The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 52 of 252 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 6286
    I'll let the dips go this time because of the awesome job you did on inclines. Good to see the db tri extensions in there too. ACKSHMEE sends the mystical pump to enlighten you.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Nice work G. How's your back lately?

capn : not you

rookie : thanks. Like I said, I felt weak overall today, so I was pleased with the duration I withstood.

hy : thanks I figured that after the volume on the other two, I was more than fine. While I cut, I don't want to tax my muscles so hard that they barely recover.

mik : back feels much better. A lil muscular soreness left, but overall the spinal problems have ceased.

Nice on inclines. Especially considering recent injuries, etc.

*takes notes on progress of arch-nemesis*

bwahahahahhahahhahahhahahhahahahaha

Having a nemesis is fun.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Day 48 of 145 (97 days to go!)

Prolegomenon and Prefatory Pontifications
    Today I have quite a bit of DOMS in the upper body, although it set on much more quickly than before. The new level of volume has sparked some enthuse for my workouts once again.

I beat Metroid Prime last night. Total life wasted : 16 hours 00 minutes. Total items collected : 100%

Now, I'm going to move on to either :
    1. Zelda : Ocarina of Time
    2. Zelda : Ocrarina of Time Master Quest
    3. Zelda : Wind Waker
    4. Mario Sunshine
    5. Sonic the Hedgehog Mega Collection

You know why I play games? Television sucks. Games can actually pull me in for a bit so I don't have to pay attention to reality. Television has commercials and other **** that makes it impossible to focus. I would read, but I get too pissed off. I try to finish a book and I always get interrupted. I end up with 2 or 3 books that I've read half of, then I lose track of the storyline, and I say "**** it."

Mastication and Deglutition
    All is well in the Land of Nod.

Beverages : 1.5 gallons of water, 16oz coffee
    Supplements: Optimum Nutrition Glucosamine 750mg, Twinlab Daily One Caps, Twinlab B-100, Twinlab Super E Complex, Twinlab C-2000, 1fast400 ALA 1.5g, 20mg ephedra, 600mg caffeine (some from coffee)
    Total Calories: ~2023 kcal

[74g]55g whey protein, 7g highest lignin flaxseed oil, 1.5oz oatmeal
                 500 kcal, 15g fat, 37g carbs [5g fiber], 60g protein
               6.8oz chicken, 1.2oz oatmeal
                 330 kcal, 8g fat, 23g carbs [3g fiber], 42g protein
               2 cans tuna, 1.8oz oatmeal
                 431 kcal, 6g fat, 34g carbs [5g fiber],58g protein
               12oz turkey, 5g flaxseed oil, 1oz oatmeal
                 521 kcal, 14g fat, 32g carbs [3g fiber], 60g protein
               6oz cottage cheese, 1 cup bluebunny yogurt, 5g flaxseed oil, 15g psyllium fiber
                 241 kcal, 5g fat, 37g carbs [15g fiber], 27g protein

Toil and Tribulation
    Synopsis : OFF DAY! Going to celebrate by chillin like a villain.

Torpidity and Lethargy
    Energy : medium-high
    Total Sleep : ~7 hours

George Bush's Quote of the Day
    This is one of those statements that makes you say, "WTF?!?"

"There are some monuments where the land is so widespread, they just encompass as much as possible. And the integral part of the - the precious part, so to speak - I guess all land is precious, but the part that the people uniformly would not want to spoil, will not be despoiled. But there are parts of the monument lands where we can explore without affecting the overall environment." - March 13, 2001[/i]
    Last edited by galileo; 04-10-2003 at 09:50 AM.

Re: Day 48 of 145 (97 days to go!)

Originally posted by galileo chillin like a villian.
    villian?
    Perhaps some reading may be a good idea?

D'OH! That's what fast typing and failure to proof-reading will get you.

...let's pretend this never happened.

Its too late for that, Charlie! Your name's on teh li5t0rz!
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

ec : Yes...and we will meet again. MUAHAHAHA*cough*...haha...heh.

I've updated my BODY COMPOSITION CALCULATOR!! It now comes with a Repitition Estimator. I found it works "ok" with bodyweight exercises if you add your bodyweight to the measurement. Give it a shot!

I've still got to get back and beat Metriod Prime. I always buy a new video game before beating the other ones. Its taking me forever to get through the first part of the last stage, where you first come upon those metriods that split into 2 different kinds. Not cool.
    What is elite?

