Thread: I think I hurt myself on the smith machine

Get big.

I think I hurt myself on the smith machine

I was doing calf raises this morning (after I had already done squats and lunges) and may have used too much weight. I felt like I was going to puke after two sets but I usually get that when I work out real hard so nothing new there.

The problem is that after I was leaving, I noticed a bad pain in my neck. The muscle on the back left side (maybe my sternocleidomastoid muscle) hurts like hell when I try to touch my left ear to my shoulder. In fact, I can't even begin to tilt my head towards my left shoulder. I guess I just 'pulled' something but my question is if there is anything I can do to releave the pain and make sure I don't injure it anymore. I don't want this to get in the way of my lifting. Tomorrow is my bis and tris day and then Friday I'm working shoulders (with Saturday + Sunday off). Thanks for any advice

RICE, although, the compression probably wouldnt work, and the elevation is a natural occurance lol.

Honestly though, dont use hte smith machine; not saying it caused this but it definately isnt doing you any favours. If the pain doesnt subside in a couple days go see a doc, but he'll probably just say you shoudl take ibuprofin and ice it till the pain goes away.

Just dont work out until the pain is gone, you definately will do yourself more harm then good!
    Stats:
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

Get big.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian
    Just dont work out until the pain is gone, you definately will do yourself more harm then good!
    That's not what I wanted to hear... would doing my bicep/tricep work out be a really bad idea? I had a crappy week in the gym last week and wanted to make up for it with a beastly workout this week but then I go and hurt myself on the smith machine

Don't use the Smith machine anymore.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Don't use the Smith machine anymore.
    This should be the answer to all smith machine related questions. lol