The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help understanding something

Ok before I start I just want to say I am not one those guys that get caught up in accomplishments of others. I try to only worry about myself and improve as much as I can.

Everytime I go to the gym there is this guy that is there. He is the most huge and ripped dude i have ever seen. If I would have to guess his stats I would say 6'3- 6'4", 260-280 lbs and about 6-8% BF. I would imagine a ton of hard work would go into maintaining that physique let alone building it. But the thing is this guy is never working hard and hardly does any compound movements. He does a lot of cable work with light weight and not that many reps...the only compound work I ever saw him do was lat pull downs with a weight I would have a very easy time with for no more than 10 reps and leg press with 3 45's on each side for like 10 reps (there are girls that do that).

It is obvious he is on the juice, but what I don't get is even if he is on the juice how does one get that big w/o putting in much hard work at all. The only thing I can think of is maybe he busts his a$$ some other time when I am not there. If that is the case (which I don't see) then why would one waste their time with sets with light weight and not that many reps?

Another thing If I could work like he does and get that big and ripped, I would have the mentality that says if I work hard doing heavy compound movements and actually broke a sweat. Does steroids really make weightlifting this easy?

Like I said I am not being the crybaby saying "why can't I be as big as him" I try to only concern my results with myself. This is more of understanding why.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Getting big is very difficult.

Staying big isn't nearly as hard to do.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post
    Getting big is very difficult.

Staying big isn't nearly as hard to do.

Really...I always thought just to maintain it took hard work. If i would do his routine I am sure I would get weaker. But if so it still doesnt make sense to me considering the weight he uses I can very easily do if i chose to do those exercises.

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bics56 View Post
    Really...I always thought just to maintain it took hard work. If i would do his routine I am sure I would get weaker. But if so it still doesnt make sense to me considering the weight he uses I can very easily do if i chose to do those exercises.
    I wouldnt say staying big is a cake walk.....like you cant be HUGE and expect to be able to sit around all day eating twinkies and expect to always stay in that shape.

However, its not nearly as hard to stay big as it is to get big. Simply because you dont have to train as hard (not trying to build muscle). You also get more breathing room in other areas that you otherwise would have to be perfect in (diet).

EDIT: The kid worked his butt off to be that big steroids are not. I think he may be recovering from injury, an illness or he may just be going through some life crisis. I'd ask him, tell him you really admire him and you're curious as to what routine he does. I'm sure he'd like the compliment and if not then atleast he'll give you some sort of answer.
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 12-13-2006 at 08:31 AM.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Maybe he's there for active recovery.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

^^
    That's what I was thinking. I go to a cleaner and larger gym on campus that has pretty ladies instead of sweaty men when I do my active recovery.

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by betastas View Post
    ^^
    That's what I was thinking. I go to a cleaner and larger gym on campus that has pretty ladies instead of sweaty men when I do my active recovery.
    I do lazy recovery. I sit on my ass for a week eating maitanence while being pissed off that I can't workout.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Or maybe he does two workout's a day and he does his heavy compound lifts in the morning when you aren't around.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

I never thought of the injury recovery, which is what it could be. It would have to be a total body injury considering he trains everything with very little effort. But I still think it is not the case...I guess it will just be a mystery.

Jordon, I actually thought of that. But I have a flaw of never sugar coating what I say. I would really want to ask him how do you get as big as you are with doing hardly any compund work while using weight that is less that what i would use. I then would procede to ask him what does he put into his body to produce those results. I am sure he would get offended even though I am not trying to be insulting. And I am sure he would lie and say it is all natural or just take some supplements that do not include steroids since most people are either ashamed the take steroids or do not want to get into trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Or maybe he does two workout's a day and he does his heavy compound lifts in the morning when you aren't around.
    I think this may be the only thing that makes sense to me...but why would he do leg presses with a whopping 3 45's on each side or lat pulldowns with weight I could easily do.

It just goes against everything I have learned to make sense to me.

Big guys don't always know what they're doing.

I never thought of the injury recovery, which is what it could be. It would have to be a total body injury considering he trains everything with very little effort. But I still think it is not the case...I guess it will just be a mystery.
    Active recovery isn't just for injuries ... it can be used to help muscles recover from a hard workout. So it's very possible he's hitting things hard in the morning and then coming back at night to increase blood flow, practise form, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Active recovery isn't just for injuries ... it can be used to help muscles recover from a hard workout. So it's very possible he's hitting things hard in the morning and then coming back at night to increase blood flow, practise form, whatever.

That makes sense then...would one do active recovery for hours at a time?

That makes sense then...would one do active recovery for hours at a time?
    I can think of a few situations where "yes" would be the answer ... playing a sport, going to the beach to swim, etc.

But as for 2+ hours of active recovery in the gym ... I personally wouldn't be doing that.

Banned
    A combination of being an athlete and having good genetics could make that guy huge. I know I'd be pretty tired to hit the wieghts hard if I was playing, say, hockey every day.

mind-muscle

If you've mastered the mind muscle connection, you can lift with a fraction of the weight and feel as though you've maxed out.

Quote Originally Posted by AzBboy View Post
    If you've mastered the mind muscle connection, you can lift with a fraction of the weight and feel as though you've maxed out.

or maybe hes a genetic freak with a ton of muscle. gorillas eat bananas and dont exercise and theyre huge.
    to sculpt you must first have concrete
    You are only as stong as your weakest joint

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    What in the world are you talking about?
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    What in the world are you talking about?
    It's basically an ego-free effective way of training. You don't care whats on the bar, your a BODYBUILDER, not a POWERLIFTER. It focuses more on quality of contraction, really tensing and squeezing, deeply focusing on the muscles working, rather than the amount of weight moving. I first read about it from ifbb pro milos sarcev, I don't train this way, but I'm noting it cus perhaps thats how this fella trains, quality over quantity.

It's basically an ego-free effective way of training. You don't care whats on the bar, your a BODYBUILDER, not a POWERLIFTER. It focuses more on quality of contraction, really tensing and squeezing, deeply focusing on the muscles working, rather than the amount of weight moving. I first read about it from ifbb pro milos sarcev, I don't train this way, but I'm noting it cus perhaps thats how this fella trains, quality over quantity.
    I personally just sit there and envision getting bigger while I curl 12 ounce cans of miller lite.

11 ounce.

10 ounce.

9 ounce.

After a few cases...uh... sets, I realize what an idiotic theory this is and pass out.

I usually work out the next day.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    I personally just sit there and envision getting bigger while I curl 12 ounce cans of miller lite.
    Jesus, at least drink MGD. Have you no shame?

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

theres always weird people at the gym, just get used to it. tiny people lifting huge weight with proper form, huge people lifting tiny weight with terrible form, etc, the world is full of different people.
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar

No matter what training you do, it should be "ego-free". The saying goes "Leave your ego at the door." If you let your ego get in the way, you could end up injuring yourself.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 12-14-2006 at 01:25 AM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Don't mess with the High Life, or the High Life will mess with you.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle