The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Injury/Bulk

Injury/Bulk

This is a perplexing subject. I had knee surgery (scope) and I cannot do any cardio for about another month. It's been 1 month and I decided to screw it. I've always been fairly lean but I do an occasional bulk, my point is this, I decided to bulk, I've put on 10 lbs (not all muscle but a good portion of it is) and and am shooting for 10 more! I can't do legs at all. Thoughts on this... is it a good idea? All my lifts have gone through the roof because I eat all the time! Feedback would be nice.
    "What we do in this life echoes in eternity!"
    Maximus

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    You shouldn't ever say "screw it". Let yourself heal. I'm serious. And if you're just working out your upper body, you're going to end up looking quite disproportionate, depending on how much you gain. It's up to you decide what you want to look like.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Lift. It'll take awhile to become disproportionate. Do what you can, if it's upper body go nuts.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

I have exactly the same problem. I had a arthroscopy/menisectomyandm cant work my legs for a while. I still train my upper body. Cant wait to get back to my legs.I think i will enjoy it more than ever.
    Train,train hard.Eat,eat lots and sleep even more.

What's with everyone being so damn unhealthy!?!?

To all you suckers who can't squat:

I win
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Well... I was so excited when I had the surgery because I didn't want to lift legs anymore... I don't see them as being an intricle part of a workout routine... I mean, shoot, everyone only sees your upper body anyway when you take your shirt off... so Who Cares about legs??????!!!!!!
    Maximus

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    ^^

Haha!

You're joking, right?
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

I hope your joking.

If you followed my workouts over hte last little while you'll see that I too have had surgery very recently and for months before that I have been unable to lift with my legs. Do an upper body routine, with only stretching on your knee until most of your flexion is back, I then started doing BW squats with an ab ball behind my back, today Im going to be doing these with a single leg. Next week, or even later this week, Im hoping to be able to do a BW full-squat. After I can do those without pain Ill do the bar, and slowly add weight until all the strength is built back up.

Dont rush it, but dont say screw it either. If you dont rehab it properly you will be in worse shape then you were going into the surgery!
    Stats:
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Knight View Post
    Well... I was so excited when I had the surgery because I didn't want to lift legs anymore... I don't see them as being an intricle part of a workout routine... I mean, shoot, everyone only sees your upper body anyway when you take your shirt off... so Who Cares about legs??????!!!!!!

That's cute.

Yeah Yeah, sarcasm is a killer, seriously though, I'm running into a problem because I've compesated so much w/ the other leg that I'm getting pain. I feel like it's gonna be a long recovery but well worth it. I'm gonna continue w/ the bulk, like I said my lifts are going through the roof, plus as soon as the full rehab starts I feel like I'll lose weight anyway, why not take advantage of a good bulk?
    Maximus

btw, I don't post much but I know my stuff and of course I'm joking... just for those who don't catch my sarcasm.
    Maximus