The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 244 of 252 FirstFirst ... 144194234242243244245246 ... LastLast
Results 6,076 to 6,100 of 6286
    Did 30 minutes of SS cardio. My heart wasn't in it; ran out of ephedrine today and couldn't take yohimbine @ 6pm when I went to the gym. Meh.

Besides giving you a woman beating phallus, what is the intended use of the yohimbine?

Jesus christ man, why do you do this to yourself?

1000kcal in a day? What the ****?
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    Besides giving you a woman beating phallus, what is the intended use of the yohimbine?
    There's a book Lyle McDonald wrote on Yohimbine that's pretty good. Aside from the priapism, it helps mobilize stubborn fat. I don't feel that it's completely important at this point, but anecdotally, it has been good to use pre-cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    Jesus christ man, why do you do this to yourself?

1000kcal in a day? What the ****?
    It's just UD2. Not as bad as it sounds, honestly. Over tonight and tomorrow I'll be eating about 5000 calories of carby goodness.

On that note, I'm down to 174 and my pinches are a true pec: 4.5, quad: 10mm, ab: 8.5-9mm. That puts me at a 3-site of around 6.85%. I'm not sure what happens when all of my pinches stop lowering for about a month, but it seems that it happens and I'm still getting leaner. The big one that dropped is my suprailiac went to 8.5mm as well. That's fantastic. Leanocity.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by galileo View Post
    There's a book Lyle McDonald wrote on Yohimbine that's pretty good. Aside from the priapism, it helps mobilize stubborn fat. I don't feel that it's completely important at this point, but anecdotally, it has been good to use pre-cardio.

It's just UD2. Not as bad as it sounds, honestly. Over tonight and tomorrow I'll be eating about 5000 calories of carby goodness.

On that note, I'm down to 174 and my pinches are a true pec: 4.5, quad: 10mm, ab: 8.5-9mm. That puts me at a 3-site of around 6.85%. I'm not sure what happens when all of my pinches stop lowering for about a month, but it seems that it happens and I'm still getting leaner. The big one that dropped is my suprailiac went to 8.5mm as well. That's fantastic. Leanocity.
    Skinny!

Nice work Gal . I think you said before you need to add 2% to get the actual % so that get you under 9% which is really impressive dude!

Quote Originally Posted by RvNijnatten View Post
    Skinny!

Nice work Gal . I think you said before you need to add 2% to get the actual % so that get you under 9% which is really impressive dude!
    I'm doing my thang.

About 3-4% most typically. I look pretty much 10% solid at this point.

Any reason you like to be lean beef? I.e. any thoughts of competing one day, or just your thang?
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Any reason you like to be lean beef? I.e. any thoughts of competing one day, or just your thang?
    In this particular case, my assistant asked me how I knew so much about nutrition since I didn't work out. Then my boss informed me that I had gotten fat. So, aside from being extremely offended, I'm trying to get as lean as possible so when I put on a little more muscle later, I will not have to spend as much time getting back to leanness.

I was up around nearly 200lbs, not in good shape. Now I'm in the 173.5 area doing pretty well. I definitely recovered a lot of muscle in the mean time, so I look like a new person.

Also, my friend has a wedding up on the lake over labor day, so if I have the opportunity to rock full-on abs there, I'm going to take it.

.07.10.2010. Day 20 of 56 : "Power" workout
    I felt pretty decent today. My strength wasn't anything spectacular, but I feel like I got a very solid workout overall. I looked full but not bloated, which was a nice change of pace.

incline db press: 45x8, 60x3, 70x5, 5, 75x5
    After the first set of the 70s, I felt my left shoulder tweak a bit. I was afraid I was going to pull it, so I went over to the bands and stretched it a little. I went back and cautiously tried a second set with the 70s and it felt fine. Light even. Bumped to 75s and I was good to go. Next time I will be able to get 3x5 with them I'm sure, then hopefully make my way to the 80s before long.

bb row: 115x5, 145x3, 160x3, 175x5, 5, 5
    Not sure how I can do 100s on db row, but the bb row is just awkward and uncomfortable.

weighted dips: +25x5, +70x5, 5, 5
    I feel like on this exercise I can truly fight to get every last rep. Some exercises you just can't fight without losing form, but on dips there's not many ways to get it wrong. 70 (plus about 5lbs for the belt) is the best I've done in a long time. It amounts to roughly 250lbs all told.

deadlifts: warms...275x1
    First time in a long time, was pretty happy with 275. It wasn't the best I could muster, but I want to feel out my back before I go further.

seated calf raise: 160x5, 5, 5
    Long pauses, nothing special.

lat pulldowns: 13p x5, 5, 5
    The 13 plates on the pulldown machine reads "156" written in some silver marker. This 156 must be kilograms, because the bar lifts me off of the seat with every rep. I have to fight my way to stay in the knee-harness. Felt good though. To contract, the 150 on the other tower in the gym I can pulldown with one arm. These things are stupid.

Also, my friend has a wedding up on the lake over labor day, so if I have the opportunity to rock full-on abs there, I'm going to take it.
    ****in' A. I try not to be a vain bastard but when an opportunity comes to show off my accumulated hours in the gym, I do enjoy it. (this is through strength, abz are definitely not visible).
    My Journal

LuNa
    Good looking session Gal, especially since you are on UD. You will definitely be showing off some fine abs when that weddings comes round.

