Thread: The Hobbit: Will this movie suck?

The Hobbit: Will this movie suck?

From what I understand, they are talking about Peter Jackson not directing this long anticipated prequel to the Lord of the Rings saga. How bad would that suck? I guess I could see this movie really sucking without Jackson at the helm. Why do I care? I grew up on this book, even more so than the lord of the rings. It would hurt me deeply to have this movie blow. I've heard that it will be 2 movies, which is a great idea and it makes the director all the more important.

..so don't see it ?? :-/

This weekend, Peter Jackson wrote a letter to the fans via the Tolkien site, TheOneRing.net, which has since nearly the beginning tracked everything about the Tolkien movies. In the letter, Jackson details how negotiations with New Line Cinema broke down over his participation in this movie (and a possible "prequel" to LOTR that would be set between the two) because a long-running legal suit between Jackson and New Line over 'Fellowship' remains unresolved. Not only is Peter Jackson apparently out (with WETA possibly also no longer involved), but New Line Cinema claims to already be talking to other possible directors for the two movies
    http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/preview/1808551129

He did such a great job in LOTR, I'd hate to see a different director come in and totally pooch The Hobbit. I also grew up reading this, watching the cool cartoon movie and even some very, very, wierd movie that was done in the late 70's I believe.
    37 y/o, 6'1
    Current Weight: 265 Current BF: 21%+

Online Journal

"Its simple; if it jiggles, its fat" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Quote Originally Posted by markdk86 View Post
    ..so don't see it ?? :-/
    If it sucks, I won't. But I think I clearly state in my post that I'm just wondering if people think it will suck if Peter Jackson isn't involved.

No offense to either of you two, but yeah, I agree with markdk.

Everyone said the same thing about the Star Wars prequels- bastardize my childhood... disgrace to the original... sellout... blight on the series...

I call bull poop.

If you think it will "ruin" things for you, don't see it.

IMO, though, a bad movie doesn't cheapen a book- it illustrates the genius of the book that even a high budget Hollywood movie cannot reproduce the vibe.

Consider it emphasis on the greatness of the book, not a degradation.
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

Quote Originally Posted by SLOTH View Post
    If it sucks, I won't. But I think I clearly state in my post that I'm just wondering if people think it will suck if Peter Jackson isn't involved.
    Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Organichu View Post
    Everyone said the same thing about the Star Wars prequels- bastardize my childhood... disgrace to the original... sellout... blight on the series...

I could have done w/o JarJar or at least have made him "primitive", not a ghetto muppet from hell.
    Last edited by OneBadUnit; 12-01-2006 at 07:34 AM.
    37 y/o, 6'1
    Current Weight: 265 Current BF: 21%+

Online Journal

"Its simple; if it jiggles, its fat" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Quote Originally Posted by OneBadUnit View Post
    I could have done w/o JarJar or at least have made him "primitive", not a ghetto muppet from hell.
    Agreed, he was a bit jarring on the nerves I thought something was lost in the transition to wholesale CGI for the side characters. I like the furry wookie costumes of yesteryear
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

I think any number of directors could handle the Hobbit now that they've seen LoTR. Whether it sucks or not will largely be based on script adaptation (the Hobbit was ALL OVER the place, from a story and writing point of view.. making something coherrant out of it will be a challenge).
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

And JarJar was a moron... an idiot. He'd been exiled for a reason. The rest of the Gungans were pretty cool, cheesy accents and all. It's too bad their race got represented via first impression by Forrest Gump.
    Last edited by ShockBoxer; 12-01-2006 at 07:39 AM.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Jar Jar was an idiot for sure. And then we see him in the 2nd movie leading these huge starships into battle? Isn't this the same moronic muppet who was getting his tongue stuck in the engine of Anakin's podracer? Simply rediculous and an insult to star wars geeks across the galaxy. I thought Qui Gon should have sliced that alien scumsucker in half as soon as he saw him. It is an interesting point about these movies as compared to the books. I guess I see some satisfaction out of reading a great book and having it visualized in a great film.