The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Wrist Wraps

Wannabebig New Member

Wrist Wraps

was doing dead lifts today and have one hand that feels as if it asleep.
    It has been 6 hours and it still feels asleep.

1. Wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

2. Wondering when or if this will stop?

3. I will take any advice or thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

For Bros
    That sounds serious. If it were me I'd see a doctor.

Is it the whole hand or certain fingers? Like bottom three, middle two?
    pain is inevitable suffering is optional

www.ryanopower.com

http://www.prowriststraps.com

Wannabebig New Member
    It is the top of the hand between the index finger and the thumb

Pinched nerve? I would see a doctor if it doesn't start getting better.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

Wannabebig Member
    Were you removing your wrist wraps between each set? If you cut the circulation off for long enough you can cause some damage. How long do you keep the wrist wraps on?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Pinched nerve? I would see a doctor if it doesn't start getting better.

Thats what I would say. I have had this in the past. I had my last three fingers numb for a long time. I had an impinment(sp) in my upper neck. This was causing the numbness and my left lower trap felt like it was in a ball all the time. I lived this way for a few years . Go see a DR. or a chiro.
    pain is inevitable suffering is optional

www.ryanopower.com

http://www.prowriststraps.com

Why were you using wrist wraps on deadlift? Just wondering, because I've seen other people do it but I fail to understand the purpose or potential advantage of it, other than potential pain and lost feeling.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    What does asleep mean? Numb or pins and needles?

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Why were you using wrist wraps on deadlift? Just wondering, because I've seen other people do it but I fail to understand the purpose or potential advantage of it, other than potential pain and lost feeling.
    I have to use them for heavy rows and deadlifts because the bones in my wrist shift around and pop. It's not a big deal, but annoying when it happens.

I wouldn't think it would be worth the numbness if otherwise you wouldn't feel pain. I'd take annoyance over pain or numbness any day!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I just assumed that the OP meant wrist straps, not wraps...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I loosen my straps between sets and after a heavy enough last set I practically tear them off and chuck them. I've gone numb before but it always passes within seconds of putting the bar down. If it's been six hours I'd be concerned...
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Gamer/Lifter
    I agree 6 hours seems serious...

Sure i've had it to where I can't feel my hand for a minute at maxium but feeling comes back quickly.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

I wouldn't think it would be worth the numbness if otherwise you wouldn't feel pain. I'd take annoyance over pain or numbness any day!
    I don't put them on that tight, and pull them off between sets...so I don't get any of the numbness.

You can get a better grip when using wrist wraps (not straps) IMO.

Sound like you need some chalk. Chalk sovles all.

I don't understand how but some people think that wrist wraps (not straps!) help with grip strength.

Something similar to what the OP described is frequently noted by people who have been arrested and had handcuffs put on really tight. If I remember correctly it's just a pinched nerve in your wrist kind of along the side where your thumb is.

I'd give it a day or two to see if it goes away/gets better. If it doesn't I'd see a doc. Although it could be very different than what I'm thinking of. You may want to see a doc soon just to check it out.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

I use them sometimes because on occasion heavy deadlifts will kill my grip after a few sets.
    I don't use them unless I have to, but they do help me get a couple extra reps which outweighs the consequences in my opinion. I'd rather use them and continue lifting heavy then lowering the weight so I can do more reps.

It's only my left hand that dies though, so I really only use one. I usually use them after I finish deads too because my grip doesn't really recover.
    Last edited by Chris686; 12-27-2006 at 07:21 PM.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

You cant say wirst straps wont help.

When I DL 440 I nearly dropped the damn bar, but my my back and body easily took the weight.

Now, I know I should work on my grip, but whats the point in not allowing the target muscles to really be worked. Im all for using straps and hooks to make it easier to move bigger weights, so that the target muscles really get hit, and you dont have to stop because of wrist fatuige.

Im confident Id easily be able to pull 500+ with the straps, but I simply cant hold it.

ill be investing in the 1-ton hooks, or just some good old figure 8 loops.

As for wrpas... like the knee wraps... I dont need them Im young and have plenty of cartlidge left to gradually wear away.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris686 View Post
    I use them sometimes because on occasion heavy deadlifts will kill my grip after a few sets.
    I don't use them unless I have to, but they do help me get a couple extra reps which outweighs the consequences in my opinion. I'd rather use them and continue lifting heavy then lowering the weight so I can do more reps.

It's only my left hand that dies though, so I really only use one. I usually use them after I finish deads too because my grip doesn't really recover.
    wrist wraps and wrist straps are different!!!!!!!
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    I don't understand how but some people think that wrist wraps (not straps!) help with grip strength
    They always helped my grip and almost all of the lifters at meets that I lifted at used them when deadlifting also................YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Elbutcho View Post
    They always helped my grip and almost all of the lifters at meets that I lifted at used them when deadlifting also................YMMV.
    I wasn't debating that they helped.. I just don't understand HOW they help...

What's YMMV?
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    I wasn't debating that they helped.. I just don't understand HOW they help...

What's YMMV?
    I don't know how it works it just helps me grip the bar better........or maybe I did it because everyone else was doing it................:alcoholic

YMMV = Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Elbutcho; 12-28-2006 at 02:28 PM.