Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Results 276 to 297 of 297

Thread: Our purpose as a whole

  1. #276
    Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kent Island, Maryland
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by betastas View Post
    Can you please specify the prophecies and when and how they took place, including references to scripture that is as close to the original as you can find?
    Thanks.
    On that subject, there has been plenty of prophecies that HAVEN'T come true.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

  2. #277
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by betastas View Post
    Can you please specify the prophecies and when and how they took place, including references to scripture that is as close to the original as you can find?
    Thanks.
    Here are a couple...

    Jesus would be silent before accusers
    Isa 53:7- He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

    Mat 27:12-14-And when he was accused of the chief priests and elders, he answered nothing. Then said Pilate unto him, Hearest thou not how many things they witness against thee? And he answered him to never a word; insomuch that the governor marvelled greatly.


    Wounded and bruised
    Isa 53:4-6- Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.


    1 Pet 2:21-25- For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously: Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

    Gall and vinegar offered Him
    Ps 69:21- They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.

    Mt 27:34-They gave him vinegar to drink mingled with gall: and when he had tasted thereof, he would not drink.

    His forsaken cry
    Ps 22:1- My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?


    Mt 27:46- And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

    Egypt would never again rule over other nations

    Ezekiel 29:15-It will be the lowliest of kingdoms and will never again exalt itself above the other nations. I will make it so weak that it will never again rule over the nations.

    In Ezekiel 29:15, the prophet says that Egypt would recover from a desolation but that it would never again rule over other nations. Up until the time of Ezekiel, Egypt had been a world power for centuries, dominating many nations, including Israel. But for most of the past 2500 years, Egypt has been controlled by foreign powers. Today, Egypt is an independent nation again. In 1948, 1967 and 1973, Egypt tried to dominate Israel but was unsuccessful each time, despite the fact that Egypt is 10 times larger than Israel. Since the time of Ezekiel, Egypt no longer rules over other nations.

  3. #278
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    On that subject, there has been plenty of prophecies that HAVEN'T come true.
    I'm curious about this so could you name some?

  4. #279
    Senior Member betastas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    951
    The problem I have with Biblical prophecies is that they are very general, specify little and the only real evidence to back them up are further religious scriptures.

    The one about Egypt never ruling over other nations is vague and general. If you think about it, another nation won't "rule" a second nation. If Egypt did succeed in occupying another nation, prophecy backers would say: "Well, they only occupy it, they don't rule it".

    I would be more inspired by prophecies about Jesus if he and those around him never had access to the old testament. Perhaps he read it (you know, the book of God) and said: "Oh, well this is what's expected of me."
    Self-fulfilling prophecies aren't very spectacular.

    That being said, all the biblical prophecies I have seen that have "come true" are too broad and general to have not come true during some time span. (Especially the enormous batch about Israel...)

  5. #280
    Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,808
    Peter and matthew were both written like 60 years after jesus was crucified so...
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

    Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

  6. #281
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    Peter and matthew were both written like 60 years after jesus was crucified so...
    Yes, that is true. The first verse I listed was the prediction and the second verse listed shows where the bible account of the event actually occurred.

  7. #282
    Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,808
    Yes, that is true. The first verse I listed was the prediction and the second verse listed shows where the bible account of the event actually occurred.
    The account written after the fact, if matthews account was from the time period itself, and they didn't have access to the old testament that prophecy might be a little more profound.


    T
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

    Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

  8. #283
    Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kent Island, Maryland
    Posts
    0
    To be honest.

    This thread has actually gotten me pretty depressed.

    Not trying to be dramatic but for the past week all I've been thinking about is the meaning of life and what I should do with my (short) time on this earth. I used to think living a good life/fun life is the most important thing.....but now that seems like such a waste.

    Its pretty weird actually. I've never thought about death like this...and I'm 19. I've lost my sense of direction.....
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 12-23-2006 at 09:46 AM.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

  9. #284
    Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kent Island, Maryland
    Posts
    0
    I was hoping this thread would come back up....but does anyone have any comforting advice? I just feel really lost right now.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

  10. #285
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    4,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    I was hoping this thread would come back up....but does anyone have any comforting advice? I just feel really lost right now.
    The impact you will make on the world will probably be very little. On that note, do everything you can to make other people smile and you'll find yourself feeling happier. Instead of making a small impact on a lot of people, try to make a big impact on a small group of people. Really try to help someone in need and you will feel more satisifed than you can imagine.
    Other than that, Don't think too hard? I got nothing

  11. #286
    Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kent Island, Maryland
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    The impact you will make on the world will probably be very little. On that note, do everything you can to make other people smile and you'll find yourself feeling happier. Instead of making a small impact on a lot of people, try to make a big impact on a small group of people. Really try to help someone in need and you will feel more satisifed than you can imagine.
    Other than that, Don't think too hard? I got nothing
    Well since I'm laying in bed all day I've been thinking alot.

    I really hope there is a god. I was watching the news how a little girl was brutally murdered. She deserves to go someplace where she will live the life that was stolen from her....

    It doesn't seem right for kings, murderers, popes and myself to all have the same fate.....
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

  12. #287
    Senior Member Levantar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    This can be a thread to talk about whatever. As long as it pertains to anything discussing about god, religion, evolution, adaptation, alien species, future world colonization etc.

    Basically. Lets discuss man's origins or better yet, where we'll end up. Do you think we'll end up meeting ET? Do you think we'll end up blowing up our own planet because we are that dumb of a species??

    Two rules. If you break either, I will find you in real life and smack you. You will get my thread closed, and then...I will smack you.

    1) Keep it civil. Even if someone has NO facts at all to support anything religion related then be mindful of them. God isnt something you can place in a beaker.
    2) Probably no theory is to outragous. There are some theories where our universe is one tiny molecule in the atom on some larger being's fingernail or something like that. Sounds crazy eh? But who gives a crap. Discuss damnit. And please dont post garbage, I'd like to have intellegent arguments, not something you found on youtube.

    I think.

    That in. 100 years, we will have already spored and started to colonize mars (if not sooner). I doubt we'll ever start to try and populate the moon since its always getting pummled by some kind of space rock.

    I also think that, since we have grown to such immense size we will probably cause our own doom. I'd also be willing to bet that different strains of bacteria/viruses will evolve on mars after we seed it. However, people on earth not being exposed to it could get infected and cause a global epedemic. Its really not that far-fetched. This is probably one of the reasons we havent spored mars already, but soon we'll probably become to desperate to wait any longer.
    I'm not flaming so I'm not breaking the rules here...just a question regarding your theory.....Would you suggest that we all avoid having children because ofwhat may happen to them in your theory? lol nice thread...your funny!

  13. #288
    Senior Member Levantar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    I take you didnt read my first point. Its people like you that will get my thread locked.

    My point was, that even though you cannot see or measure something, that doesnt mean it isnt true or it doesnt exist. Remember how crazy people were when they said the earth revolved around the sun years ago?

    "Absence of evidence does not mean evidence of absence"

    Take that quote to heart belial.

    P.S. Also. It was meant to give religious persons some breathing room from being ganged up on in these forums. It was to remind everyone to keep an open mind.

    P.P.S. Read the quote in my sig again. Its good. It doesnt give a one sided argument. It basically states that its pretty pointless to argue about because......its not something one could know about. Get it?
    WOW....do I sense some bitterness on your part of other opinions or someone else's use of humor?

  14. #289
    Senior Member Levantar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    Why are you posting in these forums?
    You're a moron.

    EDIT: You come in at the very end of the thread, with nothing constructive to say at all....you make stupid remarks and to top it off you are acting like I'm attacking belial. He is perfectly fine with my "bitterness". Its a discussion for a reason. Also, this post was ages ago. If you have a problem with having a debate then take it somewhere else. Stay out of my thread.


    This is a quote from you at the begining of this thread...

    "1) Keep it civil. Even if someone has NO facts at all to support anything religion related then be mindful of them."


    To answer your first question I post because I "wanttobebig" lol
    Last edited by Levantar; 12-25-2006 at 06:13 PM.

  15. #290
    Senior Member Levantar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    I would suggest that you do not have children, since it would be a crime against society for someone as stupid as you to procreate.
    Wow.....sorry bud. Is it cool with your religion for me to use contraception?

  16. #291
    Senior Member Levantar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    I think God will make a decision for someone like you.

    Unless you have something constructive to say, why keep talking? How would you like it if I started posting in your journal random crap?
    This is general chat thread. You should take your own advice.

  17. #292
    Senior Member Levantar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    377
    check your PM's

  18. #293
    More Cowbell
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Antonio TEXAS!
    Posts
    77
    It is irelevent to think about death becuase it is going to happen and there is nothing any of us can do to stop it. So enjoy the gift of life while you have it and when your tme comes it comes. I dont fear death I fear a boring life.

  19. #294
    Chillin' LivinItUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by SFTS View Post
    It is irelevent to think about death becuase it is going to happen and there is nothing any of us can do to stop it. So enjoy the gift of life while you have it and when your tme comes it comes. I dont fear death I fear a boring life.
    Part of enjoying your life to the fullest is understanding death the best you can and learning to accept it. Obviously for most it will always be an uncomfortable thing, it is for me.

    We should all have a fear of death to some extent, I don't think it's healthy to not fear it. It takes away the great gift of life that we have been given, and away from everyone you love. I think what you were trying to point out is we shouldn't waste away thinking about things that are inevitable too much, we should sieze the day and live. Also that you don't fear death, maybe you meant that you understand your time will come, and so you won't walk around scaring yourself about what might happen after. Maybe? Just my opinions.

    To a few above posters, sometimes making a positive impact on others won't always bring happiness. As a matter of fact I struggled with a lot of sadness from having it all be thrown in my face and cut off entirely from me. Though in my heart I know I only acted to help and be genuinely kind, eventually these things can catch up and hurt. I think this is why a lot of people can't show their true kindness and trust, they get hurt so bad that an iron skin is developed to keep this from happening. Another scenerio is the person acts out in anger from such hurt that he causes hurt on others(chain reaction) and from there branches endless events. But also, they make us stronger if you can allow it.

    Personally I've been a part of this all except for the "throwing kindness given and cutting them off" part. I don't think I could *ever do that. It's almost inhumane in my opinion.
    6'5"
    200lbs
    Bench - 270x5
    Squat - 350x5
    Bulking

  20. #295
    Waiting for weight! Powdered_Power's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dublin Ireland
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    I was hoping this thread would come back up....but does anyone have any comforting advice? I just feel really lost right now.
    Something inspiring I once heard Jordan:

    The ancient Greek gods used to envy us mortals, they used to envy us because we're mortal and everything in life is so much more beautiful in the knowledge that it will all end one day.

    So stop looking for some hidden meaning and live your life while you still can.

    ...I really hope I read that in an intelligent book but knowing me I probably heard it in Troy or something
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=87300
    21 yrs
    155 lbs 01/2/07 - 167 lbs 16/3/07 -169 lbs 20/4/07
    5'10 ft

    Bench: 120lbs
    DL: 160lbs
    Squat: 120lbs ON HOLD
    Total = 400lbs

  21. #296
    Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kent Island, Maryland
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Powdered_Power View Post
    Something inspiring I once heard Jordan:

    The ancient Greek gods used to envy us mortals, they used to envy us because we're mortal and everything in life is so much more beautiful in the knowledge that it will all end one day.

    So stop looking for some hidden meaning and live your life while you still can.

    ...I really hope I read that in an intelligent book but knowing me I probably heard it in Troy or something
    HEY!

    I liked troy....
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

  22. #297
    Senior Member betastas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    951
    Many people think there is a purpose to life and are more than willing to share it with you. Some of the more common ones include:

    - Devote life to "God"
    - Be a good person by helping others as you live
    - Invest yourself in humanity and create something positive

    Really, they all share a common theme of being kind to each other and promoting good in the world. Is that the purpose of life? I disagree.

    Based upon what I accept as truth for the origins of life on this planet, I think it is highly pretentious of us to assume that there is indeed a purpose that we must (should?) follow. It's even more pretentious for us to assume that we know what it is, for then we invoke the whole realm of concious design (and you know how I feel about complexity stemming from further complexity).

    Here's an interesting read:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purpose...tific_theories

    Perhaps our main purpose should be to exist as natural entropy-producing machines?

    I personally see it as an open ended question. There can be scientific answers to why we have life, the uses of life and the future of life, but it's essentially impossible to discern the definite meaning of life. I myself have been thinking about the purpose of life lately, and there's only one thing that I really need to do before I die: procreate. The only real reason that you exist as an individual is to pass on your genetic material to the next generation. Bleak? Only if you had ridiculously high expectations of mysticism before. But if you take life to be what it is and live like a regular person, you'll do fine.

    I'm going to have like 60 kids.

Similar Threads

  1. Attacks in London
    By Joe Black in forum General Chat
    Replies: 201
    Last Post: 07-30-2005, 02:47 AM
  2. Purpose of platfrom for st. leg deadlift?
    By Addam1125 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-29-2005, 12:08 PM
  3. Purpose for lifting: lift more or get big?
    By Collegekid in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 03-15-2005, 07:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •