The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Deadlift form critique video.

I haven't been Dead Lifting for a great deal of time, and thought i would video some of my lifts to check my form. Now, i have my own criticism here, but i wouldn't mind some input from a few of you guys, maybe some tips etc..

I'm pulling five reps of 130kg (285).

Thanks..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoLcu-OBmKo

Current PR's (updated 19th March.)

Bench: 325lbs/ 145kgs
    Dead: 395lbs/ 180kgs
    Squat: 370lbs/ 165kgs x 1 parallel.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Your hips are rising too fast. Keep your butt down. Also, keep your head up. Looking down will create a tendency for you to want to round your back. Puff your chest out. That will help also. Finally, keep the bar closer to your legs when pulling up. The bar is not very close to your legs which leads me to believe that the weight is on your toes rather than your heels where it should be. Think of pulling back and up at the same time, rather than just up. If you do these things you will be able to pull much more weight and it will be much safer for your lower back.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

IM and we'll set up a session man!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Your hips are rising too fast. Keep your butt down. Also, keep your head up. Looking down will create a tendency for you to want to round your back. Puff your chest out. That will help also. Finally, keep the bar closer to your legs when pulling up. The bar is not very close to your legs which leads me to believe that the weight is on your toes rather than your heels where it should be. Think of pulling back and up at the same time, rather than just up. If you do these things you will be able to pull much more weight and it will be much safer for your lower back.
    Good timing, I'm going to try my first deadlifts ever tonight and was looking for something like this!
    6'2"
    190lbs

Wannabebig Member
    Search youtube for other deadlift videos...I found hundreds. Alot of them are instructional....then again you get the video where the dude's nose starts bleeding in the middle of his second 792lbs deadlift.
    6'2"
    190lbs

I get bruises each week from the bar knocking my shins, but I still find that my weight is on my toes. I'm pretty sure people will say my hips come up too fast as well, but if I don't do that the bar will literally get stuck below my knees. I probably need to find some powerlifting person to instruct me.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefrog View Post
    I get bruises each week from the bar knocking my shins, but I still find that my weight is on my toes. I'm pretty sure people will say my hips come up too fast as well, but if I don't do that the bar will literally get stuck below my knees. I probably need to find some powerlifting person to instruct me.
    Sounds like you need to work on your squats and on your hamstrings, then!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Going on the same not as Sensei, watch your video again.. See how when you lift, your back actually becomes parallel to the floor before the weight even comes off the ground? That 90 degrees is putting the maximum amount of torque on your lower back and like Sensei said can be dangerous.

Edit: it becomes more noticable in the later reps
    Last edited by ViciousBish; 12-12-2006 at 07:06 PM.

Also, you're huge!!

You have no hip thrust... as the weight comes up and passes your knees your hips should thrust foward as your shoulders pull up and back for an explosive finish to the movement.

Keep going, you'll get stronger as long as you keep working at it.
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.

Exactly what i was looking for Guido. Thanks, my next Deads day is in a couple, so i will vid again and try what you suggest. Do you think 225 is a more suitable working weight for me?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    IM and we'll set up a session man!
    Sweet Risk, pm sent mate..

Quote Originally Posted by ViciousBish View Post
    Going on the same not as Sensei, watch your video again.. See how when you lift, your back actually becomes parallel to the floor before the weight even comes off the ground? That 90 degrees is putting the maximum amount of torque on your lower back and like Sensei said can be dangerous.

Edit: it becomes more noticable in the later reps
    Thanks for your input Vicious. Yep, i can notice that, i did also plan to work on that anyway, thanks for pointing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by ViciousBish View Post
    Also, you're huge!!
    Haha, not quite, but thanks anyway..

Quote Originally Posted by Workhorse View Post
    You have no hip thrust... as the weight comes up and passes your knees your hips should thrust foward as your shoulders pull up and back for an explosive finish to the movement.

Keep going, you'll get stronger as long as you keep working at it.
    Thanks mate, i will keep that in mind next session.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, any other suggestions i could use? :alcoholic :alcoholic

Looking ripped, man. I agree with what Guido suggested, especially about puffing the chest out. Try to keep your hips down more so your lower back isn't so stressed.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Quote Originally Posted by 1mmort4l View Post
    Exactly what i was looking for Guido. Thanks, my next Deads day is in a couple, so i will vid again and try what you suggest. Do you think 225 is a more suitable working weight for me?
    Cheers
    For the same number of reps? Yes. Another good thing to do is just to work your way up 25-50lbs or so at a time starting from very light weight just doing heavy singles or doubles. There will be less fatigue so you can spend more time perfecting your form. Also, you can lift heavier weights!

A progression for you might look like this:

2x135
    2x185
    1x225
    1x275
    1x295
    1x305
    1x315
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

For the same number of reps? Yes. Another good thing to do is just to work your way up 25-50lbs or so at a time starting from very light weight just doing heavy singles or doubles. There will be less fatigue so you can spend more time perfecting your form. Also, you can lift heavier weights!

A progression for you might look like this:

2x135
    2x185
    1x225
    1x275
    1x295
    1x305
    1x315
    Thanks again Guido. I thought i would try similar, but i was a bit out, oh well.

I did my workout today and it went like this:
    154 x 8
    245 x 5 Video
    265 x 2 Video
    285 x 2 Video Double over with sweaty palms and no chalked, slipped on the second...
    297 x 2 Stuffed up the video, so i had to keep doing these!
    297 x 2 GRRRRR didnt work...
    297 x 2 Finally..
    308 x 1 Video
    320 x 1 Video
    242 x 5
    154 x 5

I took some advice, and tried to put it to work, stuffed up still but a couple of reps with puffing my chest and pushing my heels into the ground (thanks guys.) felt ALOT better!

Here is the vid i put together, more help needed please...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4CohufP8qM
    Oh, the 308 and 320 aren't on this clip, but i can post them if needed.

Thanks again..

Cross trainer & DL addict mikesbytes's Avatar
    I have exactly the same problem, relative to the rest of me, I have a really strong back and my leg strength is based on Cycling - hill climbing and track sprinting, which means they are use to applying power when the are nearly straight.

Anyway, can't figure out how to get my bum low enough.

Occupational Hypnomania
    Could be your trying to jerk the weight up rather than pull it up when your starting, try losing more tension in your arms before starting see if that helps. Thats the only thing I can think of.
    Real men cry over milk, whether its spilt or not.

Form looked much better on the second vids. You did have a bit of slack in your arms on some and also you can do better at keeping your butt down and bringing your hips forward at the top, but overall it looked miles better than your first vid!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

I agree much better than the first video's.

This helped me, Deadlift article(link).
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle