The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Reverse Band Squat?

Here's my thinking anyhow....

When I did negative bench it really helped me with my max out power. So If I could really load up the bar and do "negatives" on squats that'd be sweet but no way in hell is anyone at my gym going to want to spot me with 500 + Pounds on my back, the wuss's don't like spotting a bench bigger then 225.

So if I rigged up a set of bands somehow that they would be slowing the weight down and even helping on the way up wouldn't that be the same thing as a negative bench? Would it be worthwhile to do?
    Last edited by WBBIRL; 12-10-2006 at 05:08 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Keep in mind that it would be similar to a lighter weight with bands pulling it down while at the top of the lift, and doing little at the bottom. Instead of using bands though, the weight on the bar would be heavier and the bands would be alleviating the weight.

personally, I don't think it would help that much. I would suggest trying different kinds of squats for a while, especially box squats if you don't already do them.

I want the biggest weight at the bottom with help on the way back up. So the purpose of the bands is to allow me to go down with 500+ and then get it back up because right now by myself I can't get 500 back up.

Well if you use two bands that produce 50 lbs of tension at the bottom of the rack, the only way they're going to help you back up is with them attached to the top of the rack. 500 - 2*50 = 400 lbs. It would be almost identical to having 400 lbs on the bar with the bands deloading at the bottom, and providing an addition 2*50 at the top. I don't see how the bands will help you get the weight up if you cant already do 400 out of the hole.

That being said, try it anyways - train with the bands pulling from the top and then try them pulling from the bottom.

Do you box squat?

Yes, I rather like box squats and for some reason I'm much stronger at them.

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.a...=37551&tid=101
    Its the only reverse band exercise picture I could find but there's a lot of them out there.

A lot of guys do reverse band work. Its just something different to rotate through the progression.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Reverse band lifts help you with your lockout since the band tension really helps you at the bottem but then its up to you to finish the top of the lift. Not something thats usefull too often but couldnt hurt to use every once in a while. I've heard people compare it to being like lifting equipped in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL View Post
    Here's my thinking anyhow....

When I did negative bench it really helped me with my max out power. So If I could really load up the bar and do "negatives" on squats that'd be sweet but no way in hell is anyone at my gym going to want to spot me with 500 + Pounds on my back, the wuss's don't like spotting a bench bigger then 225.
    You could get one person per side... hell, I've had two girls spotting me.

Mostly because I lift girlie weights. But also because they smell better than guys and are pretty.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

600+ is no girly weight big guy, but there aren't any chicks at my gym that are much better looking then the guys who go there. So I guess its really pointless... guess I'll just have to be a big boy about it and progress through my squats.

How about something like this?
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Deeder, those are only good for one rep at a time. Not bad and I like to use them on occassions but I'd prefer reverse band work if given the choice. I bought the weight releasers when I didn't have access to a power rack but only a squat rack.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield View Post
    Deeder, those are only good for one rep at a time. Not bad and I like to use them on occassions but I'd prefer reverse band work if given the choice. I bought the weight releasers when I didn't have access to a power rack but only a squat rack.
    Yeah fair enough. I can't really think of anything comparable that you could do with bands though..
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    You could get one person per side... hell, I've had two girls spotting me.

Mostly because I lift girlie weights. But also because they smell better than guys and are pretty.

I just spent 5 minutes trying to figure if you were calling yourself pretty.

I mean, I am, but that's not what I was saying in this particular case.

That said, reverse band squats are excellent even if you don't use equipment. I do like them for paused squats and the like... any wide stance squats has a significant stretch reflex contributing to the upward movement in the bottom third of the motion, but paused RB squats, even for a raw lifter, lets you work around that without having to use absurdly light weight. The load at the bottom is light enough that you can do a 3 second hold on 3 or 4 reps without having your intestines pop through your groin and end up in a puddle on the floor, but the power curve is such that you have to continue to press with significant, continued effort all through lockout. (This avoids one of my main issues with paused work, which is that the lockout tends to be extremely slow and relatively low-effort until you reach the point of complete failure)

Try them with that in mind and you'll like 'em.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results