Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: **Car Accident Help**

  1. #1
    On My Way..... rbar89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    448

    **Car Accident Help**

    So basically it wasn't anything of a major accident just a guy backed out into me (i'll get more into it in a second).

    The story is this:
    I was leaving my work (Nancy's Pizza) and driving down the exit onto the main road through the parking lot/aisle at the blockbuster. Now let my add that I've have done this hundreds of times considering I've been working at my job for a year and a half. Also let me add that this was a Friday night at the blockbuster so it was extremely busy and everything. Well I was driving down the aisle and this guy just backs out into the front right side of my car. So I called the police and my dad came too, and the guy that hit me had taken all the blame.

    So we decide to go through the insurance and so now the problem is this:
    His insurance says that 90% of it was his fault and 10% was mine because I could have swerved or honked my horn (even though I stated I had no time to do anything plus swerving would have resulted in another accident because it was a busy friday at blockbuster. Also they said the 10-15mph I said I was going may have been too fast. When the insurance lady interviewed me I said I wasn't sure but I was going slow and I said maybe 10-15. Now to some people that may seem fast but if you go try that It's much slower than you think. She also stretched the truth in the letter she wrote she said that I said I barely saw him so I didn't do anything to avoid the accident. What I really said was I barely saw him and didn't have time to do anything because he pulled out fast.
    So this is really making me mad because I'm 17 and I don't want this to go on my record and maybe my insurance go up, I'm not sure. Let me add that I think I'm a good driver and that I have never gotten in an accident before. I just think its rediculous that we should have to pay anything when it was clearly all his fault and he took the blame. So we told his insurance that we don't agree that 10% was my fault, so now we are hoping that our insurance can negotiate with theirs and get them to pay all of it. The total cost to repair it is $735. Not too bad but I feel I shouldn't have to take 10% of the cost and have it on my record either.

    So anyone have any advice or can add anything and anyone really know a lot about this stuff?
    Last edited by rbar89; 12-26-2006 at 01:26 PM.
    Age: 19 | height: 6'1''
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."

  2. #2
    II MrWebb78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Sac
    Posts
    5,954
    you called the police....is there a police accident report?

    if there is and it they say that it was the other drivers fault then his insurance doesn't have a leg to stand on and it is 100% his fault.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

    There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

    If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

    6'2"
    273 lbs.

  3. #3
    On My Way..... rbar89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    448
    The problem is the cop really didn't want to do it because he thought it was really minor and he wrote:

    "Unit #1 was backing up out of a parking stall at 208 N Randall Rd. (Blockbuster Video). Unit #2 was traveling East in the parking lot when the rear of Unit #1 struck the front passenger side bumper of Unit #2 causing minor damage."

    Thats all he wrote, nothing about the guy saying it was his fault, and he also didnt draw anything in the diagram space because he wrote "No diagram Vehicles Moved" although when he got there they weren't.
    Last edited by rbar89; 12-26-2006 at 01:37 PM.
    Age: 19 | height: 6'1''
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."

  4. #4
    Unremarkable Questor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by rbar89 View Post
    The problem is the cop really didn't want to do it because he thought it was really minor and he wrote:

    "Unit #1 was backing up out of a parking stall at 208 N Randall Rd. (Blockbuster Video). Unit #2 was traveling East in the parking lot when the rear of Unit #1 struck the front passenger side bumper of Unit #2 causing minor damage."

    Thats all he wrote, nothing about the guy saying it was his fault, and he also didnt draw anything in the diagram space because he wrote "No diagram Vehicles Moved" although when he got there they weren't.
    He said it was unit #1's fault. Those reports are very concise. "the rear of Unit #1 struck the front ... of #Unit 2"

    Had it been your fault, he would have said, "the front of Unit #2 struck the rear of Unit #1"

  5. #5
    Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kent Island, Maryland
    Posts
    0
    Cars suck like that.

    You should've tried to work something out without the insurance compainies. When it comes to that stuff and you are under 25 you dont get them involved. They will jack the prices up to high heaven. I also was in a minor fender bender. The guy was from another state. He left me all his information etc. etc. I gave him a call and we talked a little. Then I got an estimate on the damage repairs, sent him that quote and received a check in the mail for $400.

    Never heard from him again, insurance never found out. Fixed my car and everything worked out perfectly.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

  6. #6
    permanently bulking Titanium_Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    1,777
    I don't think that would have worked for me when a ****tard pulled out of a parking lot giving me no time to even think about avoiding T-boning him at 40mph, totalling my $11,000 car. On a lighter note, now I'm driving a 2007 even though I have no credit, because it sits well with an auto financing company when a $14,000 auto loan is paid off in 5 months.
    "I would have had sex with a pornstar, slapped a bitch and stole someone's dog." - deeder
    "Ever heard the term "screwing like rabbits? There's a reason it came about, and it has nothing to do with putting up drywall." - mrelwooddowd
    "If you are looking for a workout that will make you sore, you need to reassess your priorities, and perhaps look for an S&M club in your area." - Paul Stagg
    "I do encourage that people laugh at the fact I've put ass creme on my face." - Rock Steady
    "I look like a condom full of walnuts." - Risk10k
    "...the mothers would hang out of the window to get a piece of my little peanut ass and my bronzelike skin." - Rock

  7. #7
    On My Way..... rbar89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    Cars suck like that.

    You should've tried to work something out without the insurance compainies. When it comes to that stuff and you are under 25 you dont get them involved. They will jack the prices up to high heaven. I also was in a minor fender bender. The guy was from another state. He left me all his information etc. etc. I gave him a call and we talked a little. Then I got an estimate on the damage repairs, sent him that quote and received a check in the mail for $400.

    Never heard from him again, insurance never found out. Fixed my car and everything worked out perfectly.
    Ya I thought about that but the guy just kind of worried me a little, he just didn't seem trustworthy and I was worried that he may never pay me for it or something and who knows he may have said then that he would but then when I show him the bill for $735 he may say he didn't do $735 worth of damage and tell me to forget it. It just seemed like it wouldn't be a problem going through insurance since it was completely his fault, but now I wished we would have settled it ourselves.
    Age: 19 | height: 6'1''
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    4,548
    I may be in a similar situation. I went to go home from my girlfriend's place and some crazy lady backed into my car. Tail light is broken, bumper needs to be replaced, it's scratched and the door might be misaligned. I haven't sorted out the details yet (I'm waiting for them to call right now), but I'm sure I'll have to pay something. I wasn't even in the car when it happened

    Good luck to you!

    EDIT: I finished talking to my insurance. I don't have to pay anything
    Last edited by RedSpikeyThing; 12-27-2006 at 04:27 PM.

  9. #9
    mind/body zen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    386
    You have an agent right?
    Make your insurance company go to bat for you against the other person's insurance company. If they suck, they wont do it, and you should consider switching (I would tell them that too, in a polite way).

  10. #10
    As I Am Paul Stagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Baltimore, MD, USA
    Posts
    8,668
    Don't worry about it.

    In most states, your insurance company will record this as not at fault.

    I would also always go through your insurance company. You have to pay the deductible, but you'll get it back (again what state determines if you get the first dollar). The claims adjuster for the other company is taking advantage of you because you are young. Don't sign anything, just get your insurance company involved. You are paying them to take care of this.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

  11. #11
    el imposible ectx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    4,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post
    Don't worry about it.

    In most states, your insurance company will record this as not at fault.

    I would also always go through your insurance company. You have to pay the deductible, but you'll get it back (again what state determines if you get the first dollar). The claims adjuster for the other company is taking advantage of you because you are young. Don't sign anything, just get your insurance company involved. You are paying them to take care of this.
    100% agreed. I learned the hard way to trust my agent. I was young and claimed fault in an accident I had no fault in...the cops and insurance later determined this too. Bottom line, I would have saved myself a lot of trouble and worry had I called my agent first. After that, before I'd even call the cop I'd call my agent and he'd advise me on how to proceed. There are reasons you pay them. This is one of them.
    ecDoesIt

    "You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

    My latest (and only) WBB article.

  12. #12
    On My Way..... rbar89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by zen View Post
    You have an agent right?
    Make your insurance company go to bat for you against the other person's insurance company. If they suck, they wont do it, and you should consider switching (I would tell them that too, in a polite way).
    Well basically when we told his insurance agent we didn't agree that 10% of it was my fault. She said the only thing you can do is talk to your insurance about it so we did and now our insurance lady is going to interview the guy that hit me and negotiate with them to get them to pay all of it but she said 10% will probably still be my fault. So I'm really hoping my insurance fights it and doesn't just let them get away with it.
    Age: 19 | height: 6'1''
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."

Similar Threads

  1. car accident
    By briancurran01 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 04-08-2006, 10:17 PM
  2. Car Accident Pics
    By d'Anconia in forum General Chat
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 11-12-2005, 01:54 PM
  3. Dealership Plates, Car Accident and Non-USA driver
    By BilltheButcher in forum General Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-15-2005, 03:37 PM
  4. Involved in accident
    By bench_boy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2005, 06:06 AM
  5. Auto Accident
    By TBone4Eva in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 10:07 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •