Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Balls That Please by Maki Riddington - Dec 11th Dec 2006

Hybrid View

Small Balls That Please by Maki Riddington - Dec 11th Dec 2006

Maki shows you how to play with small balls that can release tension in the muscles. Learn how to apply self myofascial release to your body so you can lift more and recover faster!

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=285

Enjoy!

Daniel
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Very cool videos in this one

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

There are a number of mistakes in the article that will be fixed by tomorrow.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

PoutineEh
    anyone happen to do this. can they tell us about their experience?
    Last edited by PoutineEh; 12-12-2006 at 03:00 PM.

It'd be quite interesting to learn if anyone has gotten any "clear" benefits from it, such as an obvious increase in strength or a cured STD.

I've read a few weeks ago Eric Cressey's article about the foam rollers and now I read this; I'm getting really interested.

If I understand well, the muscles get "knots" and the body has no way to correct this?

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Is it just me or is this title really dirty? LOL... Great Article Maki.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Thunder View Post
    It'd be quite interesting to learn if anyone has gotten any "clear" benefits from it, such as an obvious increase in strength or a cured STD.

I've read a few weeks ago Eric Cressey's article about the foam rollers and now I read this; I'm getting really interested.

If I understand well, the muscles get "knots" and the body has no way to correct this?
    The basis for this type of work becomes very apparent when I show people first hand just how unhealthy their soft tissue is.

A perfect is example is the figure skaters I coach. They have an olympic coach who runs a flexibility class. They're nice and flexible yet their soft tissue in certain areas is horrible.

In terms of strength, think about this. If a muscle has a knot in it then in terms of its capability to contract optimally (produce force) would not the muscle be compromised?
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Lol.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Very dirty title!

1) Please use flash video!!!!! AVI is a pain all around. See t-nation for excellent video embedding inline in fitness articles. It should be pretty easy to do with youtube our google video.

2) Maki, how do the balls compare to a roller? I understand that they are much more intense. Geez, a roller is painful enough.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash View Post
    Very dirty title!

2) Maki, how do the balls compare to a roller? I understand that they are much more intense. Geez, a roller is painful enough.

The way I use them with clients is based on the health (I use the term "health" to describe how many tension knots they have in a muscle) of their soft tissue.

For example, if I'm working with a runner, generally their IT Band is really tight. Using a foam roller is just too much in the beggining as they won't relax and will end up tensing up which in turn won't allow them to get into the soft tissues. So I use a ball. I don't pump it up as much and which allows them more freedom of movement to move around and doesn't cause as much discomfort.

From there I pump the ball up some more and then move onto a foam roller once I feel they are able to relax their leg while they are rolling around.

For myself I use them on my traps which are extremely tight which is a result of grappling. I find that you can do some pretty neat stuff like gentle static stretches of a muscle and then moving the ball deeper into the muscle which really hurts!
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 12-13-2006 at 11:59 AM.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

So is a tennis ball more or less intense than the small balls? What are the advantages of rollers vs. small balls vs. tennis balls, other than intensity?

I'd like to incorporate this into my stretching routine, but I would like to avoid spending money if at all possible.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    So is a tennis ball more or less intense than the small balls? What are the advantages of rollers vs. small balls vs. tennis balls, other than intensity?

I'd like to incorporate this into my stretching routine, but I would like to avoid spending money if at all possible.
    For what it's worth, Cressey told me to do some work with a tennis ball.

Great article, Maki!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    For what it's worth, Cressey told me to do some work with a tennis ball.

Great article, Maki!
    Anthony+Cross Fit+Judo= Tennis ball
    Regular joe = Foam roller or small ball
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    A tennis ball is more intense then a small ball.

If you had a budget I'd opt for a foam roller. As I mentioned in the beggining of the article, I'm simply presenting another technique that can be used. There have been very good articles written on this subject already.

I believe they all have their place. For example, I use a small ball for my chest and traps. I use the tennis ball for my shoulders/TFL and glutes/piriformis and the foam roller for my lats and quads.

These are areas I need to work on and have found respond well to with these various tools.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington View Post
    I don't pump it up as much and which allows them more freedom of movement to around and doesn't cause as much discomfort.
    Ah, this is the critical idea! Hadn't thought of a partially inflated ball.

Very good. I will have to try this myself for my IT bands.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I just updated the article to correct some videos and descriptions.

Hey, I use a foam roller too.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Hey, I use a foam roller too.
    The topic is SMR not S&M.

Considering cost and effectiveness would the average Joe (ericg) get more out of the foam roller or the balls?
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by ericg View Post
    The topic is SMR not S&M.

Considering cost and effectiveness would the average Joe (ericg) get more out of the foam roller or the balls?
    Foam roller.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Best title for an article EVER. Can Ben Wa balls be used instead of small balls or tennis balls?
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Best title for an article EVER. Can Ben Wa balls be used instead of small balls or tennis balls?
    Gross, inappropriate, and exactly what I'd expect in response to the article's title.

I have no doubt Maki has extensive experience pleasing himself by playing with small balls.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 01-18-2007 at 09:36 PM.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Banned
    I am definately going to give this a shot. After doing any sort of back work, my traps are just murdered. I was looking at the foam rollers (student here) and there seem to be quite some variations in prices ($6 to $40+). Is there a difference? What would you suggest?

EDIT: Just did it with an old pill container (closest thing to a ball I could find). OH MY GOD IT HURT SO GOOD!! I think I'm just going to use a tennis ball or a golf ball.
    Last edited by RedSpikeyThing; 12-21-2006 at 01:04 PM.

Start with a tennis ball. Then if you feel you can get deeper into the muscle, use a golf ball. Like lifting, use a progressive system in the beggining.

In terms of difference between foam rollers. The more expensive ones usually have a pipe in the middle so they last longer and are more durable. Basically you're getting a better SMR workout with those ones. The regular ones will do just fine if you're on a budget.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Wannabebig Member
    I just gave it a go with a tennis ball on my back, and its feeling less tense, great !