The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Newbie needs help!!

Ok so I want to get serious about lifting but I'm clueless on what to do. I've been searching around this site and have learned a lot but I'm left with questions.

I'll start by explaining my goals. I am a male weighing 122 lbs with 8% body fat with a goal of 150 lbs and 5% body fat. I realize I need to eat and I'm willing to up,up,up my calorie intake. I enjoy running and cycling and I work a physical job which I don't plan on stopping any.

I'm thinking about either the BGB or the WBB routines I found right here on this site. They both require so little time it's almost hard to believe.

On to my questions-

1. Is it possible to gain stright muscle mass without gaining fat? Right now, I have a ripped 6 pack that I worked dam hard to get and I don't want to throw a layer of fat on top OR is it neccassary to follow a "bulk" than "Cutting" phase?

2.If I do in fact have to include a cutting phase how would my routine change? Would I just follow the same routine that I was doing but just change my diet? I hear all this about high reps to cut than I hear only 5 reps to cut, which is it?

3.I noticed the WBB routines are arranged in a periodized fasion, am I correct to think that WBB1 works on manily strength, WBB2 on hypertrophy and WBB3alternating both? Would this be the correct way for a beginner to go about weight training? OTOH, looking at the BGB routine seems to be a little non liner with the reps ranging between both, would this be a better way to go or is this just for experienced?

4. Would I still see gains if I were to keep up 4-5 hours of cardio a week? I really enjoy running and cycling and 4 hours would be a mojor cut back. I will replace the calories burned but does cardio burn much muscle as well?

5.I may have a hard time getting the calories I need through food, is it safe to use supplements like protien shakes and such?

Ok these may seem like stupid questions to some of you but I'm a wee bit confused.

thanks in advance for any replies.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

1. Is it possible to gain stright muscle mass without gaining fat? Right now, I have a ripped 6 pack that I worked dam hard to get and I don't want to throw a layer of fat on top OR is it neccassary to follow a "bulk" than "Cutting" phase?

Most people bulk/cut. I am trying to avoid this by bulking so slowly that I do not need to cut. I will warn you that this approach is somewhat discouraging in it's results.

2.If I do in fact have to include a cutting phase how would my routine change? Would I just follow the same routine that I was doing but just change my diet? I hear all this about high reps to cut than I hear only 5 reps to cut, which is it?

I leave this to those who know more about the bulk/cut cycle than I.

3.I noticed the WBB routines are arranged in a periodized fasion, am I correct to think that WBB1 works on manily strength, WBB2 on hypertrophy and WBB3alternating both? Would this be the correct way for a beginner to go about weight training? OTOH, looking at the BGB routine seems to be a little non liner with the reps ranging between both, would this be a better way to go or is this just for experienced?

If I were you, I would do whichever workout seems the most interesting to you. None of the ones your mentioned are 'bad'. As you learn about yourself and about weightlifting you'll ease into the workout that's best for you.

4. Would I still see gains if I were to keep up 4-5 hours of cardio a week? I really enjoy running and cycling and 4 hours would be a mojor cut back. I will replace the calories burned but does cardio burn much muscle as well?

I said the same things when I was first posting here. If you want to 'buff up' I suggest you ease back on the cardio. You're burning calories there which could be used in building muscle - worse you may be burning muscle. If you want to be an endurant, athletic man, then maybe keep your cardio up - but EAT

5.I may have a hard time getting the calories I need through food, is it safe to use supplements like protien shakes and such?

It is safe, but I would rather eat foods. I do drink a shake, but largely as part of a post-workout meal. Better to eat lots of fish, chicken, veggies, and peanut butter!

Good questions. They deserve better answers than I have to give.

- its pretty hard to change your body overnight, unless your criss angel ... it takes a long time. of course its possible to gain straight muscle... eat clean as possible, lots of protein, 1gram of proten per pound of body wieght. no nasty fats, such as junk food, greasy oils. no bad carbs, such as, sugars and white breads. little bit of butter and salts, nothing more. other then that whole meats, fish, chicken, beef. three to five servings of fruit or veggies, one apple equals a serving, cup or green beans equals a serving... good carbs= potato (yum), yams, brown rice... theres not allot of good carbs.

- the more muscle you build is better. the muscle burns fat and the body runs more efficent. the more mscle you have the more food intake you need... therefore, the more you eat the more potential muscle you can build, or, the more you eat and the less exercise= fat. wwb#1 recommends 6-8 reps if you wanna build muscle... which is the only way to go; at first.

i dont know.

i dont know what cadio does for you exactly, it works your muscles which builds them... but not as much as weight lifting would. i love to rollar blade and swim... it just builds up your stamina... which means it balances out your body with your weight. its all about your muscles, and how much they get worked. you stave your body from protein, then your muscles suffer. its simple, the more muscle you have, the more power you have, the more power you have the farther you will go, the farther you go the more energy you use, the more energy you use the more yo-ur body feeds off itself... dont starve your muscle which gives you power which feeds off your fat which makes you look good

- definetely, protein shakes are good... just not as good as the real thing, such as, steak and chickaaan

Ok these may seem like stupid questions to some of you but I'm a wee bit confused.

work at it day by day... it can only get better, it might not seem like it at times, but stick with it and come here to get help and it will be better in the end. if you want it bad enough, you will succeed and what you want will come trueoutnumber

thanks in advance for any replies.
    my goals: gain weight and muscle mass

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks guys!! I guess all I have left to do is hit the gym. I plan to purchase some books on proper diet. I eat healthy now but not to sure how to transfer that over into builing muscle.

I decided on trying the WBB routines. I'll start with 1 and stay till I stop seeing progress than continue.

You hit it on the nail, clean bulk. Look into doggcrapp training, 5x5 or wbb1 for a training program. You have to find a medium between eating too much, and eating too little

Wannabebig Member
    Doggcrapp training, now thats interesting. I can get into that!

Read up on t-nation, hell there is a plethora of stuff on this site itself.