The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

chest workout critique/ideas

Alright I'm looking for some feedback on my chest routine. I've been increasing on my flat bench and dumbell press, but I've been stuck on my same incline amount for months. I do chest 2 days a week right now. Here is my routine, let me know your opinions/ideas on how to improve incline, as well as if you think i should change anything I'm currently doing. Thanks in advance.

I currently do flat bench one day a week and I do dumbbell press my other chest day.

Flat bench I warm up with 135 x 10

1st set – 225 x 10

2nd set – 275 x 6

3rd set – 285 x 4

4th set – 295 x 3

5th set – 305 x 2

6th set – 315 x 2

Then I finish with a set of 225 x 10

For my dumbbell press:

I use 105 lb dumbbells. (Actually going to try 110’s this Sunday)

I do three sets of 10 with 105's, and as soon as I drop the dumbbells I do a set of 10 reps of 150lbs on flat bench (this is done after all 3 dumbbell sets). I follow my 3 sets with a burnout set of 150lbs x 20.

Those are my 2 chest days a week…

Every chest day, I follow one of the above with

incline bench:

225lbs for 3 sets of 10. (I've been stuck on 225 for approx. 3 months)

After my 3 sets of incline I will either do Decline bench or cable crosses.

Decline (gym just recently added decline bench about 2 months ago, so this has increased pretty easily for me)

1st set – 225 x 10

2nd set – 235 x 10

3rd set – 245 x 8
    6'3"

*on the shelf*

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by DeHartD View Post
    Alright I'm looking for some feedback on my chest routine. I've been increasing on my flat bench and dumbell press, but I've been stuck on my same incline amount for months. I do chest 2 days a week right now. Here is my routine, let me know your opinions/ideas on how to improve incline, as well as if you think i should change anything I'm currently doing. Thanks in advance.

I currently do flat bench one day a week and I do dumbbell press my other chest day.

Flat bench I warm up with 135 x 10

1st set – 225 x 10

2nd set – 275 x 6

3rd set – 285 x 4

4th set – 295 x 3

5th set – 305 x 2

6th set – 315 x 2

Then I finish with a set of 225 x 10

For my dumbbell press:

I use 105 lb dumbbells. (Actually going to try 110’s this Sunday)

I do three sets of 10 with 105's, and as soon as I drop the dumbbells I do a set of 10 reps of 150lbs on flat bench (this is done after all 3 dumbbell sets). I follow my 3 sets with a burnout set of 150lbs x 20.

Those are my 2 chest days a week…

Every chest day, I follow one of the above with

incline bench:

225lbs for 3 sets of 10. (I've been stuck on 225 for approx. 3 months)

After my 3 sets of incline I will either do Decline bench or cable crosses.

Decline (gym just recently added decline bench about 2 months ago, so this has increased pretty easily for me)

1st set – 225 x 10

2nd set – 235 x 10

3rd set – 245 x 8

Either do inclines first in your routine OR drop the burnout sets and 7th set of flat bench (225*10) Also give about five minutes rest between your flat and incline benches.

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    Either do inclines first in your routine OR drop the burnout sets and 7th set of flat bench (225*10) Also give about five minutes rest between your flat and incline benches.
    i'll try dropping the burnout sets this sunday and see what happens. Thanks.
    6'3"

*on the shelf*

stop doing 3 set of ten you need to shock your system
    Way down this road, in a gym far away, a young man was once heard to say, "I've repped high and I've repped low, No matter what I do my legs won't grow."

He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses, too. Trying to cheat these sissy workouts he'd do. From the corner of the gym where the big men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty fives. A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees.

Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack, Chalking his hands and monstrous back, Said "Boy stop lying and don't say you've forgotten, Trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN"

Well I took both of your tips and I had a fantastic day at the gym! I stepped up to 3 sets of 10 with 110lb dumbbells today and i left out the burnout set, then waited 5 min to start incline. I got 230 x 10 235 x 8 240 x 7. Then I did the same on decline. I was shocked I had such a good day, because i had a bad experience with tequila last night :-/. Again thanks for the tips, I guess I underestimated resting between sets.
    6'3"

*on the shelf*

Quote Originally Posted by DeHartD View Post
    Well I took both of your tips and I had a fantastic day at the gym! I stepped up to 3 sets of 10 with 110lb dumbbells today and i left out the burnout set, then waited 5 min to start incline. I got 230 x 10 235 x 8 240 x 7. Then I did the same on decline. I was shocked I had such a good day, because i had a bad experience with tequila last night :-/. Again thanks for the tips, I guess I underestimated resting between sets.

nice glad you saw some imporvements

hahah tequilla makes you take your clothes off!!! err....uhh ....did i say that?
    Way down this road, in a gym far away, a young man was once heard to say, "I've repped high and I've repped low, No matter what I do my legs won't grow."

He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses, too. Trying to cheat these sissy workouts he'd do. From the corner of the gym where the big men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty fives. A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees.

Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack, Chalking his hands and monstrous back, Said "Boy stop lying and don't say you've forgotten, Trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN"

Miller lite all the way!
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Quote Originally Posted by 8.8 View Post
    nice glad you saw some imporvements

hahah tequilla makes you take your clothes off!!! err....uhh ....did i say that?
    I was amazed i saw improvements on today of all days.

very crazy night indeed lol

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    Miller lite all the way!
    ya i had a couple of those too. It's my new recipe for success
    6'3"

*on the shelf*