The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Weightlifting for martial arts

Hi

Im 15 years old and have been working out for about 1.5 years and going martial arts for the same. Right now in the gym I do a 3 day split. Chest/Tri Back/Bi etc. I know this is good for muscular hyperthropy but is it good for strength and speed? I need a workout plan or suggestions that would help me for martial arts. Im in no holds barred by the way. Someone suggested doing plyometrics but I'm not sure. This is great for explosiveness and fast twitch fibers but I need raw strength, speed, and endurance more then anything.

One more question. Doing this kind of training, can you still put on a bit of muscle mass too?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    i tell this to a lot of ppl; u have to train sports and raw strength in separate seasons. assuming u are in nhb, u prolly wrestle a lot, which slows down ur muscle gains if u do both in the same months.

the best thing is to lift for all the months that u don't train (u should not train a sport year-round imo)
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000

wait a minit, u are 15 and doing NHB? i thought u have to be 18?!!
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin

lifted since march 2000

I dont think there's any age rules, but I live in Canada it might be different up here. I just got into it and am not competing yet. I do about 2-3 hours of hard wrestling total a week of wrestling, the rest is standup and learning new techniques. I dont really have an offseason so what should I do for weight training right now?

search for boxing and kickboxing and martial arts as seperate search itmes as theres been quite a bit of discussion lately on these subjects.

I am boxinf 3 times a week, and normally running these days also. I then train with weights twice a week. I was going to do something like Day 1 - push and day 4 lesg/pull however I read an article on martial arts training and decided to go for.

monday: squats/bench
    thursday: deadlift/bench,

5 sets on each, reps are 5,4,3,2,1 with identical rest periods in between sets. Seems to be working for me ok so far but its too early to tell.
    Last edited by Joe Black; 02-10-2002 at 01:09 PM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Bigger fewl
    Powerlifting would not help you nearly as much as speed/power based exercises.

Olympic lifting all the way.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow!

Carpe diem

Milk.... it does the body good.

Thanks, I thinking olympic lifting might be a good place to start.

I don't know too much about olympic lifting though. To train for it do you just do snatch and clean and jerk? I really like doing squats, bench, deadlifts, shoulder presses etc, the basic lifts. I'd rather not give those up if possible.

I know that it requires very strict form so I'll have a trainer help me out, but most trainers dont understand what I'm looking for and give me stuff that isnt releated. Could someone maybe post a link or a sample routine of some olympic lifting programs or maybe something that would be good for nhb fighting?

With this kind of lifting will it make me faster as well? I want to be fast and strong, muscle mass isnt that important to me. Being cut with a decent build is what I prefer.

Banned

Hey Coleman

So you say your in MMA/NHB and your 15.
    What organization do you fight through,
    whos your traininer,
    what type of MMA/NHB,
    oh yea, and there is no MMA/NHB fighting organizations for 15 year olds in canada. Just wrestling, and shootfighting. But shootfighting won let young people fight.
    What do you train, submission.THAI K/B, grappling, ????
    For MMA you need muscle endurence as well as SPEED.
    Im curious what kind of COMP you fight in, because canada will not sanction any form of MMA/NHB for teens.

I'm not competing yet, just training. I know that your not allowed until your 18. We do have amature shows here, I've been to a few myself and watched. I train at toshido submission fighting, in Kelowna BC. Its run by David Lea. Prior to that I was learning muay thai from Vince Ross. (former welterweight world champ). The class is basically a no holds barred fighting class. We learn grappling, ground and pound, clinch work, stand up, takedowns and other things. I dont know if I'm going to be competing ever I just want to train like nhb fighters do so I can get better in my class and possibily do amature shows one day.

What's the recommended way to train for nhb combat? I know that you (Ken Shamrock) are a great fighter and I'd love to know how you train.

Banned

Well

Well im not Ken shamrock, Just an admirer,
    Im 17 and i train at the lions den submission academy in san diego 1 time per month for 5 days straight.
    YOU NEED ENURENCE, i cant stress that enuf. You need to be well rounded in fitness. Not just strong but to have muscle endurence.
    Stick with bodybuilding for a while untill you get some good mass. Do extensive cardio, and i dont mean jogging on a tred mill i mean running untill you feel like your about to die. But you want to stick with 1 instructer, Im trying out for ken shamrocks elite submission team in 2 years, iv been training with him for about 1 year, and ill always be training with him,
    It sounds like you dont want MMA/NHB as a life. unlike me, its going tobe my career, in UFC.KOTC,PRIDEFC,SB,VALETUDO WORLDS. it all comes down to what u want. do you want to pursue a creer in MMA/NHB or just want to know this ****, so you can kick some ass.
    My training is very hard and strict. Theses people on the boards now there ****. I train 6 days a week, my diet is INSANE.
    plyometrics is very inportan but later on, just try to get some mass. then try some plyometrics.
    Start doing sprinting, like do 20 ,60 meter dashes with little rest.
    But like i said it all comes down to what you want,
    If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me or PM me.

Its not that I dont want to excel, I love to try my hardest in anything I do. I just dont think I'd have the skill to make it to the pro level. I know that they say anyone can make it by training hard enough but personally I think its also what your born with. You have to be a natural at it as well and I dont think I'm a natural.

About gaining mass. Whats a good weight for about 5'9? Right now I'm 143 try to get up to 153. After I gain the weight I want then I'll start doing another kind of strength training more suited for mma I guess.

I wouldn't fret too much over what kind of weight training you are doing. Adding some in maybe twice a week with your training would be great. You are 15 and have a lot of growing to do, so your overall body will possibly be much different.

NHB training is great, whether you want it to compete amateur, pro or just for kicks. If you want to go far you have to have a pretty good mentality, and that's the part you can't really train too much. You either have that killer instinct or you don't. But you are 15...train hard and the rest you can worry about when the time comes.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

go to www.sherdog.com they have tons of good info. they have a forum where u can ask a lot of experienced ppl (the real good fighters sometimes post there too).

be warned, they might scorn u since ur young, and imo, u should not do any of this for competition yet til ur 18 (u can still train tho). eg, if u lost ina wrestling match, the worst that may happen is a nosebleed, but in a nhb fite (since u said amateur, im assuming it's underground, rite?) u can get bruised and cut for not having enough experience.

im 18, and i don't think im ready, but until i can place in state for wrestling, i will consider trying to compete in this, but for now, it's amateur wrestling and submissions yet (prolly mite try some kickboxing later on).
    -really like a madman

Alexandr Karelin

lifted since march 2000

Podium he's said he doesn't compete a couple times now. Just trains. Sherdog is a great resource though. He himself doesn't fight but he's a big fan and has put a lot of work into his research and attends most events, and nows many of the big names.

Another good site is www.mixedmartialarts.com

Click on the underground forum and then pick the category you want. There are a lot of competitors that post there. Including some legends as well as current NHB fighters, several from the UCC, although none that are of UFC, or Pride caliber...but there are those there that train with them. I've posted this before but in a matter of a week I've had Carlos Newton and Gary Goodridge in my gym.

Also, the program full contact fighter is filmed/hosted from my gym. For those of you who watch TSN in canada.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Ya, I goto sherdog.com all the time for the highlight movies and I post there a bit too. I weightlift 3 times a week because it's convinent (monday, wednesday and friday) and because I can get a workout partner those days. I go swimming, with a swim club, thursday and saturday. I do nhb class on monday, wednesday and friday as well. On tuesday I do a standup class.
    I dont think this is too much for me, I get every sunday off.

I do a 3 day split when I work out. The basic leg/shoulder, back/bicep, and chest/tricep. One question I have about this is when do I do deadlifts? On leg day or back day? If I did legs monday and back friday could I do deads twice a week?

Could someone post a link for me on the proper way to do deads? My trainer gave me stiff leg deads and I'm not too keen on them.