The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

What's the secret to keep from over-consuming certain vitamins

and minerals which could be toxic, such as vitamin a,d, the b's, calcium and iron, for example. I take 2 multivitamins, opticean, and the vitamins and minerals I get from foods. Am I at risk for toxicity and what are the warning signs that you might be over-doing the vitamins and minerals the body stores?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Not a great resource, but here's the wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_poisoning

It says that deaths in the US are rare, typically zero.

That question would be tough to say yes to because it takes a lot of vitamins and minerals to actually make you ill. From the little bit of research I did, it looks like you would have to try pretty hard to get poisoned.
    How much do you weigh? If you are truly concerned, you could take 1 less multivitamin.

Wannabebig New Member Raisecapital01's Avatar
    Hmmm! Interesting I was wondering the same thing too. I read a lot about this in my nutrition class.
    Raise Capital in 90 Days Online - NOW!
    Learn How It Works!
    Bedzzz Inn, Inc raised $92,867 with this system!

It's pretty hard to get toxic levels of minerals and vitamins. Usually if you get too much of a mineral, diarrhea happens. As long as you keep stuff in balance, such as balancing calcium and magnesium, you can get high amounts of these.

Vitamin wise, the water soluble are easily excreted in urine. Some can be toxic but it requires very very high level, most likely your multi doesn't have them. Fat-soluble tends to be more toxic, but multivitamins rarely include them in big amounts. They prefer to include the very cheap beta-carotene, which is not toxic because your body control its conversion to vitamin A. Vitamin D, most likely they don't put much. The RDA is very low for that vitamin and they're basing their dosages off that. You already get a lot of vitamin D whenever you tan, so the only common way to get vit D toxicity is to combine sun exposure with cod liver oil.

Some of them might have long term negative impacts though. Care should be taken with iron and copper supplementation, as both of them are heavy metals that the body doesn't handle as easily and can increase oxidative stress in too high amounts.

So in general you are pretty safe, although at your place I'd cut at least 1 multi and replace it with more meat, veggies or nuts.

Oh and the secret is: balance.
    Last edited by Max Thunder; 12-06-2006 at 09:18 PM.

The secret? Stop taking vitamins. If you diet is good you won't need them.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapour Trails View Post
    The secret? Stop taking vitamins. If you diet is good you won't need them.
    thats if you have a perfect diet 100% of the time which is very rare

i believe every person who is serious about thier healt should take a multi-vitamin

you dont need to cut back at all 2 a day wont hurt you unless it has unbeliveably high levels of certain vitamins which i doubt it does
    Way down this road, in a gym far away, a young man was once heard to say, "I've repped high and I've repped low, No matter what I do my legs won't grow."

He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses, too. Trying to cheat these sissy workouts he'd do. From the corner of the gym where the big men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty fives. A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees.

Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack, Chalking his hands and monstrous back, Said "Boy stop lying and don't say you've forgotten, Trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN"