It's a learning process not only with reading, but with personal experience of learning how your body reacts to various things. It's a lifetime journey, really.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

You should have him sprinting and doing other means of training besides weights. Make sure to work on his flexibility and explosiveness. Id say use alot of free weights and compound exercises when you do train him.
    Don't Cry Because Its Over; Smile Because It's Happened
    Shut Up and Do Some Deadlifts

As of 11/13/06

Age - 19
    Ht - 6'2''
    Weight - 260lbs x 1 (goal -20lbs)
    Bench - 260lbs x 1 (goal +40lbs)
    Squat - 550lbs x 1 (happy for now)
    Deadlift - 405 x 1 after 2 sets of 6 with 315 (goal +95lbs)
    Supplements - Whey Protein, Fish Oil, Multi-Vitamin.
    outnumber

teach him how to work out and the basics of a good diet. and let him do what he wants with what u tell him. don't force him to workout the way u want, however tempting that might be. He's only 15, he should be having fun.

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

Quote Originally Posted by PGreezy View Post
    You should have him sprinting and doing other means of training besides weights. Make sure to work on his flexibility and explosiveness. Id say use alot of free weights and compound exercises when you do train him.
    +1 What he said.

If the younger bro is looking at becoming a football player he needs more than a bodybuilding bulking routine. Something with Power Cleans would be helpful. Maybe some of the HIIT stuff from Crossfit too.

When two-a-days start next August he'll be cursing your name if all you've done over the past eight months is add 50 pounds to his frame, even if the majority of that bulk is muscle.

Give him strength, speed, power, agility, flexibility and good eating habits.

But above all give him knowledge.

You know he'll thank you for that down the road.

Good luck.

Dude! I would love to be your little bro!

Not just that, take it from someone who is a little brother that looks up to his big brother alot.

Having the same interest and hobby like this will make you very close. I ask my brother everything, about girls, about what I should do to the guys whos been giving me crap, everything. Theres a 10 year age gap, but were very close.

I know with me and my bro, it was lifting, and skydiving, that brought us really close.

Im sure your bro will come to treasure every single moment he spends with you in the weights room, I know I do with mine.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post

Not just that, take it from someone who is a little brother that looks up to his big brother alot.

Having the same interest and hobby like this will make you very close. I ask my brother everything, about girls, about what I should do to the guys whos been giving me crap, everything. Theres a 10 year age gap, but were very close.

I know with me and my bro, it was lifting, and skydiving, that brought us really close.

Im sure your bro will come to treasure every single moment he spends with you in the weights room, I know I do with mine.
    ...Awww...lol!

Hmmm

I have an older brother who I'm trying to get into the gym. He's so damn lazy. I've tried all sorts of approaches - dangling a carrot ("it's fun, you will feel great, look good") - chasing with a stick ("you look like crap, in 5 years you're gonna be a heart condition candidate"). Nothing seems to work. I guess you can't help everyone

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefrog View Post
    Hmmm

I have an older brother who I'm trying to get into the gym. He's so damn lazy. I've tried all sorts of approaches - dangling a carrot ("it's fun, you will feel great, look good") - chasing with a stick ("you look like crap, in 5 years you're gonna be a heart condition candidate"). Nothing seems to work. I guess you can't help everyone
    I have a brother like that, I tried hard and nothing worked, he was against being tough, strong and muscular, he was into being skinny, weak and weird.
    He is much younger than me
    Last edited by Sexybeast777; 11-28-2006 at 01:44 AM.

^^^ Maybe hes intimidated by you. Or maybe hes jealous of you. Were you always the fit strong athletic child, him the stick dweeb?

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Thanks guys for all the advice.

I had always planned to start doing some HIIT drills and other similar endurance/speed/agility drills before the season but not till around april.....maybe even push it back to may. Right now I think running and training would be to much for him (he'd probably get overwhelmed and stop). Plus if hes anything like me he'll hate to run with a passion.

I agree that he needs/should be having fun. Maybe I'll design my own split for him.....I know it would have to be something simple. NO isolation excersizes at all.......atleast while hes just starting out. He'll probably wanna do bicep curls to get those monster arms but we'll all know its the chins that are doing it.

Let me take a look at WBB1. I'll see how that is. I already told him that both of us will probably be doing different excersizes/different splits since hes just starting and I've been at this for 2 years and more..
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

IF you on diff excersizes, make sure you take the time to work with him every now and then. Its a big help, and little bros dont like to dissapoint big bros.

Ive got an older brother (21 years old) whos lazy and doesnt like to excersise. Hes a big, broad guy who would out do me in strength easily if he worked half as hard as I do. He has the frame for it, hes just missing the mentality (the most important part really).

I cant convince him to move his ass.

JBC - WBB1 would be best. Plyometrics and Oly lifting would be good stuff to.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post

Fuzzy's right, This means a lot to your bro. I also have 2 older brothers and I really look up to them.

In my case, it's a little different, I'm kind of the "trainer" for us, rather than him teaching me. (I owe it all to WBB!)

Whatever the case, time in the gym w/ your bro is good times...Male bonding and all that crap...whatever!
    age---------22
    weight------140 145 150 155 160 165 170 and counting
    height------ 5'9"

Bench 225x1 | Squat 325x1 | Deadlift 355x5
    My Journal

Remember - if it were easy then everyone would do it.

I've said this before, I think the best starting place, especially for someone that young, is to work on GPP and learn how to lift for a couple of months.

Don't worry so much about a routine, other than building a gym habit. I would have him train 4 times a week or so, two upper focus days and two lower focus days (or 3 full body), where he does basic bodyweight stuff, some squattin', tuggin' and pressin', and gets himself into shape.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Yup.

GPP over hugeness.

He wants to be an athlete right? Not a bodybuilder.

The hardest part was establishing habits and routines. Im at thet poin were I automatically wake up at 4:28 am. Two minutes before my alarm to go train at 5.30.

Once its a routine, and once lifting is a habit to your brother, then its all fun and gains from there.
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 11-29-2006 at 01:49 PM.

Banned
    Definetly tell him the benefits of compound movements and get him doing those mainly. Also tell him how important it is to eat loads, simple really.