Here's my hint to get passed that. Figure out your path to get to the last door, then die. Then follow the path and ignore the fission metroids. You can't really kill them very easily, so it's best to just skip them. When you hear the shriek and they are close, drop into a ball and lay a bomb. You can time it so it explodes as they attach and you'll only lose a couple life points. I hope you have all of your energy tanks, because Metroid Prime can be a biotch.

I might have to do some more exploring then because I don't know that I do. I know I'm missing one or 2.

LOL, its been about a month since I've even tried playing it after dying in there twice. I was trying to out run them but kept getting caught. I was so close and one latched on and when I laid the bomb it blew me off the platform and all the way to the bottom. I cut it off there and stormed out of the room. Haven't picked up the gamecube controller since. I think that was the same day I bought DMC-2 for PS2.
    What is elite?

Day 49 of 145

Prolegomenon and Prefatory Pontifications
    I am so friggen sore yet again today. Going to figure out a leg workout before 1:00 this afternoon, then do my best to get it done in an hour or less.

I did my measurements again this morning and as usual it baffled me.
    bodyweight : 169 lbs (WTF?)
    ab : 17mm
    chest : 6.5mm
    quad : 16.5mm
    bodyfat : 11.3441162967432%
    lbm : 149.83 lbs
    fat : 19.17 lbs

Compared to Tuesday:
    bodyweight : 167 lbs
    ab : 16mm
    chest : 6.5mm
    quad : 16.5mm
    bodyfat : 10.8923742284068%
    lbm : 149.83 lbs
    fat : 18.19 lbs

Compared to Last Week:
    bodyweight : 166 lbs
    ab : 17mm
    chest : 7mm
    quad : 16mm
    bodyfat : 11.3441162967432%
    lbm : 147.17 lbs
    fat : 18.83 lbs

So this week, rather than losing any bodyfat, I gained lbm. Wonderful...IF I WAS ****ING BULKING. Maybe it's the 5g of creatine I took once this week. *sigh* I wish there were more absolutes in dieting.

Mastication and Deglutition
    Refeeding tomorrow. I'm starting to get donut cravings, which usually means trouble. My refeed will be split up as so:
    Six meals, every 2-2.5 hours.
    kcal : 500
    fat : ~8g
    carbs : ~80g
    protein : ~28g

NO fructose. I overdid it on the fruity **** last time. This time, I will do it a bit better.

Beverages : 1.5 gallons of water, 16oz coffee
    Supplements: Optimum Nutrition Glucosamine 750mg, Twinlab Daily One Caps, Twinlab B-100, Twinlab Super E Complex, Twinlab C-2000, 1fast400 ALA 1.5g, 20mg ephedra, 600mg caffeine (some from coffee)
    Total Calories: ~2007 kcal

[74g]55g whey protein, 7g highest lignin flaxseed oil, 1.5oz oatmeal
                 500 kcal, 15g fat, 37g carbs [5g fiber], 60g protein
               6.8oz chicken, 1.2oz oatmeal
                 330 kcal, 8g fat, 23g carbs [3g fiber], 42g protein
               [90g]66g whey protein, 7 rolls smarties
                 505 kcal, 6g fat, 50g carbs [0g fiber], 66g protein
               2 cans tuna, 1.8oz oatmeal
                 431 kcal, 6g fat, 34g carbs [5g fiber],58g protein
               6oz cottage cheese, 1 cup bluebunny yogurt, 5g flaxseed oil, 15g psyllium fiber
                 241 kcal, 5g fat, 37g carbs [15g fiber], 27g protein

Toil and Tribulation
    Synopsis : Well, this was my first time doing a leg workout in a professional environment since I was 18. When I arrived I expected my four selected exercises to take much longer than they did. Imagine my shock when I realized that I don't have to **** with equipment for 5 minutes between each set! But, much to my chagrin, they only possess 8 45lb plates, which makes me think the future leg workouts won't be so exciting.

The leg press was occupied by a calf-raising cross-trainer, so I started off with leg extensions.

leg extension : 60x8, 80x8, 110x8
    It's amazing how different this feels when you have consistent force throughout the entire movement. My legs looked big, but they are quite weak.

45 leg press : 2ppsx8, 3ppsx8, 4ppsx8
    I figured out where I stood here, but 3 sets was enough. I estimate that this machine will be rendered useless in 1-2 months.

lying hamstring curls : 60x8, 70x8, 70x8
    Again, consistent force is wonderous. I left these light because I didn't want any stress on my lower back. Unfortunately, these ****ers only jump up by increments of 10 (genius..let me tell you), so I might be taking a higher rep approach to progression.

lying calf-raise : 100x8, 150x8, 160x8
    I wasn't fully acclimated to this machine, even after three sets. I'll increase more next week.

hack calf-raise : 195x8, 215x8, 265x8
    More like it. I didn't get the full lower extension, but I started to feel it once I got to the higher weight.

hyperextension : +10x8, +10x8
    Boring but necessary.

seated back extension: 40x8, 40x8
    See above.

seated ab crunch : 70x8, 80x8, 100x5
    These felt like they worked my back more than my abs. I didn't feel like adjusting height on it, but next time I will.

HIIT elliptical cardio : 1 min warmup, 15H/45L x4, 2 min cooldown
    This was much easier than last time. Funny enough, last time was 2 weeks ago. It was odd to finish up on this note, but what the hell, right? I am cutting.

Overall I've never done so many things in one workout since my fullbody days. Insane! Here's the shocker.
    Total workout time: 45 minutes including cardio!

Torpidity and Lethargy
    Energy : medium
    Total Sleep : ~7 hours

George Bush's Quote of the Day

"I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy, but that could change." - May 22, 1998
    Last edited by galileo; 04-11-2003 at 01:24 PM.

How did leg day feel?

I'll tell you in about 1 hour and 30 minutes. (12:35 right now)

*cough*

Muscle Gain or fat loss:

Not to worry, you're up a bit in weight, likely just water maybe something else in the system. The pinches I have found vary a lot depending on how the water and fat loss is being distributed. I have on occasion found that I look in the mirror thinner, my waist is down slightly yet my ab pinch is higher. Or I pinch lower elsewhere but higher at the ab from a previous month. It seems to giggle and wiggle to differently so it varies the pinches. Look at as an average and trend over the weeks.

On the other hand, maybe it just PMS at the moment and all then rationale goes out the window.

Leg Day:

It had better be the best leg day you've evar had, f00! You're so hardcore, you can make any gym equipment sing the tune of intensity. So work it hard, dude.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Mik : There you go, slut.

rookie : I wasn't comfortable enough to go hardcore today. I'm going "slow n' steady." If you make the plates hit each other on those pussy cybex machines, the women and homos look at you funny.

I just saw your workout. 4pps is not shabby at all for a light day. Once you get use to the motion your legs will truly beg you to out plate that machine. And I see the I was right about he machine difference for curls and extensions. Mik noticed the same thing last week. Good choice to do the leg day at work.

Final note, ace on the 45 mins which means you won't have any problems keeping this scheme going. Workout looks great dude.

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Note : If you're a homo [ectx, etc.], I apologize for any offense. There's nothing wrong with being a homo. It's nature's way of saying there are too many babies. However, the fact remains that most people in the gym at work are of that persuasion. Thank you.

Originally posted by galileo
    [ However, the fact remains that most people in the gym at work are of that persuasion. Thank you. [/B]
    You must fit in well.

Again, I'll disregard that because you are cutting.

Ok maybe not. **** YOU!!!

rofl

Maybe you just have an over-abundance at your office.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 04-11-2003 at 01:51 PM.

I woke up this morning and my weight was 171. I swear to ****ing god I have no idea what the **** is going on. My ab pinch is not increasing.

I'm refeeding today in hopes of getting my metabolism/leptin back in line. If I end my cut weight 180 @ 8%, someone better ****ing call Guinness.

Maybe I finally got some water retention from the higher volume workouts? If I was on anabolics, I'd understand, but I'm not. I wish I was sometimes though. I bet it feels like all the hard work and dedication you put in finally amounts to something. Oh well, pipe dreams. I could inquire with the dealer in my gym, but I don't think my cat sells any of that. Maybe my girlfriend? ...nah.

Going to do some side shoulders and forearm work today! Peace.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    You're doing something right, so dont knock it, whitey.
    Well..do you LOOK any better?

Originally posted by galileo
    I woke up this morning and my weight was 171. I swear to ****ing god I have no idea what the **** is going on. My ab pinch is not increasing.

I'm refeeding today in hopes of getting my metabolism/leptin back in line. If I end my cut weight 180 @ 8%, someone better ****ing call Guinness.

Maybe I finally got some water retention from the higher volume workouts? If I was on anabolics, I'd understand, but I'm not. I wish I was sometimes though. I bet it feels like all the hard work and dedication you put in finally amounts to something. Oh well, pipe dreams. I could inquire with the dealer in my gym, but I don't think my cat sells any of that. Maybe my girlfriend? ...nah.

Going to do some side shoulders and forearm work today! Peace.
    I'm weight is going up and you pinching the same. Nice! I hope you figure it out soon so you can tell me when I cut next time. Oh, and it's a good thing you don't talk to yourself.