Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspended driving license

Suspended driving license

I played with fire and got burnt.

I got a speeding ticket a few months ago and I didn't pay the fine. Why? I don't know. I just kept putting it off.
    I got a notice in the mail that my license had been suspended as a result. Okay, I payed the fine but then I was supposed to go down to the BMV with the proof that I payed the fine and have it renewed.
    It happened to be a day that the BMV was closed so I didn't do it. Then, I put that off for a week.

Yesterday I got pulled over and got a ticket for "driving while suspended". That's going to put eight points on my license. That combined with the points from the two speeding tickets...OMG!

I assume I'll have to go to court for it and I am afraid they will suspend it for up to a year.

I'm have totally screwed myself. My ability to drive is the lifeblood of my family. My wife is handicapped and can't drive.
    For the first time in a very long time I reallyscared. I don't know what to do.

Iron4Life
    HB.. you have to be honest with the judge..
    tell him everything.. even how "stupid" you have been..
    But most importantly, tell him how you have to drive b/c of your wife's situation and taking care of the kids, etc..
    Unless, this is a repeat offense.. most judges will help you out the first time..
    It's the 2nd and 3rd times they get pissed...

Good luck dude.. and a little sobbing from a big man won't hurt either..

even with a suspended license you can get a provisional license which will allow you to drive to and from work. you can get even more privelages with a disabled wife.

talk to the judge and explain, and I'm sure you will be OK, just less the leisure of driving wherever and whenever.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Just be completely honest. Judges are still people, and are great at telling when someone is giving them BS. Be honest and admit that you made mistakes. It should work out fine.

Thanks man, I needed some positive thoughts. I'm feeling pretty down and out tonight.

It is my first offense. I've had some speeding tickets in the past but this is a first for anything more significant.

The problem is the BMV is closed tomorrow so I have to drive to work tomorrow and Tuesday and then to the BMV Tuesday afternoon. I am ultra paranoid.

bomber, I feel for you. This was a good wake-up call, and if you just talk to the judge, I know they'll see you have good intentions. You'll be okay.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

Banned
    Plead your case. Say "yes sir" and "no sir". Be polite, but don't act like you're trying to charm him. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyBomber View Post
    I got a speeding ticket a few months ago and I didn't pay the fine. Why? I don't know. I just kept putting it off.

Next time - show up and plead "Not Guilty".

Yesterday I got pulled over and got a ticket for "driving while suspended". That's going to put eight points on my license. That combined with the points from the two speeding tickets...OMG!

I assume I'll have to go to court for it
    Show up, and plead not guilty. Decide whether the plea bargain they offer you is acceptable. If it is not, show up to the actual court date and tell the judge your story.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    Plead your case. Say "yes sir" and "no sir".
    I almost had my ass tossed in jail for this. Say "Yes, Your Honor", etc.

I dissagree with others here. Get the best lawyer in your town, he will get it fixed to where you probably want have to even go to court. It will be costly, but worth it especially in your situation.
    This is asuming that the judicial system is junk, like it is in the south, where money rules

Quote Originally Posted by shootermcgavin7 View Post
    I almost had my ass tossed in jail for this. Say "Yes, Your Honor", etc.
    Shooter, do you mean that you almost got thrown in jail for calling a judge "sir" as opposed to "Your Honor?" Mind elaborating? I'm confused...
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Tell him to go to hell and you were just driving down the road to get some pot. No, really, worst case scenario is it will be suspended but you'll be able to drive to work and do things like get groceries etc because she's disabled.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
    Shooter, do you mean that you almost got thrown in jail for calling a judge "sir" as opposed to "Your Honor?" Mind elaborating? I'm confused...
    In the US, you're supposed to refer to the judge as "Your Honor" or "Judge"; or theoretically they can hold you in contempt of court.

I accidentally called him "Sir" once, and he pointed that out, then I accidentally said it again later and he got pissed off. Obviously this is different than in the UK, where "Sir" is actually a title.

The guy was a real dick; that's the only time I've heard of that anyone has ever been uptight about it.......but it is best to maximize one's chances.

Tell him the truth, explain your situation and if needed hire an attorney. If you hire an attorney, though, you will not need to explain your situation.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    Plead your case. Say "yes sir" and "no sir". Be polite, but don't act like you're trying to charm him. Good luck.
    And wear a shirt and tie. Don't go in there with biker colors...
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

next-tyson-but-white arnoldsclone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyBomber View Post
    I played with fire and got burnt.

I got a notice in the mail that my license had been suspended as a result. Okay, I payed the fine but then I was supposed to go down to the BMV with the proof that I payed the fine and have it renewed.
    It happened to be a day that the BMV was closed so I didn't do it. Then, I put that off for a week.

I assume I'll have to go to court for it and I am afraid they will suspend it for up to a year.

I'm have totally screwed myself. My ability to drive is the lifeblood of my family. My wife is handicapped and can't drive.
    For the first time in a very long time I reallyscared. I don't know what to do.
    you'll be fine killa. i have driven suspended for 2 years at a time. i just can't justify giving the courts my hard earned money for no good reason. what do i get in return other than a reduction in my quality of life because the ****s make us broke.

Ahnold says, " milk is for babies!"
    "deadlift if you know"- myself
    Boxing/ working out 5 days a week!
    6'1"- 230lbs-and bulking till i can't stand the mirror
    Former fatass- whent from 302lbs to 207 lbs rippling 05-06
    bench 315
    deadlift 455
    squat 405
    big 3 total = 1175 lbs of RAW IRON!!!MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Good luck big man. Hope things turn out all right at court.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

yeah, let us know how it turns out.
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    Journal - Pics - ...9

HB if no one has already said this i will. hire an attorney
    to sculpt you must first have concrete
    You are only as stong as your weakest joint

Footballer
    Quote Originally Posted by arnoldsclone View Post
    you'll be fine killa. i have driven suspended for 2 years at a time. i just can't justify giving the courts my hard earned money for no good reason. what do i get in return other than a reduction in my quality of life because the ****s make us broke.
    This is the dumbest piece of advice ever posted in a forum.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

Look on the bright side. At least you didn't accidentally shave your left eyebrow nearly in half like I did tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by SLOTH View Post
    Look on the bright side. At least you didn't accidentally shave your left eyebrow nearly in half like I did tonight.
    Now you'll really look like Sloth.
    Goals:
    Journal - Pics - ...9

Quote Originally Posted by BigRic View Post
    This is the dumbest piece of advice ever posted in a forum.
    Look at the author.. are you suprised?

Get big.
    Yes... as other people have said, hire an attorney and dress nicely. Nice slacks, tucked in shirt, and a tie - look professional. Always be polite to the judge and show up to court early. You'll be fine

Quote Originally Posted by SLOTH View Post
    LOL

Hey thanks everybody. I at least got my license reinstated the other day. I'm waiting for the court papers inthe mail. I am going to hire an attorney and see if I can't get it dropped because I had already paid the ticket but just didn't complete the administrative process... or whatever the lawyer advises.