The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OMG OMG - Ive been put on standby...

...FOR SURGERY... Tomorrow!

AHHHHH!

Im so anxious/nervous... But the worst part of all is that it is the WORST possible day for it to happen... lol...

My mother, step father, and grandmother are in Orlando
    My dad is going out of town
    Deeder is writing exams
    and my sister is MIA.

My step mom is going to drive me there and back but im still going to be stuck in the hospital (Assuming I even get in) for an unknown amount of hours by myself... Ive never been in a hospital before so Im ****ing terrified! I have had less then 24 hours notice and yeah... Very nervous here, happy but still nervous...

Hopefully I can get in tomorrow, and hopefully someone can sit with me and keep me occupied and relaxed...
    Stats:
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

What surgery would this be?

Good Luck, hope all goes well. Try to preoccupy yourself and not stress yourself... easier said than done I know.
    6'3"

*on the shelf*

Knee surgery.... They're doing arthroscopy, drilling a hole in my kneecap to even out the edges, removing any loose cartilidge and performing a lateral release on my right knee and maybe my left...

I was told it would be 6 months, its been a little over 1
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

Oh wow, that's rough. Well, good luck with everything. I'm sure you'll bounce back quick.

Not sure if this is helpful, but a friend at work and his father were putting on a new roof last Thursday and his father slipped and fell off. Yup, Thanksgiving day. He broke both legs, tore both ACLs and shattered his heels. He still hasn't had his operation. You'll do all right!

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
    Knee surgery.... They're doing arthroscopy, drilling a hole in my kneecap to even out the edges, removing any loose cartilidge and performing a lateral release on my right knee and maybe my left...

I was told it would be 6 months, its been a little over 1
    Dont sweat it. Its not going to be nearly as bad as you think it'll be. You'll just be very bored for a while, thats probably the worst part in the hospital. I'd be more worried about after you get out of the hospital, possibly messing it up more or something like that.

I've had surgery before, you go to sleep and wake up and everything is done. Other then that you get ice-cream and stuff, people wait on you hand and foot and you can attach a bell to deeders forehead so if you get cranky you can ring it like crazy.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

good luck with your surgery, heal quick
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Been there.

I had to have surgery on my finger. My gf couldn't come in with me. First time for me, so nervous. I hate hospitals too.

I actually almost fainted when I had to clean my arm. But the nurse through on some O2, then the seditives...

Nothing mattered at that point. Hopefully you find someone to pick you up, thats a totall bummer.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

I'll send for your left over pankillers.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Just when you were starting to squat again...
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 205

Don't worry. I've been scoped 7 times. Seems you are doing a little bit more, but I was up and walking relatively quickly.

Now if you have reconstruction, that is a b*tch.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    I've had surgery before, you go to sleep and wake up and everything is done. Other then that you get ice-cream and stuff, people wait on you hand and foot and you can attach a bell to deeders forehead so if you get cranky you can ring it like crazy.
    I wish.. I dont even think he'll be able to see me in the hospital Or be there when I get out, let alone wait on me hand and foot.

Quote Originally Posted by ddegroff View Post
    I had to have surgery on my finger. My gf couldn't come in with me. First time for me, so nervous. I hate hospitals too.

Nothing mattered at that point. Hopefully you find someone to pick you up, thats a totall bummer.
    I dont HATE hospitals, but I have never been admitted since I was a fresh baby (aka. newborn). I am just nervous about going in and getting surgery, and I havnt exactly had time to prepare; maybe its better this way? My step mom is going to drive me there and back, and a girlfriend of mine is going to come hunker out with me if it works out with her work schedual... God I hope I actually get in, otherwise Im going to strangle myself or something from the stress.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey66 View Post
    Just when you were starting to squat again...
    I KNOW!!! *wrinkles nose* Oh well, the sooner the surgery, the sooner I can start training heavy, the sooner I can compete. Im going to (hopefully) get in for physio at a sports training facility so they can get me prepared for powerlifting sooner. Ill do massage alot too (im a huge believer in the healing properties of muscle manipulation), because my massage therapist is liscenced in this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    Don't worry. I've been scoped 7 times. Seems you are doing a little bit more, but I was up and walking relatively quickly.

Now if you have reconstruction, that is a b*tch.
    YEah, Im hoping that this initial surgery will do the trick, because the ONLY other thing I could do is a complete reconstruction and I DONT want to go to that unless it is an absolute last resort!

12 hours and counting until Ill know for sure if I get in... Cross your fingers, or pray for me (whatever floats your boat) because Ill be pretty miffed if I dont get in today... Simply because of all the hub bub and stress...
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    I waited 6 months for a donor tissue replacement surgery. The day before surgery, after working myself up, they called me and said the donor tissue had a defect and they had to discard it. That made my head spin. A few weeks later, however, a new tissue came in. I know how it feels to go through this. You'll get over it. Trust me. I had to stay over night. When I had arthroscopy for a knee clean up like you, I was walking soon after. My bone and cartilage partial knee replacement graft was pretty harsh and I am finally becoming normal again. It will be a year on December 25th. I think I may actually be able to start squatting. That would be nice.

Anyway, the hospital isn't scary. Those gowns they make you wear are, though...lol. Good luck!
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 11-28-2006 at 07:13 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Good luck. Hopefully they take care of everything so you are back 100%.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

You must be in Canada?
    I have heard about people there having to wait many months for medical due to proceedural and beaurocratic administration.
    Last edited by zen; 11-29-2006 at 05:49 AM.

It's not that bad! More than likely you'll wake up high on morphine while they feed you Popsicles.

Good luck!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Still no word yet.... I have an hour and a half left of possible waiting *wrinkles nose*

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    I waited 6 months for a donor tissue replacement surgery. The day before surgery, after working myself up, they called me and said the donor tissue had a defect and they had to discard it. That made my head spin. A few weeks later, however, a new tissue came in. I know how it feels to go through this. You'll get over it. Trust me. I had to stay over night. When I had arthroscopy for a knee clean up like you, I was walking soon after. My bone and cartilage partial knee replacement graft was pretty harsh and I am finally becoming normal again. It will be a year on December 25th. I think I may actually be able to start squatting. That would be nice.
    Anyway, the hospital isn't scary. Those gowns they make you wear are, though...lol. Good luck!
    Yeah... Going assless is a bit terrifying LOL! im glad you got your tissue after, I dont have to worry about that and I hope I never do, the recovery for me is looking like 4-8 weeks before I can start lifting (light) again. I imagine another month after that before I can start lifting heavier, and probably middle spring I can start training for powerlifting.

Quote Originally Posted by ericg View Post
    Good luck. Hopefully they take care of everything so you are back 100%.
    Agreed!! Its been FAR Too long that Ive been babying this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by zen View Post
    You must be in Canada?
    I have heard about people there having to wait many months for medical due to proceedural and beaurocratic administration.
    What gave that away LOL! We have to wait so long because its free!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    It's not that bad! More than likely you'll wake up high on morphine while they feed you Popsicles.

Good luck!
    MUAHAHAH!!! Im excited, never been high before.... and I cant exactly feel bad about being high on pain meds now can I As for the popsicles, I think Ill be craving a nice big fat steak, although, my family has a history of getting extremely sick when they get off general anaesthetic (my mom, grandma, and half brother all do). Ive never been on it before so I will have absolutely no idea what to expect, although, im going to tell the doc that and just request that I get gravol immediately as I wake up, just so I can hopefully bypass that whole situation!

God am I nervous .... and hungry
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

good luck with everything! hopefully it all goes well.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

AHHH! I got in!!!

Surgery today! I imagine i wont be alive for the next week or so... not on here anyway... *Dances*
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

Goodluck with it! Im sure all will be good and you will be better than new.
    To anyone else(since I dont think the OP will be able to reply), does anyone know what caused the injury to start with?

Good luck Ruff!

Good luck!

Gamer/Lifter
    Clam down.

Put it this way, my mom was a nurse and she would sometimes assist in surgeries and those doctors perform those things SO MUCH ITS NOT FUNNY. Its normal to them. Don't worry, hope for a hot nurse and enjoy getting high.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Yeah, maybe you'll even get a sponge bath from a hot nurse.
    Face it: biceps are the muscle that classifies you as a muscle man.

Striding across the fields, carrying a vorpal blade, cometh Clawhammer! And he gives a bloodthirsty bellow:

"As sure as predators devour prey, I shall paint the town a sanguine shade of doom!!!"
    Hilarity

you guys realize shes a girl right?
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW