The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Would taking a martial art be worth it?

I was thinking of doing some sort of martial art (I was looking at Jeet Kun Do, or Ju Jitsu), just to learn some basic fighting techniques, but I don't know how it would effect lifting. They're also very expensive so I'm not sure if I want to spend the money (and time). Especially because if I took them I wouldn't have as much time to work.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

1. Yes it's worth it.
    2. Yes it's worth it.
    3. Yes it's worth it.

Are you sure?

positive. do a search. its been posted on here thousands of times. in every thread people are beaming on how they love martial arts and stuff. its a great sport and is a great stress reliever.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Banned
    in most cases no. if you arn't training on a lawn somewhere or in some dank facility, you probably arn't learning anything. I spent alot of years doing "martial arts" and well...it's dumb.

TKD, karate, tang soo do, most kung fu, tai chi, all a waste of time. I can say this because i've done them. Anyplace that has snap together foam pads, and chairs for parents to watch, stray from.

BJJ, muay thai (hard to find places that actually train muay thai), Boxing, and maybe aikido are where you should look. If you can find an "mma" training facility locally, go check it out. Some are good, some are bad. The more exotic and less practiced things like krav maga and systema are usually pretty good as well for actuall self defense. But again...TKD and kosho karate are rarely going to transfer in to real life. I can't recall the last time I saw someone land a spinning hook kick on the street.

Actually there is an MMA place about 15 minutes from me, but all of the classes are around 7 at night which is when I work.

Oh well, maybe later in life.
    Last edited by Altephor; 11-28-2006 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by toki View Post
    in most cases no. if you arn't training on a lawn somewhere or in some dank facility, you probably arn't learning anything. I spent alot of years doing "martial arts" and well...it's dumb.

TKD, karate, tang soo do, most kung fu, tai chi, all a waste of time. I can say this because i've done them. Anyplace that has snap together foam pads, and chairs for parents to watch, stray from.

B

Man, how is it dumb? There is ALOT more to martial arts than just trying to beat someone up!
    Obviously you were too stubborn to grasp the concept that there is a huge mental game involved. There are so many reasons why any Martial Arts is great for anyone, and especially kids. Discipline and respect just to start with.
    Please also tell me how TKD, Karate and Kung Fu are a waste of time? While i don't dispute that their are far more superior fighting systems if you want to learn how to win a street fight, saying Martial Arts is dumb is your "dumb" opinion.

To the OP, i wouldn't recommend JKD to you unless you were interested in going deep into what Bruce Lee's original concept was, as for most other "common" MA's i say go for it! Give it a try, and see what you think. Start with once a week and see how it would fit in with your lifting. As for the price... shop around, most places are fairly reasonable.

Current PR's (updated 19th March.)

Bench: 325lbs/ 145kgs
    Dead: 395lbs/ 180kgs
    Squat: 370lbs/ 165kgs x 1 parallel.

take ju jitsu
    i take it and its fricken sweet
    kinda hard to gain weight though when also doing that because we go so long

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    I've dipped into most martial arts, BJJ is the best so far. it's like christmas every time you go because a new gift opens every session. Thai boxing would be the next one to go for on my list
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

martial arts for basic fighting techniques? Then, like Toki says, pick something realistic. I have practised judo for a total of 12 years, and I was certainly taught discipline and respect. Those, however, are worthless in a real fight. Punches, low kicks, and lots of grappling. That's what will get you through most fights.

As for other martial arts styles: they are great. But see them for what they are: stylised dances. Yes, they incorporate punches and kicks, but in real life they are about as useful as Tai Bo. Your stamina will improve, as will your balance. But unless it is full contact, it is about as realistic as figure skating.

Most schools that call themselves Jeet Kune Do do so for marketing...it is highly unlikely they will be teaching anything that Bruce Lee ever did.

Judo
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

http://www.plusonekarate.com/home.htm

This is the place near me.

"We offer specialized programs with an opportunity to train
    in Kung-Fu, Karate, Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiujitsu, Aikido, Jujutsu, Freestyle
    Kickboxing, Boxing, and Soft Style Arts."

I was thinking of maybe checking them out but I don't know when I would have time. My job goes from 4-8, which is when all their classes are. The only thing I'd be able to take is the Muy Thai boxing, at 8:30 am
    Last edited by Altephor; 11-29-2006 at 08:52 AM.

Muy Thai is an excellent style, do not hesitate to take it. If you can get in some jujitsu as well, you'll be fairly well-rounded.

Sword-Gentleman
    My opinion?

Don't go anywhere just with the intention to learn "fighting techniques".

For one thing, becoming a proficient fighter(sans MMA fighters which are totally different) is much more about refining your mind and Qi than anything else. Technique is merely expression, it's understanding that floors the guy.

That said though, if you do want to pick up martial art for self-defense/because it looks cool purposes, rock on.

For one thing, there is some truth to what 1mmort4l said. If you wish to learn legitimate self-defense or self-defense situation applicable techniques, avoid tournament heavy arts like Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, Shotokan, and Karate-do places. Judo CAN be used for some nasty-nasty stuff, but it requires tweaking. You're a beginner, so if it intrests you that much, take it later after you've been in another art for a while. Also, Jeet Kune Do is not a STYLE, it is a CONCEPT. Charlatan instructors can be recognized immeditaly, because they constantly refer to it as just another 'style' of martial art; like judo or karate. Not to shy you away from it, but just my fair word of warning if and when you go looking for a JKD place.

Be careful about Kung Fu. There are SOME good Kung-Fu teachers left out there, but you'd probably have to know a guy who knows a guy plus be very very lucky to find one. Basically, if they use the word "Wushu" to describe anything they do, it's another tournament place. As for places that teach the "Supreme Ultimate"; if you can ACTUALLY find a school that teaches real Taijiquan, let ME know about it. They're bloody hard enough to find, no reason to be selfish about it.

After all that, the place you listed doesn't look too bad. They seem rather tournament focused; but as always look around a bit before you make your decision. And ALWAYS watch a class or two before joining.

With the legalistic junk out of the way, if you have been BBing for some time, I would indeed highly suggest some form of Ju-Jutsu first for you. Size&strength do matter more for that than most arts, so you'll be able to jump right into it sincen you're already well conditioned for it. Then, maybe do some kickboxing on the side. If you want those two skills to be good for self-defense, practice sparring with a buddy and ignore the regulation/being nice points.

Brazilian Ju-Jutsu is becoming pretty popular/has become pretty popular, so it shouldn't be too hard to find a place for that.

On a side note, I would also suggest you start stretching a lot. Start right away, even if you're not going to sign up for classes somewhere right away.
    Muscle is TIGHT, after all, so it wouldn't be too bad if you started loosening yourself up now so that you won't get so beat-up learning how to contort yourself into all the funky positions.

Oh, and it's delayed, but if you truly desire to become proficient in it then martial art will open you up to a whole new world.

I hope all of that helped/was detailed enough. And truly, as far as "What art should I take?" goes, in all sincere seriousness and honesty, listen to your heart.

If you can do that/learn to do that, you will do very well training in any martial art.

-Kenshi
    Last edited by Kenshi; 11-29-2006 at 09:20 AM.
    "The Way of the warrior is Resolute acceptance of Death."
    -Miyamoto Musashi

"Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the Earth."
    -Jesus Christ

"You will do well. I have faith in you."
    -Bruce Lee.

What part of Illinois are you in, Kenshi?

Waiting for weight! Powdered_Power's Avatar
    Boxed for 3 years, and I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone looking for a method of self defense that actually works on the street and is also very enjoyable to take part in.
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=87300
    21 yrs
    155 lbs 01/2/07 - 167 lbs 16/3/07 -169 lbs 20/4/07
    5'10 ft

Bench: 120lbs
    DL: 160lbs
    Squat: 120lbs ON HOLD
    Total = 400lbs

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1mmort4l View Post
    Man, how is it dumb? There is ALOT more to martial arts than just trying to beat someone up!
    Obviously you were too stubborn to grasp the concept that there is a huge mental game involved. There are so many reasons why any Martial Arts is great for anyone, and especially kids. Discipline and respect just to start with.
    Please also tell me how TKD, Karate and Kung Fu are a waste of time? While i don't dispute that their are far more superior fighting systems if you want to learn how to win a street fight, saying Martial Arts is dumb is your "dumb" opinion.
    I'm aware, but I don't think OP wants to learn discipline or self control, he wants to learn how to protect himself. The point is, martial arts in this country are all but 100% pussy now just like everything else. The mental side is indeed a very real part of fighting, but its way over stressed in 'martial arts.' The only usefull martial art I ever took was a style of kung fu, but it wasn't the style or art that made it valuable, it's how it was taught me. While
    the instructure very actively taught the mental side of it, he made no mistake about telling everyone that he would be teaching them techniques that can kill or maim, and they needed to practice them as such. And frankly, I wouldn't have it any other way. When it comes down to it and you have some angry drunk swinging at your head you don't have time to dance around and make a chi ball to allign his chakras, you have to punch him in the throat without thinking twice.

Wannabebig Member
    Try boxing. Its simple and direct. Most gyms are designed to develop fighters as there is no point sparring in boxing. It's also great for hardening up your body and mind as the training should be quite intense.

Muay Thai is like boxing, but far more versatile.

I may call them up and see how much the Muay Thai classes are. Although, I would only be able to take it during winter and summer break, so I don't know how effective that would be.

Pick something you can stick with. If it's boxing then that's what's going to be best for you right now regardless if Muay Thai is a better choice in terms of fighting or self defense.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Wannabebig Member
    Boxing is half of any martial art.
    6'2"
    190lbs

Wannabebig New Member
    Bjj and boxing are awesome .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

I like the spiritual side of some arts like aikido but if practical self-defense is what you're going for I'd pick one from each:

Striking - Muay Thai or boxing

Grappling - Jujitsu, Judo or Sambo

That's all you really need.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal