The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

HEALTHY WEIGHT gain

i'm wondering how much weight is too much when puttin on lbs..cuz i;ve put on over 15 lbs in under 2 months, and im still puttin on weite, and at this rate that im goin in like 3 months i wll have put on over 40 lbs..n i dunno how healthy that is, especially if ur an athelte where u have to be quick (me being a basketball player, i've already noticed how my foot speed, agility and cardio is slippin)..??
    18 years old
    ball player
    6'8
    goal: 215 by march

late october 2006 weight: 191
    nov. 29, 2006 weight: 200

My journal http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86115

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I would say 40 pounds in 3 months is a hell of a lot of weight to put on. It doesn't sound healthy to me.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris686 View Post
    I would say 40 pounds in 3 months is a hell of a lot of weight to put on. It doesn't sound healthy to me.
    it's a little of 3 lbs/week. That's rather quick, which suggests a substantial fat gain. I would slow down to about 2 lbs/week.

As long as you are exercising and getting you're calories from good food, I would say it is possible to gain 2 lbs/week healthily.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    That's a ridiculous amount of weight gain. Slow it down or you'll quickly become a fatty.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

I don't get it, You eat alot, you eat HEALTHY(that's a must) you grow fast. Why does it have to be fat?

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    You can get morbidly obese eating healthy. You eat in excess of your maintenance in order to have enough calories for your body to use in the process of protein synthesis, which ensures the repairing of muscle tissue. Everyone's body is different, but you should only go over by a certain amount. Depends on how much muscle you want to gain. Anything that's not used will be stored as fat. The more you eat over your maintenance that you don't need, the more of a fatty you'll become. You can't just eat however much you want and expect to use it all. The body doesn't work like that. Why does it have to be fat? Because it has no other place to go. There is a limit for carb and protein storage. There is no limit for fat storage. You can keep getting fatter and fatter until you eventually die from it. Whatever you eat, no matter if it's junk food or healthy food, you have to watch yourself. You can't go overboard.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 12-10-2006 at 07:43 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Well, I gained 40 lbs in five months, so that's about 2lbs/week. I didn't gain a significant amount of fat but I think if I would have gained any faster than that it would have been too much.

You said you've gained 15 lbs in 2 months, and that 3 months from now you will have gained 40 lbs total? Well, that basically means you would have gained at the same rate I did. I don't see a problem with that, unless you're worried about a few stretch marks.

btw..aside from workin out, on average im spending over 2 hrs a day in the gym training for basketball or having games...and dats pretty much all running up and down, so its not like im juss puttin on weite without doing any other type of physical activity
    18 years old
    ball player
    6'8

Thats some impressive weight gain considering how much you play basketball...everyone is different...so you can moniter if you are gaining a lot of fat and if so then just take in less calories

lol, in my opinion im still skinny, i'm gonna change my dp to give u guys an idea of how i look, i also took pictures of how i looked in october, but im not ready to post those up yet, cuz im juss too damn skinny in them, ill post them in like march or sumthin to show the contrast..but ye, so basically i don't think i have a lot of fat on me
    Last edited by fury; 12-11-2006 at 09:28 AM.
    18 years old
    ball player
    6'8

so ye as u can see in my dp, im still prety thin, so i dun think i got alot of fat on me
    18 years old
    ball player
    6'8

I wouldn't worry about it too much. At a starting weight of 191lbs at 6'8'' I would imagine there is a LARGE potential for growth. Given that fact, I think your weight gain isn't unreasonable. If you feel like you're gaining too much fat, or getting too slow, just slow the weight gain down a bit.

But that weight gain isn't sustainable for much longer without gaining some considerable fat. I think you should be fine to continue at that rate until you hit 215, though.
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 12-11-2006 at 09:31 AM.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

i am feelin slower, but like only on the basketball court (cuz there every milisecond makes a difference, and i feel my footspeed slippin a bit) so im juss trying to do more cardio now, like yesterday i did 10 sets of stairs after my workout lol..lets juss say last summer this would of been a warm up for me, but this time round after the first 5 i really had to push myself
    18 years old
    ball player
    6'8

Quote Originally Posted by fury View Post
    so ye as u can see in my dp, im still prety thin, so i dun think i got alot of fat on me
    It's okay to try some spelling, capitalization, and punctuation every once in a while. Really. We won't mind.

But on topic, your weight gain doesn't seem like too much. I gained about 50 lbs in 7 months and while I did gain some fat, I had started from a quite low bodyfat percentage so the weight didn't make me appear fat at all - just "normal".
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle