The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Chest strength was great until I stretched...

I recently went to a sports MD (correct term?) for some pain in my shoulders when lifting above my head. After an examination, tests, and x-rays he concluded that the problem was strictly mechanical and that the pain was due to the muscles being too tight through my shoulders/back/chest.

He said that my shoulder blades weren't moving the way they should when I moved my arms (above my head mainly), and that this was causing an impingement and resulting in pain. Anyways he is sending me to therapy for a few sessions to learn some stretches and exercises to relieve tightness (and also for shoe inserts which is a completely different problem).

Wanting to get a head start, I did this chest stretch for 30 seconds (each side) for 2 nights in a row.

Then I worked out today and when doing bench, my strength was absolutely horrible. I can normally do 245x6 no problem. I even did 260x5 not too long ago! But tonight (didn't do any stretches today), I could only get 245x3! My strength on other exercises (pulldowns, skullcrushers, curls, shoulder press, etc) was great.

The only thing I can think of is that stretching I did the 2 previous nights. Is it possible that it really affected my strength like that? And if so, is this just a temporary setback or will my weights always be lower than they are w/o stretching?

thanks

p.s. I've always used a full ROM and very controlled movements on every exercise, just in case that comes up.
    Last edited by jww13; 12-04-2006 at 08:44 PM.
    Stats
    BF: 13.2% (6-10-07 w/ calipers)

Lifts
    Bench: 300x1 (9-22-06)
    Squat: 285x4
    Deadlift: 225x10

Long-term Goals
    Weight: 180 BF: 8% Bench: 315x1

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i really dont think so there has to be some other variable did you not warm up enough? did you do the bench at a different time in your workout? was there some type of distraction during your bench? did you think the streaching was going to affect it?
    Way down this road, in a gym far away, a young man was once heard to say, "I've repped high and I've repped low, No matter what I do my legs won't grow."

He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses, too. Trying to cheat these sissy workouts he'd do. From the corner of the gym where the big men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty fives. A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees.

Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack, Chalking his hands and monstrous back, Said "Boy stop lying and don't say you've forgotten, Trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN"

when was the last time you have benched from your 245x3 today? iv had this happen to me plenty of times. has your diet been good? you say all your other lifts were fine though?
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

You weren't warmed enough or you stretched too much and you fatigued your rotator cuffs muscles: a loss in bench strength is normal. Had you stretched even more, these muscles would probably be sore today.

Try to do these stretches (and whatever else they will show you) at the end of your training sessions.
    Last edited by Max Thunder; 12-04-2006 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 8.8 View Post
    i really dont think so there has to be some other variable did you not warm up enough? did you do the bench at a different time in your workout? was there some type of distraction during your bench? did you think the streaching was going to affect it?
    I did everything the same. Same order. No distractions, the weight just felt MUCH heavier than it normally feels (mainly from the bottom part of the lift). I honestly didn't even think about the stretching until after my workout when I was trying to figure out why bench went so badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Natetaco
    when was the last time you have benched from your 245x3 today? iv had this happen to me plenty of times. has your diet been good? you say all your other lifts were fine though?
    The last time I did bench was 5 days ago, and I did 245x6 for set 1 and 245x5 for set 2. Diet has been very good, I just hit my goal of 180 lbs today. My other lifts went very well, even felt stronger on my skullcrushers (which was my last exercise).

Quote Originally Posted by Max Thunder
    You weren't warmed enough or you stretched too much and you fatigued your rotator cuffs muscles: a loss in bench strength is normal. Had you stretched even more, these muscles would probably be sore today.

Try to do these stretches (and whatever else they will show you) at the end of your training sessions.
    So should I avoid stretching my chest except right after I work it? Stretching it on my off days is a bad idea?

thanks
    Last edited by jww13; 12-04-2006 at 09:34 PM.
    Stats
    BF: 13.2% (6-10-07 w/ calipers)

Lifts
    Bench: 300x1 (9-22-06)
    Squat: 285x4
    Deadlift: 225x10

Long-term Goals
    Weight: 180 BF: 8% Bench: 315x1

I'm nowhere near your strength but I also tried stretching pre-workout and found that it badly affected my bench. I agree with the guy who said it was something to do with the rotaor cuffs, at least that's where I felt the lack in strength.
    I leave the stretching till warm down.

I would strech after your workout.

If you do it on off days, make sure you warm up before hand.

Could also be an "off" day.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

it could be all kinds of things. Personally i dont think that only hitting 3 reps instead of 6 is to drastic a strength drop. If it continues to go down then theres a problem. Maybe you werent mentally ready for it or didnt eat enough. I think maybe your thinkin about it too much. That can effect you alot.
    Don't Cry Because Its Over; Smile Because It's Happened
    Shut Up and Do Some Deadlifts

As of 11/13/06

Age - 19
    Ht - 6'2''
    Weight - 260lbs x 1 (goal -20lbs)
    Bench - 260lbs x 1 (goal +40lbs)
    Squat - 550lbs x 1 (happy for now)
    Deadlift - 405 x 1 after 2 sets of 6 with 315 (goal +95lbs)
    Supplements - Whey Protein, Fish Oil, Multi-Vitamin.
    outnumber

Always stretch after your workout, not before. Stetching before will affect your strength negatively to some extent and besides, stretching post workout helps relieve DOMS.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

If your going to stretch before you should do stretches where you move your arms around alot, I think their called dynamic stretches.

The other kind of stretch, the kind you said you were doing, puts the muscle to sleep. At least thats what I read somewhere.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...hing-round.htm

I agree that stretching pre-workout can make you weaker, static stretching primarily. Remember, all activity is the balance between stiffness (stability) and mobility. A stiff, stable muscle is a strong muscle (as anyone on Dianabol and insulin knows).

Static stretching destabilizes this stiffness and therefore decreases the contraction leverage or mechanical advantage.
    The article advocates stretching, it says that stretching actually makes you stronger.
    Last edited by stevec087; 12-06-2006 at 08:30 AM.

I think strength can be affected by flexibility levels. Although, I don't think doing one stretch for two days would have an appreciable impact on your strength. And regardless, I think the benefits of flexibility far outweigh any detrimental effects on strength.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by ddegroff View Post
    I would strech after your workout.

If you do it on off days, make sure you warm up before hand.

Could also be an "off" day.
    I was going to make a thread about that...

What's a good type of warmup for stretching on off days? I'm rehabbing my shoulder right now and the range of movement during those stretches is already noticably up and the pain is down.... but for warming up all I've been doing is a few shoulder rotations and unweighted squats to get the blood flowing.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

next-tyson-but-white arnoldsclone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jww13 View Post

The only thing I can think of is that stretching I did the 2 previous nights. Is it possible that it really affected my strength like that? And if so, is this just a temporary setback or will my weights always be lower than they are w/o stretching?

thanks

p.s. I've always used a full ROM and very controlled movements on every exercise, just in case that comes up.
    I've read in a number of different sources that claim you will not be as strong if you stretch, and that it's not recommended to stretch but to rather take a light weight for the exercise you want to do and then do some perfect form slow reps to warm everything so it won't get injured and is primed to lift.

Ahnold says, " milk is for babies!"
    "deadlift if you know"- myself
    Boxing/ working out 5 days a week!
    6'1"- 230lbs-and bulking till i can't stand the mirror
    Former fatass- whent from 302lbs to 207 lbs rippling 05-06
    bench 315
    deadlift 455
    squat 405
    big 3 total = 1175 lbs of RAW IRON!!!MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote Originally Posted by arnoldsclone View Post
    I've read in a number of different sources that claim you will not be as strong if you stretch, and that it's not recommended to stretch but to rather take a light weight for the exercise you want to do and then do some perfect form slow reps to warm everything so it won't get injured and is primed to lift.
    Yeah... that doesn't work for everyone, apparantly. I do 20 reps of light weight before basically anything I do and my shoulder's lack of mobility still ended up getting so bad I can't currently straighten my right arm out to the side, shoulder height, without pain.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

next-tyson-but-white arnoldsclone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer View Post
    Yeah... that doesn't work for everyone, apparantly. I do 20 reps of light weight before basically anything I do and my shoulder's lack of mobility still ended up getting so bad I can't currently straighten my right arm out to the side, shoulder height, without pain.
    you're an odd example though, you're plagued with physical problems man. you're whole vision thing might be effecting that.......... go get a deep tissue massage, you'll hurt for a day or 2 but omg you will be stronger on back day, and chest day, and every other day that there is lol.

Ahnold says, " milk is for babies!"
    "deadlift if you know"- myself
    Boxing/ working out 5 days a week!
    6'1"- 230lbs-and bulking till i can't stand the mirror
    Former fatass- whent from 302lbs to 207 lbs rippling 05-06
    bench 315
    deadlift 455
    squat 405
    big 3 total = 1175 lbs of RAW IRON!!!MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Depending on how HARD you stretch, can affect your lifts. Some stretching can be as fatiguing as a good set of benching. So perhaps you fatigued out. You probably got a decent workout also.