Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get Built - Issue 5 - By MariAnne Anderson - Dec 9th 2006

Get Built - Issue 5 - By MariAnne Anderson - Dec 9th 2006

This month Built talks about exercise and hives, insulin resistance and glycogen replenishment.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=282

Enjoy

Daniel
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    Another keeper!

MariAnne - based on what I've just read (the last question to be specific,) it sounds as if consuming someting like 60g of carbs (Mix of mid/high GI) and 30g of whey protein about an hour before a workout is a good idea? I'll probably still do the shake after, because I enjoy gulping down 620 easy cals on a bulk.
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

Built, I get those hives all the time, never knew what they were from.....very informative article...

And what in the name of jaysus is the chiquita banana song?
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

McVein - it's amazing how many people get the itchies from exercise and don't know what it is - until you mention it. We need some sort of meathead support group or something.

But enough talk - on to the Chiquita Banana song:

<play>

lmfao!
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

I suspect I too am insulin resistant, since I've cut back on carbs I've lost nearly 25 in a few weeks (some of which I can attribute to water I'm sure).

Great read. I would have though Post Workout nutrition to be more important then pre workout nutrition, now I know!

In your article however, are you hinting at ketosis when your talking about how glycogen will be spared for the brain when on low carb diets? What are your personal opinions/experiences on ketosis (and from what I understand its inherit ability to switch your bodily fuel source indirectly to fat)?

Is it generally a good idea to do something like that if your insulin resistant?

I have a number of feelings with regard to ketosis, none of them negative. I stayed in ketosis for many months when I did Atkins and I was fine. I'm not sure what you're asking, but ketosis is normal in a healthy body - my understanding of it is that we slip in and out of ketosis over the course of a day as we store and retrieve fat.

Glad you found the article helpful.

Wannabebig New Member
    I have a friend who gets the itchies but only when the temperature is too COOL. Antihistimine works for her, too. As long as it is warm enough she doesn't have a problem. Weird.

57 tall, 131 lbs, 43 years old, female

BMR = 1337.65
    BUILT'S BMR is l33t!
    Last edited by D Breyer; 12-11-2006 at 06:04 PM.
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Built, awesome article!

Quote Originally Posted by D Breyer View Post
    BUILT'S BMR is l33t!
    Don't you forget it baby. I'm t3h r0xx0rz

ArchAngel777 - thank you very much! Oh - I've been meaning to ask - does 777 mean you're the neighbour of the beast?

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    Don't you forget it baby. I'm t3h r0xx0rz

ArchAngel777 - thank you very much! Oh - I've been meaning to ask - does 777 mean you're the neighbour of the beast?

My name is Gabriel, my parents named me after the Arch Angel, Gabriel in the Bible. So, you know... Actually, I prefer to use my real name on forums, but since Gabriel is ALWAYS taken (not sure why this is) I can never get it. So, I decide to use an alias to elude to my real name. The 777 is opposite to the 666 beast number (which ironically is actually 686, translation error!). So in a nutshell my handle means this:

Arch Angel = Gabriel

777 = Good

I am Gabriel, with an alignment of Lawful-Good (D & D!!! Woot!) Yes, I will be a Paladin

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Your back looks insanely awesome in this one, MariAnne. The striations are insane.

Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 12-13-2006 at 02:16 AM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

I just fixed a few bits in the article and added in a new picture
    Last edited by Joe Black; 12-13-2006 at 02:22 AM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    Your back looks insanely awesome in this one, MariAnne. The striations are insane.

Thanks sCaRz!

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar

The striations coming out of your shoulders are what really gets me. Looks almost...not...real. Keep up the good work.

I keep all the Get Built articles in my sig for easy reference.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Wannabebig Member
    Hey Built,

Great Article, I'm gonna go buy some Dextros this week for my Pre-workout shake. A couple of questions...I've heard around that if you can't find Dextros, Sweet Tarts are 100% dextrose. Is this true? The closest place that sells it from me is a little bit of a hike, so I'll probably order some online, but in the mean time, I'd like something.

My Second question is about the Anabolic window that happens right after you lift. I understand how protien intake is very important during this time, but what is happening with that protien during this time? A lot of other articles I've read state that almost all muscle building occurs at night during sleep. Is this true?

Thanks

I believe you're right about the sweet tarts, but you should be able to get dex really cheap at a u-brew.

My understanding of the "anabolic window" is your body starts fixing the damage you just did as soon as it has the raw materials with which to do so. You want the insulin to deliver the goods, and of course sleep is when a lot of healing happens, which is, after all, what this is.

Wannabebig Member
    Built,
    I have more question. How important is it to mix Dextrose and Maltodextrin, would the results be similiar if I just used Maltodextrin? I'm finding that adding the proper ammount Dextrose to my shake makes it a bit too sweet for my tastes and makes me feel really bloated, but I do not have the same experience with using the same ammount of just Maltodextrin.

The difference has more to do with bloating than anything else.

If you're more comfortable with the taste of malto, just stick to that. Ultimately it breaks down into dextrose pretty much right away.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel777 View Post
    My name is Gabriel, my parents named me after the Arch Angel, Gabriel in the Bible. So, you know... Actually, I prefer to use my real name on forums, but since Gabriel is ALWAYS taken (not sure why this is) I can never get it. So, I decide to use an alias to elude to my real name. The 777 is opposite to the 666 beast number (which ironically is actually 686, translation error!). So in a nutshell my handle means this:

Arch Angel = Gabriel

777 = Good

I am Gabriel, with an alignment of Lawful-Good (D & D!!! Woot!) Yes, I will be a Paladin
    From all I've read, the mistranslation was 616, not 686.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_the_Beast
    http://www.google.com/search?q=616+mark+beast

You are correct Gal, but that wasn't really the point of the post anyway. The point was that it has been mistranslated.
    Last edited by ArchAngel777; 02-01-2007 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    I believe you're right about the sweet tarts, but you should be able to get dex really cheap at a u-brew.

My understanding of the "anabolic window" is your body starts fixing the damage you just did as soon as it has the raw materials with which to do so. You want the insulin to deliver the goods, and of course sleep is when a lot of healing happens, which is, after all, what this is.
    Just make sure you read the ingredients. There are many variations of sweet tarts and some of them use dextrose, some of them don't.

The best source of dextrose besides dextrose of course would probably be the candy known as "smarties". That is what I use.