Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One arm Barbell Snatch craziness.

Hybrid View

One arm Barbell Snatch craziness.

Saw this on Youtube, and i was amazed!
    The technique and strength involved here is incredible!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBH0fT2R21c

Current PR's (updated 19th March.)

Bench: 325lbs/ 145kgs
    Dead: 395lbs/ 180kgs
    Squat: 370lbs/ 165kgs x 1 parallel.

One-Arm Snatches rock. They are one of my favorite lifts. My current PR is 125 lbs (~57 kg), so I'm not too far off from that guy. His look near perfect, though.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

His form is great, nice find.

I've never seen those before. I almost pooped my pants.

I feel like doing these around the curl (and lateral raises) jockeys in my gym, and not putting any collars on the bar to scare them a little. Hell, they're already scared by dumbbell snatches.

Why I don't get is how hard is it to hold a barbell overhead? I used to do some static holds with 1 arm and had a lot of trouble maintaining the bar straigth, so I'd like to know if it's me who have weak wrists in that position or that somehow it's much easier to balance it in an overhead position?

Quote Originally Posted by Max Thunder View Post
    I feel like doing these around the curl (and lateral raises) jockeys in my gym, and not putting any collars on the bar to scare them a little. Hell, they're already scared by dumbbell snatches.

Why I don't get is how hard is it to hold a barbell overhead? I used to do some static holds with 1 arm and had a lot of trouble maintaining the bar straigth, so I'd like to know if it's me who have weak wrists in that position or that somehow it's much easier to balance it in an overhead position?
    Heh. I would not recommend trying this without collars.

That being said, I don't think it's that difficult holding the barbell even overhead. As long as you grip the bar right in the middle, there should not be too much problem. In fact, I find the barbell better for doing more weight than DB's.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Iron4Life
    Dang that was cool... and he did those 2 OH Squats with one arm and 60k over head after the snatch.

I gotta get my butt into the gym and practice these...

This isn't to dishearten you guys, but old time strongmen weighing under 150 pounds could OA over 160 pounds. 180 pounds was not uncommon. So don't get stuck in the mindset of low weights! You're bigger than those old timers doing 160! So get out there and more than then damnit!

Oh my god. I don't think my balance is anywhere near that good. If I tried that, I think someone would die.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by magicman531 View Post
    This isn't to dishearten you guys, but old time strongmen weighing under 150 pounds could OA over 160 pounds. 180 pounds was not uncommon. So don't get stuck in the mindset of low weights! You're bigger than those old timers doing 160! So get out there and more than then damnit!
    It takes a LOT of practice, years, to get those kind of numbers. Especially for guys under 150 lbs!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

Banned
    That is one crazy assed exercise! I wish I could even put that much weight over my head with two hands....

Yeah, the guy is pretty amazing IMO. He must have done snatch over a million times. Look at the way he nearly falls over backwards through the window, yet he is still composed and has a laugh.
    I will try one of these in a year...

Current PR's (updated 19th March.)

Bench: 325lbs/ 145kgs
    Dead: 395lbs/ 180kgs
    Squat: 370lbs/ 165kgs x 1 parallel.

Awesome vid!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

the most suicidally crazy lift ever?

I think so Bob!
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

It just looks crazy, but it's actually pretty safe. Safer than benching, actually.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

I've done a fair bit of snatching with a barbell. Some of the attempts can get pretty crazy, wobbling, hopping, and squirming around with a weight overhead. The barbell is easier than the dumbell once you get the form down. Until then it's quite a wild ride...

Wannabebig Member
    I filmed this, Max told me that afterwards he felt his cns was fried for days. He did alot of reps on both sides. He doesn't train these or anything. We always have little challenges around the gym and that day I asked him if he thought he could hit 80 kg one arm snatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Race Bannon View Post
    I filmed this, Max told me that afterwards he felt his cns was fried for days. He did alot of reps on both sides. He doesn't train these or anything. We always have little challenges around the gym and that day I asked him if he thought he could hit 80 kg one arm snatch.
    wow thats very impressive - he must train snatches though - good snatch form isnt somthing you just pick up
    Way down this road, in a gym far away, a young man was once heard to say, "I've repped high and I've repped low, No matter what I do my legs won't grow."

He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses, too. Trying to cheat these sissy workouts he'd do. From the corner of the gym where the big men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty fives. A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees.

Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack, Chalking his hands and monstrous back, Said "Boy stop lying and don't say you've forgotten, Trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN"

bone crusher
    that is cool as hell... dangerous but cool
    Last edited by the doc; 12-13-2006 at 09:58 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    I dont see how it is anymore dangerous than any other lift. W.ith abumpers and a platform its easy to abandon a bad lift

Max trains the olympic lifts. He finished 7th at the American Open at the beginning of the month in the 105 kg class. If USAW had their **** together and had updated rankings posted, I think he would be 11th or 12th in the nation, moving up from 25th last year. His best total is 318 kg.

Good to see others doing them. Watch your shoulders and be carefull lowering the weight down. Hurt my shoulder once trying not to drop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy Guy View Post
    Good to see others doing them. Watch your shoulders and be carefull lowering the weight down. Hurt my shoulder once trying not to drop it.
    My gym doesn't have bumper plates, so I feel your plight. You do have to be careful with the shoulders when letting the weight down.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

Sleepy, thats what the bumpers are for, just let the bar drop.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Without bumpers I wouldnt be doing BB snatch with one hand. That makes it tough to try for 1RM. I know its not the same but use DBs if you dont have any bumpers.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

I don't have any bumpers, nor do I have any problem lowering the weight. It's easy enough for me to just reach and grab the bar with my off hand and slide my working hand over.