174 is a long way from 200. Really glad to come back in here and see you meeting some goals, man.
    How low are you going, or is it a certain pinch you're looking for? BTW, glad to be back and posting in your journal! Now it will likely smell of me. I said that.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

****in' A. I try not to be a vain bastard but when an opportunity comes to show off my accumulated hours in the gym, I do enjoy it. (this is through strength, abz are definitely not visible).
    I'm not, really. It's just not often that I have a stretch of time where I can focus long enough to get lean.

Good looking session Gal, especially since you are on UD. You will definitely be showing off some fine abs when that weddings comes round.
    I hope so. Every weekend after my refeed, I get the feeling like I'm not making enough progress. It's almost entirely due to the refeed, but it takes everything I have to convince myself to stay the course. My brain is constantly betraying me.

Quote Originally Posted by SW View Post
    174 is a long way from 200. Really glad to come back in here and see you meeting some goals, man.
    How low are you going, or is it a certain pinch you're looking for? BTW, glad to be back and posting in your journal! Now it will likely smell of me. I said that.
    Nick! Long time no see. I'm definitely a good bit down, that's for sure. I have hit all of my minor goals thus far, I just need to keep pressing on toward my bigger ones. Definitely glad to have you back in here.

Thanks for the concern. Dicks.

I UD2'd the week before last. Got sick on Friday and it lasted until Wednesday. Took the rest of the week off and started back fresh today. Morning low about 172, high about 175. I should be back on target no problems this week and will resume my progress.

More when there's time.

I wannabebig!
    Omg are you ok!!!!????

Quote Originally Posted by ryuage View Post
    Omg are you ok!!!!????
    Yes, thanks for asking.

LuNa
    Thanks for the concern. Dicks.

I UD2'd the week before last. Got sick on Friday and it lasted until Wednesday. Took the rest of the week off and started back fresh today. Morning low about 172, high about 175. I should be back on target no problems this week and will resume my progress.

More when there's time.
    Shame to here. Maybe this is your body telling you you should start bulking . Good luck getting back into things.

Have a glass of cement.
    My Journal

Shame to here. Maybe this is your body telling you you should start bulking . Good luck getting back into things.
    Yeah, that's not going to happen anytime soon. Maybe by November.

Have a glass of cement.
    Eat my dead cock.

.07.29.2010. - Day what? I will count later.
    I can't believe it's been so long. Well, I'm refeeding right now and it's enjoyable. I managed to forget my cream cheese at home, so now I'll be either eating dry bagels or running to Wal*Mart to get some. Always a challenge.

I've been quite tied up here at work lately, so it's been more difficult to update than I would've thought. But, in the interest of making it easier for me to remember what to do next time, I'll try to keep it up.

Final Depletion
    cybex* leg press: 200x12, 12
    calf raise: 200x12, 12
    leg curl: 10.5px12, 12 (+)
    leg extension: 10.5px12, 12
    neutral row: 10.5px12, 12
    chest press: 11p12, 12
    lat pulldown: 11x12, 10 (-)
    chest fly: 120x12, 12
    cable curls: 85x12
    rope pulldown: 120x12

As I compare these numbers to the past, I'm definitely getting stronger in these exercises. That's pretty good.

I'm getting leaner, but now that I'm in a lower bodyfat range than typical, my overall calorie reduction and pace have declined a bit. I went back to UD2 this week because of the ease of implementation, but I'm considering trying a true intermittent fast (a la Martin Berkhan) for a few weeks to see how that works out.

Work time.

I totally did stuff. Nothing good, but stuff.

incline db press with 80s.
    deadlift up to 275, where I failed.
    db rows with 95s
    seated calf raises with 180
    db shrugs with 100s
    cybex leg presses with 270
    lat pulldown with 13p.

I am pretty tired now, but I'm glad I made it through the full body deal. I need to spend an hour or two tomorrow and put together a new routine. Specifically one that isn't full body. I am considering employing the help of Martin Berkhan, but we'll see.

I am pretty tired now, but I'm glad I made it through the full body deal. I need to spend an hour or two tomorrow and put together a new routine. Specifically one that isn't full body. I am considering employing the help of Martin Berkhan, but we'll see.
    I am also considering trying IF in the upcoming weeks.
    My Journal

LuNa
    I would love to see you try IF as im thinking about using it for next year. I also think that you would do better on a non full body split, so get that program sorted out.

80lb inclines are not bad "stuff"...not bad at all. And considering you're leaning out thats pretty damn impressive. I wish I could do some inclines with taht weight at this point. Looking on point bud.

I am also considering trying IF in the upcoming weeks.
    I find it to be fairly suitable for me. I can hold off on eating until noon-1pm with all of the coffee I consume, so there's no real discomfort. Hell, I find it almost difficult to get the 1900 calories in during that 8 hour window when it's higher in clean carbs.

I would love to see you try IF as im thinking about using it for next year. I also think that you would do better on a non full body split, so get that program sorted out.
    I'll post a fair amount of detail in here with what I'm doing. If I end up using Martin as a consultant for this, I will have to dial back the detail a little, but since he hasn't responded to my email it isn't looking terribly good.

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    80lb inclines are not bad "stuff"...not bad at all. And considering you're leaning out thats pretty damn impressive. I wish I could do some inclines with taht weight at this point. Looking on point bud.
    Thanks b0rrach0. Had I not been a bit stronger in the past, I'd not complain too much. I'm pretty sure switching to a reasonable diet/training routine for a bit will sort things out.

A bit later I will post up some new things. A summary of these new things - moderate deficit (11 * bw cals), 3 or 4 day split with low volume, eat from noon-8pm ish, get ripped. More to come.