The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

You ever feel like quitting?

My squat is 225x4
    Bench is 300x1
    Deadlift 405
    Dumbell shoulder press 100 lb dumbells x6-8
    Barbell Rows is 245x5ish

I'm pretty stuck now at these weights. For the first time I'm actually getting really frustrated and kinda sad. I feel like not doing this anymore. I'm still 295-300 lbs. I still have ****ty chin-ups.

What it feels like is my newbie gains are done. I'm at a crossroads where I either have to lose weight and strength. or gain 20 pounds and gain strength.

I hate whining. My questions are...
    Can you tell when you're done with your newbie gains? How long did it take you to get over the fact that you're not going to PR every other week? What keeps you going?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I stopped getting newbie gains after a few months (3-4). I think seeing gains after your newbie gains die out are a lot more satisfying because you have to work that much harder to see the results. How long have you been on your current routine? Maybe you should try to switch it up a bit.

My motivation is I don't want to be a lazy fatass. Before I started weight training I was a sloppy looking bastard. Now I am a fairly built bastard. I think keeping motivated is the hardest part of lifting. That is why goals are key. They give you something to work towards so you aren't lifting aimlessly.

http://www.animalpak.com/journey/index.cfm

^was in Hatred's sig. I found it pretty inspiring.
    Last edited by EvanH; 12-09-2006 at 12:32 PM.

My squat is 225x4
    Bench is 300x1
    Deadlift 405
    Barbell Rows is 245x5ish

I'm pretty stuck now at these weights. For the first time I'm actually getting really frustrated and kinda sad. I feel like not doing this anymore. I'm still 295-300 lbs. I still have ****ty chin-ups.

What it feels like is my newbie gains are done. I'm at a crossroads where I either have to lose weight and strength. or gain 20 pounds and gain strength.

Can you tell when you're done with your newbie gains? How long did it take you to get over the fact that you're not going to PR every other week? What keeps you going?
    Hey man.. don't get all bummed out.. it looks to me like your answer is staring you in the face. Before we touch on that, we should cover all the usual bases. How is your caloric intake? Protein intake? If your not gaining weight, then its time to bump up your calories. Are you overtraining? Whats your routine look like? Ample rest? How long has it been since you changed your routine?

Now.. if you look at your numbers, obviously your squat is severely lagging behind. Oddly enough, this could be the answer to your problems. Your body wants to grow as a whole. If you have been using the same routine for a couple months, it might be time to switch to a new routine. If I were you, I would switch to a routine with an emphasis on squats. Perhaps Bill Starr's 5x5? Put some meat on your legs, and your other lifts will improve as well. Give it a try, and tell us the results.
    Last edited by ancom41; 12-09-2006 at 12:47 PM.

Height: 6'2
    Weight: 195 (01JAN09)
    B/F: 11%
    Goal Weight: 210
    Starting weight: 150 (10/1/04)

Quote Originally Posted by ViciousBish View Post
    My squat is 225x4
    Bench is 300x1
    Deadlift 405
    Barbell Rows is 245x5ish

so as a newb you've got this kind of strength and your thinking of quiting?....then you probably should

personally ive been training for over a year now an im still basically hitting pr's in everything all the time, so i cant answer that question

what keeps me going is the fact that reaching my goals means absolutely everything to me

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    You should quit. That way you'll make more room for those that have a burning desire to meet goals, overcome plateaus, etc...

Or you could stop whining and figure out a solution to your problem.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    You should quit. That way you'll make more room for those that have a burning desire to meet goals, overcome plateaus, etc...

Or you could stop whining and figure out a solution to your problem.
    You're right, I do whine. The thing that bothers me is that I'm psyched up everytime I go to the gym. You can't make me not go. It's after I'm done lifting when I feel miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by ViciousBish View Post
    You're right, I do whine. The thing that bothers me is that I'm psyched up everytime I go to the gym. You can't make me not go. It's after I'm done lifting when I feel miserable.
    Don't obsess over the numbers. Focus on lifting as hard as you can for the sake of your health. It's more enjoyable than cardio.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

what movements are you doing to help your squat? I don't squat much at all, but doing GHR and reverse hypers knocked me out of my plateau REAL quick.

I roughly do Bill Starr's 5x5. (roughly meaning, I need an extra day off and I throw in chin-ups and some extra excercises once a week.) My lagging squats are a priority. I've been on this program for about a month and a half. I love it. I stopped drinking soda and most of my alchohol intake besides one night a week. I make sure I take 2 big protein shakes a day. (maybe I should look deeper into my diet like you say.) I do admit my extra excercises might effect my Bill Starr's 5x5 and I don't add weight as strictly as Bill Starr's program suggests. Also, I don't have long term goals because I have no idea what is possible. I've come farther than I thought I would in strength. And I've failed misserably at hitting my weightloss goals when I first started coming on this board. Maybe I just need new goals? I don't know what goals to have though. My focus is over-all strength in the big excersizes. My secondary focus is having my fat slowly melt away.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Just keep pushing through that feeling man. "To achieve what others don't, you have to do what others won't."
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

wait are you trying to cut or bulk? You weight 300 LBS?
    [Journal | My Diet]
    [Bench 170x5 | Squat 255x5 | Deadlift 300x5]
    "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried."

Shoulder press with 100lb dumbells is very strong. I wouldn't be disappointed with that. Most people struggle to BENCH 100 lb'ers.

bro if you wanna quit and you really love to lift then you wont be able to quit, you will probly end up taking about 3 or 4 months off and the whole time losing all your strength and muscle then all of a sudden you will have more motivation than ever and you will do it all again, i went through that **** back when i started

Quote Originally Posted by Davidelmo View Post
    Shoulder press with 100lb dumbells is very strong. I wouldn't be disappointed with that. Most people struggle to BENCH 100 lb'ers.
    Yeah, but not a lot of people weigh in at 300 either.

There was a time when I pretty much quit lifting. I'd go to the gym maybe once or twice a week and this lasted for 3-4 months. I lost all motivation, as we all lose ourselves from time to time.
    But you have to lose yourself to find yourself.

eh.. That sounded corny.

My advice is to set some long term goals! Judging by your weight to lift ratio, you've still got tons of room for improvement. Do you want to lose weight? Do you not care about weight and only about strength? You're the only one who can decide what your goals are.

Start a WBB journal! It helps. Set new goals after every workout. If you look at my journal, I set new goals for myself after every workout. If I am able to bench 190 for 4x5, then I can't finish my fifth set, I try again next week. If I finish at the desired weight, I try again next week.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidelmo View Post
    Man, I'm not sure I could deadlift 100lb dumbells off the floor.

ViciousBish, when I'm stuck in a rut I take up some miscellaneous exercises like grip training or farmers walks or something. My philosophy is if my big 3 aren't going up then something else will, dammit. Find your weaknesses and improve those. My calves were and are my weakest link and I made them a priority in my workouts, and now I can max out the calf machine for 11 paused reps. I had kind of a ****ty workout today and I left feeling pretty down, but tomorrow is another day I guess.

Also, if the weight isn't moving up, lower it and work on your form. You can always improve something. It's not always about the numbers, form matters too.

My bench has been in the 315-325 range for a little over 2 years now, it happens man.

^^ That's pretty good advice. I'd never though of that before - when something is stuck, find something else to improve. I like it!

I was really discouraged with lifting for a while, for many of the same reasons. Not only were my lifts plateauing, but I was actually losing strength. It would discourage me and I would be less committed, making my lifts decrease even more. It was a viscious cycle.

I just took some time off to do what I wanted in the gym. No routines, just going to the gym when I want, doing the exercises I want. Lifting should be fun, and I am a firm believer in the theory that the best routine is the routine that you will actually do.

I did that and I regained my motivation to lift again. It was fun and I remembered why I liked doing it. Not everything's about numbers. I'm now doing Starr's 5x5 as well. I love it and I'm making great progress.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Occupational Hypnomania
    Every bodybuilder needs to bulk/cut; thats the only problem right, you dont want to do that?
    Real men cry over milk, whether its spilt or not.

So much good advice in here. Thanks alot guys. Jorge, I think what you added really hit the spot. Sorry if I missed any questions asked. I feel good now though.

Works for me...

All negative comments aside... When I "feel like I can't make it to the gym", I "don't feel like it", or I am "sick of eating tuna, chicken and ingesting protein powder", I watch this video. For me this works. Why? Who knows. (Especially since the individual in this video has been known to ingest more than supplements to get where he is - but that isn't the point.) I hold a special place for this video because, like you, I have been faced with quitting many times. For some reason, the music moves me, the sense of focus strikes me and I start looking in the mirror to see what I can do to get to my goal. Good luck and here is some advice for you:

The point is to find your motivation. We all have it. However, some have it hid better than others...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_wN6iugZtoM

Best,
    Andrew
    Last edited by ADT; 12-10-2006 at 12:39 PM.

i sometimes feel crappy before a work out and not want to do it, but never feel bad after one. I am sorry to hear you are having troubles. Keep your head up though just push through it you will get passed it.

I got into lifting about 5 years ago, but i've been lifting seriously for about 3.5 years and looking at the big picture I'm not happy with my results. I gained about 25 pounds since when I started getting serious (from about 160 - 184). I hear about people on here gaining half of that in a few months. Luckily my body fat is no higher than it was when I started, but I've thought about quitting because it doesn't look like I work as hard as I do. I don't think I'll ever be able to stop because I'm always so pumped on gym days to go work out. Even if the results are slow I rather see slow results than no results, but I'll keep working with my routine and diet until I see a rate of growth that I really am satisfied with. I say just stick with it.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    I got into lifting about 5 years ago, but i've been lifting seriously for about 3.5 years and looking at the big picture I'm not happy with my results. I gained about 25 pounds since when I started getting serious (from about 160 - 184). I hear about people on here gaining half of that in a few months. Luckily my body fat is no higher than it was when I started, but I've thought about quitting because it doesn't look like I work as hard as I do. I don't think I'll ever be able to stop because I'm always so pumped on gym days to go work out. Even if the results are slow I rather see slow results than no results, but I'll keep working with my routine and diet until I see a rate of growth that I really am satisfied with. I say just stick with it.
    If you gained 25 pounds of muscle with no added fat in 3.5 years, you are in damn good shape. I think most people overestimate their muscle gains and underestimate their fat gains. I see claims of 15lbs of muscle gained in one month... Nah, that's more than 3 pounds a week. Dream on, lol. You're on the right side of the curve.

Hey fellow lifter,

There's some good advice in this thread already and I hesitate to add more to the pile, but here's a thought or two I've had recently that may or may not be helpful to you.

I've been working hard on my latest bulk for 21 weeks now. Eating like a Viking and lifting like a gorilla. Although I've never met him, Mark Rippetoe is my new "best friend." I've made very good progress in both size and strength during this time, and can boast that I have not once skipped a workout or shirked a tough lift during this time. Friends and co-workers constantly remark on my progress. I'm sort of freaked out about it myself. A couple years ago I would never have imagined myself picking up such heavy objects off the floor.

But I've noticed the past ten days or so I've been tired. Very tired and worn out. Not sick or anything, just worn out. It seems to take much longer to recover from my workouts now and both my progress and my motivation are beginning to stall.

With the holidays coming up shortly and very few of my pants or shirts fitting over my butt and chest anymore it can be kinda depressing, depending on one's perspective. I try to look at it in the light of having added a crap load of weight to my squats and bench over the past five months, but at the same time my body is so fatigued that it's very hard to roll out of bed in the morning. I don't need to quit. I can't quit. Lifting makes me happy. Lifting gives me focus and direction. It's not just the endorphins, but the fact that I can set goals for self-improvement and work my ass off to get there. Personal accomplishment is one of life's greatest joys, easy to imagine and hard to achieve.

However, I really need a break, and I need some clothes that fit my new body.

My plan is to take it easy for the next few weeks, have fun with the kids during their winter break, work things a bit more slowly, perhaps a bit more lightly at the gym, and to just take my time. Of course I want to keep moving, but not necessarily in a focused and driven sort of way right now.

It's time to unwind, unstring the bow, so to speak. I don't want to lose my gains, but at the same time I don't want to stall out from fatigue or boredom either. Lassitude and apathy are more frightening to me than physical injury.

Sore elbows can be iced, but mental fatigue can grow like a wildfire if you don't deal with it and it can wreak real havoc on your determination. After Christmas I hope to be refreshed, rested, and ready to take stock of my position and set new goals. Do I need to cut? Do I need to bulk? Do I need a new routine? I'll think about these things while I'm wrapping gifts to put under the tree, but for now my focus is elsewhere.

The important thing to me, at least, is to do whatever it takes to keep my attitude positive, even if that means a short break from my routine.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Good luck.
    Last edited by beatlesfreak; 12-10-2006 at 07:10 PM.