The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yep. Leave 'em alone unless they're directly competing or threatening. That lion PROBABLY hadn't been killing tourists so I was rooting for it.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Pointless. You could see its legs beginning to go as it jumped though. Would have been much better if it had ripped the guy wide open.

If he'd been hurt worse he would have deserved it.

If he'd been killed instantly I HOPE nobody here would be cheering.

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8

IMO that was some pretty cool ****

next-tyson-but-white arnoldsclone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer View Post
    I don't see a correlation between crazy shotgunning a family and killing of a top level predator. One is detrimental to yourself (as you'll probably get caught and sent to prison forever or be executed) and the other is better for your species as a whole.

Besides, we have adapted to people kicking in doors and killing everyone. That's how it used to be even just a few hundred years ago during raids between nations or tribes. The human race is still here despite that. Laws and social conditioning were our cultural evolution.

I'm mainly playing devil's advocate here, for the record. My true thoughts are as simple as I don't care what lives or dies as long as it's not us as a species or something we like eating or petting. Keep the chain intact that feeds the chickens, cows, pigs, cats, and dogs and I'm good.
    you're a bad man, plainly put, i hope you don't have kids, they'll be bad too.....:alcoholic

Ahnold says, " milk is for babies!"
    "deadlift if you know"- myself
    Boxing/ working out 5 days a week!
    6'1"- 230lbs-and bulking till i can't stand the mirror
    Former fatass- whent from 302lbs to 207 lbs rippling 05-06
    bench 315
    deadlift 455
    squat 405
    big 3 total = 1175 lbs of RAW IRON!!!MUAHAHAHAHAHA

It's not so bad... a lot of creatures are needed to keep us alive, after all. Kill the plankton, kill the world. I'm all for saving the plankton. I just don't care that the whales that eat it sometimes get stuck in our nets and drown.

I'll agree that the lion deserved to own them but ... why exactly could we do with another lion?

Lions are dangerous. They are bigger than us, stronger than us, faster than us. They are predators. Given the chance they would eat our young as they have been doing around african villages for as long as there have been lions and villages.

What purpose does a lion or any big cat serve, really? Keep the gazelle population down? We can do that ourselves... and gazelle don't eat what we eat. Let them eat enough grass that large numbers of them die off... so what?

If an animal can't adapt to the changes we make to the world or our predations then it fails Darwinism 101 ... it is not fit therefore it does not survive. I don't weep for the polar bears dying to climate change, feel remorse for the seals slaughtered, or give a rat's ass about the whales and dolphins caught by accident in our nets (any more than I care about said rat's asses that we kill by the millions every year. Despite our efforts to wipe them out rats persist: They are fit and therefore worthy.).

I only care about the species wiped out by environmental stresses as warning signs for our own species' survival. Other than that I won't particularly mourn the passing of the last great white shark, even if they are cool as all hell.
    Because we have the power to abuse and destroy our ecosystem, does it mean we should?

Of course not. Truly 'abusing' the ecosytem would have ramnifications for us.

How would filling the role of all the other top level predators on earth abuse the system? Does earth care who kills a gazelle... lions or people... as long as enough of them get killed to maintain a balance?

Quote Originally Posted by betastas View Post
    I still wish the lion owned them. We have enough douchebags in the world, we could do with another lion though.
    x2

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    I sure hope all you guys are vegetarians.
    I am

If he'd been hurt worse he would have deserved it.

If he'd been killed instantly I HOPE nobody here would be cheering.

I would.

Wow, that was pretty insane. Yes, I admit it would be pretty hard to shoot a lion when it's running full speed at you, especially when your trying to look down a scope, but, there was four of them, and they shot a million times. I've hit moving deer with a shotgun before, you'd think 1 out of 4 people could hit a lion, especially when it's running straight at you and not to the side....
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Of course not. Truly 'abusing' the ecosytem would have ramnifications for us.

How would filling the role of all the other top level predators on earth abuse the system? Does earth care who kills a gazelle... lions or people... as long as enough of them get killed to maintain a balance?
    Well, I'll avoid getting into a discussion about the complexity of the ecosystem. You're right that ONE lion wont make a difference. If you multiply it many times, it will.

The earth would be pretty boring without any other creatures other than the ones we raise to eat.

It's not so bad... a lot of creatures are needed to keep us alive, after all. Kill the plankton, kill the world. I'm all for saving the plankton. I just don't care that the whales that eat it sometimes get stuck in our nets and drown.
    Your a cold person.

Yes, the ecosystem is incredibly complex... but breaking it down I fail to see what a lion accomplishes that a person couldn't.

Predators have died out before. We nearly drove wolves extinct... yet for some reason we weren't completely swarmed by deer and rabbits. Almost as if some other predator stepped in during certain seasons of the year and hunted them to keep the population down. Perhaps some sort of omnivorus plains ape. One of the tool using kind because they couldn't take a deer in a fair fight.

How many species have gone extinct in the past few hundred years? Has the world ground to a halt as a result of their passing? Any of the great die offs millions of years ago wiped out 70-90% of all life on earth and life bounced back.

So really... what do other predators contribute that we can't handle ourselves?

Quote Originally Posted by stevec087 View Post
    Your a cold person.
    I eat meat. Why is the life of a cow worth less than the life of a whale? Are the thousands of cows killed every day to be mourned less than a single strangled dolphin? What did the cows do to deserve it more than the dolphin?

Nothing. How could I stand the hypocracy if I assigned a worth to either's life?

So really... what do other predators contribute that we can't handle ourselves?
    It's already been proven that humans are incapable of handling the responsiblity of culling animals, considering we've hunted hundreds of species to extinction.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Has it happened recently and in the first world? Many species are bouncing back these days (including the wolves). If we can nurture species from the brink why can we not handle culling? You know, aside from the massive amount of protesters interfering with our boats.

But how many did we loose?

I eat meat. Why is the life of a cow worth less than the life of a whale? Are the thousands of cows killed every day to be mourned less than a single strangled dolphin? What did the cows do to deserve it more than the dolphin?

Nothing. How could I stand the hypocracy if I assigned a worth to either's life?
    UHHHHHHHH, The cows dying serve a PURPOSE... PEOPLE EAT COWS!!

A whale dying in a net intended for other things serves NO PURPOSE to humanity. DUH!

I don't think anyone except for diehard PETA people care if cows/chickens/pigs/etc etc are killed as long as it helps maintain the health of other living things.

On the otherhand, whales getting caught in nets, lions getting shot by crappy hunters serves no purpose.

I understand the point your trying to make but it's not as simple as your trying to make it.
    Last edited by stevec087; 11-29-2006 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownSoldier View Post
    But how many did we loose?
    A fraction of a fraction of those lost to the last ice age?

Has it happened recently and in the first world? Many species are bouncing back these days (including the wolves). If we can nurture species from the brink why can we not handle culling? You know, aside from the massive amount of protesters interfering with our boats.
    Your talking about a few isolated instances, it took me 5 seconds to do a search on wikipedia.

According to a 1998 survey of 400 biologists conducted by New York's American Museum of Natural History, nearly 70 percent of biologists believe that we are currently in the early stages of a human-caused mass extinction,[10] known as the Holocene extinction event. In that survey, the same proportion of respondents agreed with the prediction that up to 20 percent of all living species could become extinct within 30 years (by 2028). Biologist E.O. Wilson estimated [4] in 2002 that if current rates of human destruction of the biosphere continue, one-half of all species of life on earth will be extinct in 100 years.

Wikipedia isn't the most reliable source, but I think that if you do a little research you'll most likely find that there is a definite trend.

Quote Originally Posted by stevec087 View Post
    UHHHHHHHH, The cows dying serve a PURPOSE... PEOPLE EAT COWS!!

A whale dying in a net intended for other things serves NO PURPOSE to humanity. DUH!

I don't think anyone except for diehard PETA people care if cows/chickens/pigs/etc etc are killed as long as it helps maintain the health of other living things.

On the otherhand, whales getting caught in nets, lions getting shot by crappy hunters serves no purpose.

I understand the point your trying to make but it's not as simple as your trying to make it.
    Why shouldn't it be as simple as I make it? It somehow makes it worse when we kill an animal by accident as opposed to design? No. A life is a life. Those people who care about the whales but not about the chickens? Why not? Why is some life greater than others?

Those whales aren't wasted. Some are harvested or sold to a harvesting nation. Many more are donated to science. Even if they're just simply cut loose they sink to the bottom where they become incredible deposits of life. This was their fate all along: To feed the bottom feeders and all kinds of microfauna. That it happened sooner rather than later is what it is. People die in accidents every day. So do dogs, cats, and anything else on earth. Why should things in the ocean get a magical immunity? Why should anything?

Edit: And if the current rate of destruction of the environment continues we could be part of that half lost. That realization WILL eventually cause someone important to do something. Other than that the loss of half the life on earth doesn't particularly bother me any more than losing the dinosaurs did.
    Last edited by ShockBoxer; 11-29-2006 at 09:03 PM.

You guys aren't giving ShockBoxer a fair shake, here - I'm completely with him on this one. I can't understand how people line up and get mechanical cranes and teams of volunteers to help a beached whale, but nobody raises a stink when the African dungbeetle starts getting wiped out by the spread of urban sprawl (for the record, I just made up a fictitious bug, but come to think of it, I'll bet there actually *is* an African dungbeetle... you get my point).

To everyone attacking him, ask yourselves why whales/dolphins/pandas/Californian condors are so deserving of our protection. Has it occurred to you that the reason you care about saving these cute, cuddly creatures is because there's some group out there jumping up and down, crying "SAVE THE WHALES?" Why not save the dungbeetles?
    Last edited by McIrish; 11-30-2006 at 03:06 AM.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

One point that should be really hit on here is they do this for fun. All they want is the head of a lion in their million dollar home over their fireplace, so they can exclaim their unprecedented hunting abilities to their stuck-up comrades from wherever. If they did this to survive and to feed themselves I wouldn't mind. It's the same thing as hunting deer. The only difference is I actually eat what I kill and I don't kill it to just kill it. I kill it so I have something to eat. Yes, I could go eat beef that I would pay for in the supermarket but it's cheaper to have seventy pounds of venison for a twenty five dollar price tag for a license and a twenty cent piece of ammunition.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    Watching those skinny little pricks shoot at an animal that wasn't directly threatening them makes me want to kill them. It's their attitudes and high fives. I guess they needed to do something like that to validate their pathetic existences. And no, I'm not interested in getting caught up in this argument; I just wanted to state my anger.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

I agree that the Lion hunt was pretty lame.

But answer this, who here hunts for Deer? Pheasant? Turkey? Elk? Moose? Coyote? Fox? Do we need those animals to survive? Definitely not. Are they harming us or posing a threat in anyway? Definitely not. Then how is shooting a Deer much different than shooting a lion?

I actually have a friend that went to Africa for a Safari hunt for spring break with his dad. I wouldn't mind doing something like that myself. At least it's a little more challenging knowing your prey could possbily kill you than say sitting in a treestand picking off a deer that has no clue your there.

Yes, I hunt, a lot. I'm like sharkall, we have our deer processed, and don't even care about big bucks and such, we just want the meat. Some people are different though.

I just don't see how killing a Lion equates to the possible end of the world. And I'm sorry stevec087, but that wiki article is rediculous. I take every new scientific theory with a grain of salt. Half that crap is just made up from a bunch of over paid scientists working in a thinktank and is never even close to being proven.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002