The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    aeckhardt-
    Yeah arginine is a great supplement.. glutamine you arent taking postworkout? Oh okay the end of the day I really wasnt sure exactly what you meant. I understand now.

ADDED Pre Carb-up Meal Supplements...

I have decided to add the following supplements to aid in the digestion and absorption of the carbs and also to hopefully help relieve the bloated feeling that the carb-up produces. I added some creatine just to make sure that my muscles are fully saturated with it. Also added some fish oils to help as well. Also decided to add some potassium to help with my sodium/potassium ratio.

Agree with Meals (GNC)
    9000 HUT units fungul protease
    450 ASP units acid protease
    150 FCC units lactase
    2230 units cellulase
    18 AG units amyloglucosidase
    1800 SKB units fungal amylase
    2250 units lipase

Enzyme Digestant (GNC)
    400 mg. pancreatin
    130 mg. alpha-amylase
    65 mg. betaine hydrochloride
    65 mg. pepsin
    65 mg. papain
    8.1 mg. ox bile extract 8:1

Ginger (GNC)
    1000 mg. ginger root (zingiberis officinale)
    (from 100 mg. ginger root extract)

5g creatine (EAS/GNC)

Fish Body Oils 1000 (GNC)
    180 mg. EPA
    120 mg. DHA

1000 mg. potassium (GNC)

... Might drop the potassium capsules and go with No-Salt since it contains 700 mg. potassium per 1/4 tsp.
    Last edited by MonStar1023; 03-09-2002 at 09:38 AM.

dude, you are gonna rattle.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

How many times are you gonna post what you are added. You have put that post up like 3 times

The_Chicken_Daddy-
    Hehe...

aeckhardt-
    This is my first time putting it up bro... I just got the supplements today.. I think you must be confused.

Saturday, 3-9-2002

Cardio.
    (AM) 20 minutes stationery bike, alternating 1 minute level 8 going a fast-pace then 1 minutes level 5 going a slower-pace.

... So sick of this sh*t.

Diet.
    • M1- 1 tbsp. peanut butter + coffee + heavy whipping cream + Equal
      M2- turkey breast
      M3- bag of peanuts
      M4- filet mignon
      CHEATED!... @ 11:00 PM ordered a damn Papa John's pizza and cheese bread! Ate some ice-cream too!!!

Overall Comments.
    Dropping HST...

Pain/Soreness.
    Wow pretty sore today. Chest, back, etc.

Sleep.
    8.5 hours of sleep last night. Felt good.

Supplements.
    • multi-vitamin 2x today
    • 1g vitamin C 3x today
    • 300 mcg. biotin 3x today
    • 1 Calcium Complete 3x today
    • 5cc Liquid Clenbutrx 2x today
    • Sleep Formula before bed

Training. Rest.

Training Comments.
    N/A.

Training Length.
    N/A.

Water.
    Last edited by MonStar1023; 03-09-2002 at 08:55 PM.

1,000 mg pottassium at once??? where did you get this idea from?
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

Monstar, I can't believe you're not even going to finish one cycle of HST before switching! I think you really can't evaluate the overall effects of a program by not even sticking with it for more than a month, especially when it's periodization based like HST.

Also, you stay in a calorically deficient state all the time. How can you evaluate the muscle building effectiveness of any program?

Lastly, your diet and supplement stuff waste so much of your time and mental energy IMO. All this talk of bloating and trying to lose a pound at each workout, totally unhealthy. If you want to make some good gains, just eat a normal, healthy diet -- not gatorade and swedish fish, comon man :-) This NHE stuff is ridiculous, there is so much talk in your journal of how you feel like crap all the time.

Ok, personally I wish you were staying with HST, cause I like reading your journal, but the above advice is offered b/c I think you would really make your best gains by taking your mind out of the whole equation. Just eat healthy and lift often and stop thinking about it so much.

All programs work, some work better than others. Some help you reach your genetic potential faster. That's it. You listen to Mason's stuff like the guy knows something magical about building big arms. It's not rocket science, you know what I mean? There are plenty of guys with huge arms at my gym, some lift HIT style, some Men's Health style, some high volume Arnold style. It all works. And the thing about having to change your program often is the dumbest piece of advice in the world, just keep adding work (more weight, etc.).

I wish you well with the new program though! I still be reading, but again, sorry to lose you so quickly from the program. Bummer :-(

I agree with Marshall.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

When did MS say he was stopping the HST routine? OR did he delete that post before I saw it?

Originally posted by aeckhardt
    When did MS say he was stopping the HST routine? OR did he delete that post before I saw it?
    It just says "Dropping HST..." in the "Overall Comments" section of his last journal entry. No explanation.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Re: Saturday, 3-9-2002

Originally posted by MonStar1023
    [B][u][b]Dropping HST...

Pain/Soreness.
    Wow pretty sore today. Chest, back, etc.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Originally posted by aeckhardt
    Andrew - he mentioned this on a post on the main board as well. I think it was about Mentzer's Routine that Chris Mason posted.

Monstar - you've developed quite the following here!

MS- And I was so proud of you that you actually did NHE for awhile.

I am sticking with NHE dont worry about that bro. HST works okay I guess. I just personally dont care for it thats all.

NHE is an excellent diet that I recommend to all.

Riiiiiiiiiiight. If that is the way you feel then fine. I don't agree on HST.

Honestly this entire beginner way of training with HST just doesnt feel right to me. I mean hitting my whole body 3x per week. Ill pass on that one.

Ok. Again, i disagree, but whatever it is obviously up to you. I'll keep you updated on my results.

Monstar - It would be cool if you could post why "it doesn't feel right" to you, or some explanation of what you were hoping for that you didn't get. Again, while trying to lose a pound at each workout (not a good way to hold on to or, for that matter, build muscle) you really can't be expecting much from any routine.

My thoughts about HST - my Squat strength appears to be going way up, I'm looking at raising my 5RM 50lbs - I'll let you know. My endurance is much improved. Muscle health is greatly improved -- my contractions when posing are INSANE. Soreness has been completely eliminated from my life. Once a week style I was sore ALL the time. One day after chest, I could barely put a jacket on -- legs, barely sit on the toilet.

On top of all that, workouts take me anywhere from 25-35 mins. With stretching and cardio I'm out in 1hr. What's not to like?

Just curious. Peace.

One more thing, go back and read your journal -- you seem to be loving every workout, your last entry reads "on to the 5's!" or something -- what happened man?

Yeah, you were loving this **** and then you sprung this on us. I agree totally with everything Marshall said about the results of the program so far.

Yeah soreness was gone. But with this type of program I mean my results were not as good as I liked. For example training in general was fun. But I like doing a few exercises per bodypart. Not just one. I mean honestly hitting each bodypart with just ONE exercise. Thats just not my thing. I dont really know what happened. It seems too much like a fad type of program rather than a traditional bodybuilding training program.

MarshallPenn-
    What you said about soreness with one day a week is DEFINITELY true.

Monstar - Again, good luck with the new program. We'll keep you posted on HST results. But, I still don't understand how you can be getting "results" while dropping weight like mad. Keep up the cool journal!