The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 212 of 252 FirstFirst ... 112162202210211212213214222 ... LastLast
Results 5,276 to 5,300 of 6286
    I did legs tonight. Leg extensions, curls, db step-ups, and calf raises. Had to avoid the lower back. I'm getting deep-tissue massages now, so hopefully it'll get better soon. I clipped this morning and the ab pinch seems to have dropped, but we'll see the official verdict tomorrow.

My refeed so far tonight has been intense. I had 4 arby's roast beef sammiches and some fries. I had severe heartburn after that ****.

Quads at 18mm, while chest is at 5mm and ab is at 10mm?

squat something!

sick man, our quads are the same, but my pec is 11 and my stomach is 30mm, HAHA!!
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by galileo View Post
    You're 5'10" or 5'11" right?
    Somewhere in there. Closer to 5'11''. I'm still fat. I've not been losing weight. I have been eating pretty well (not today so much) and I've considerably cut down on the drinking, but I'm still eating too much and not doing enough cardio apparently. I may break down and do the UD2, since I only have 4 weeks before the Arnold at this point and I seriously don't want to embarrass myself--though it's looking more and more like that will be the outcome.

Meh.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 01-24-2007 at 09:05 PM.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

I'm switching over to Gal's diet starting tomorrow. Life will be teh suck!

Damn that's some good progress.

Quote Originally Posted by heathj View Post
    Quads at 18mm, while chest is at 5mm and ab is at 10mm?

squat something!
    My legs aren't tiny, they just hold fat. I'm sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    sick man, our quads are the same, but my pec is 11 and my stomach is 30mm, HAHA!!
    Again, see above.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood&Iron View Post
    Somewhere in there. Closer to 5'11''. I'm still fat. I've not been losing weight. I have been eating pretty well (not today so much) and I've considerably cut down on the drinking, but I'm still eating too much and not doing enough cardio apparently. I may break down and do the UD2, since I only have 4 weeks before the Arnold at this point and I seriously don't want to embarrass myself--though it's looking more and more like that will be the outcome.

Meh.
    You'll be fine, pussy. You still have great fat placement and a far more solid base than a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkeez View Post
    I'm switching over to Gal's diet starting tomorrow. Life will be teh suck!
    You will win.

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    Damn that's some good progress.
    Thanks man.

Well, I did it. Today I hit my start weight of 180.5 lbs on my scale. My pinches didn't measure much different, so I believe I'm 9.65% by 3-site. That's a +/- of 17.85 lbs. I lost 10% of my bodyfat in precisely 8 weeks.

Now...

I'm going to stick to this diet perhaps another 4-8 weeks, assuming all goes well. I highly doubt my recomposition will carry on from this point. For now, all weight lost should be fat and perhaps a small amount of LBM. My goal is to hit 5% by 3-site, which should mean full abs for me. I hope that I don't fall below 170 lbs to get there. By calculation, hitting 5 would mean roughly 171.5 lbs or about 9lbs lost. At my current rate ~2lbs/week (which won't last forever), I could hit it in 4 weeks. I'll probably slow down, so 8 is more realistic.

Considerations...

1. I may need to add steady-state cardio on low-carb days. Bleh.
    2. I may need to dial-in my refeeds to emphasize more clean carbs and maintenance calories (or slightly higher).
    3. I may need to be more cautious with my supplements. Some days I miss my multi-vitamins, some days I don't get all of my fish oil.
    4. I may need to find more ephedrine. I don't really want to pay $1 a pill and thanks to idiot r'tard meth-heads, it seems I may have to do so. I have enough for 9 more days, I believe. I do have access to some clen, but I'm worried about it interfering with my refeed cycle. I'll have to dig into that a little more.

Nice work son!

Learning as I progress
    Gl with reachin the goals.

It seems like you have taken all the important stuff into consideration, and it just looks like you gotta stick with it.
    Complication breeds desperation.

I think you're lying to us all. I bet you're soft and smushy like a baby.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Hit a lunch time lift... again we were pressed for time and I know this will piss people off but every machine was taken. So... we did chest and tri again:

Decline Barbell Bench:
    135x8
    185x8
    225x8
    265x3+2 (all time PR for decline barbell)
    135x8

Dips:
    bwx8
    +35x8
    +35x8
    +35x6 + bwx2
    +35x5 + bwx3

Seated cable press:
    70x8
    80x8
    90x8
    100x8

done! Felt pumped but thought I might pass out.

nice decline bench! congrats on the pr aswell!
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Nice work son!
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Con View Post
    Gl with reachin the goals.

It seems like you have taken all the important stuff into consideration, and it just looks like you gotta stick with it.
    Thanks Con. I try to be as realistic and scientific as possible with my cuts, because if you waste time and energy and end up losing too much muscle, it causes you to just waste more time in the bulk phase catching back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    I think you're lying to us all. I bet you're soft and smushy like a baby.
    The only thing soft on me is my poor, lifeless cock. Damn you PSMF...damn you!

Hit a lunch time lift... again we were pressed for time and I know this will piss people off but every machine was taken. So... we did chest and tri again:

Decline Barbell Bench:
    135x8
    185x8
    225x8
    265x3+2 (all time PR for decline barbell)
    135x8

Dips:
    bwx8
    +35x8
    +35x8
    +35x6 + bwx2
    +35x5 + bwx3

Seated cable press:
    70x8
    80x8
    90x8
    100x8

done! Felt pumped but thought I might pass out.
    You're a regular frat boy now, aren'tcha?

Quote Originally Posted by detard View Post
    nice decline bench! congrats on the pr aswell!
    Thanks!!

Learning as I progress
    Hey Gal, I forgot to ask this earlier: What time do you start and end your refeeds?

I start mine at about 6:30(right after working out, and have three meals afterward, right up until bed. do you see any downside to this?

Yeah, I had the same question. I'm used to the "cram as much **** down your throat as possible for 3 hours after working out," so that brings me tons of calories from about 6-9pm, and then I'm up for another 5 hours, which adds in 3 more meals. I'm worried this might be too much. What do you think?

Congrats on hitting your starting weight with 10% less fat. I still am in complete shock. That's really great progress for a year worth of work.

ur progress is awesome man, have u gotten that lower back pain sorted out yet?

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

Quote Originally Posted by Con View Post
    Hey Gal, I forgot to ask this earlier: What time do you start and end your refeeds?

I start mine at about 6:30(right after working out, and have three meals afterward, right up until bed. do you see any downside to this?
    It depends on how I feel. Sometimes my body mandates an early afternoon session (2:00), sometimes I hold off a little longer. Generally speaking, I feel my earlier sessions have been better. I have a combined 90g of dextrose across the 1.5 hour span and end up falling asleep right after work for a few hours (I can't really help it, when my insulin falls I get tired). Then I wake up and go get enough food to complete the task.

Quote Originally Posted by KingJustin View Post
    Yeah, I had the same question. I'm used to the "cram as much **** down your throat as possible for 3 hours after working out," so that brings me tons of calories from about 6-9pm, and then I'm up for another 5 hours, which adds in 3 more meals. I'm worried this might be too much. What do you think?

Congrats on hitting your starting weight with 10% less fat. I still am in complete shock. That's really great progress for a year worth of work.
    I personally like to workout earlier and be more cautious with what I cram down my throat.

Thanks man. But it wasn't a year's worth of work, it was 8 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohizzle View Post
    ur progress is awesome man, have u gotten that lower back pain sorted out yet?

Andrew
    Not quite sorted fully, but I have no spine compression now so it'll be easier to heal up. I got a deep-tissue massage on Tuesday and I have another scheduled for the coming Tuesday. Ice has been doing me more harm than good, because I get stiffened up and then end up tweaking it in my sleep. When I get to my next leg day, I plan on deadlifting and sticking with very light weight. Then I'll move up as I see fit, but very slowly. I need to strengthen it, which is going to make my leg workouts suck.

What do you do for cardio?

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    What do you do for cardio?
    I lay bones in bitches with fat asses.

There are so many names I could mention right now, but I'm too weak to take a comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    There are so many names I could mention right now, but I'm too weak to take a comeback.
    It's cool.

If I'm doing steady-state cardio, it's either a treadmill on an incline at below 4mph (6.4kph for you metric-loving hippies) or brisk walking on the track. If it's HIIT, either a cycle or sprinting. Right now, nothing.

Try mall walking baby!

Learning as I progress
    It depends on how I feel. Sometimes my body mandates an early afternoon session (2:00), sometimes I hold off a little longer. Generally speaking, I feel my earlier sessions have been better. I have a combined 90g of dextrose across the 1.5 hour span and end up falling asleep right after work for a few hours (I can't really help it, when my insulin falls I get tired). Then I wake up and go get enough food to complete the task.

I personally like to workout earlier and be more cautious with what I cram down my throat.
    So you dont really concern yourself with how long refeeds are as long as they are just for that night?

And do you have any idea why earlier sessions are better? I might give it a try, cuz people at night in the gym are so annoying.

btw didnt know about the back. Hope it gets better, but hell it hasnt been hindering your progress thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I acted like a fat girl and ate my feelings all day today. I'm having a "whatever the **** i want" cheat day, leading back in to 7 days of serious cutting and workouts. Gonna eat nothing and do tons of cardio.. you know, the healthy way to lose weight! Whoooo-hooooo!

Lifts (Just the significant ones):
    Flat DB Bench: 100x5
    Military Press Machine: 185x8
    Lateral Raise (just for teh Pup): 30x8
    BW Dips: 4 sets of 8 (Almost ready to add weights to these)

Keep in mind I have been eating about 2k or less calls a day lately and minimal carbs.
    I'm quoting that. That's one of the funniest damn things I have ever read in a thread.

Workout

Bench Press : 45x8, 95x5, 135x5, 155x3, 175x3, 185x3, 3, 5
    I asked for a spotter the last set. I can't find my stupid wrist wraps so I wasn't fully confident that I'd get enough and rerack. He was a horrible spotter; he didn't help me unrack and he may have touched the bar a time or two during my set.

Incline DB Flyes [30s rest]: 30x12, 12, 12
    Easy, but I was spent.

DB Row: 90x5:5, 80x8:8
    I couldn't remember if I did 80s or 85s last time. I guessed wrong, apparently. I could've got 85x8 for reps, but it still wasn't bad.

I think the volume is approaching "too low," so I may choose to refine my program a little bit and add at least a small amount of additional volume. We'll see. My strength is still increasing, at least.
    Volume looks a little low, but what kind of diet are you on? Very low carb? I've stopped in here a few times and you have a really detailed journal. What are your goals primarily?
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190