The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DOC

Need 1RM Bench Increase...

I've been training for my Dept of Corrections test for 2-3 months now and I have increased my 1RM bench from 185 to 210. But I need to bench 96% of my 250 lbs. which is 240 lbs. Any help? I am currently doing 150x4 - 180x3 - 180x3 then I go and try 205-210 for one rep. I can usually get it.
    Also, I just found out the test is on a Smith Machine..... Do I shift and train on the Smith Machine? Stay with free weights? I usually combine flys and dumbell bench with my bench. Any programs?

I am currently taking a GNC thermogenic and JUST started taking protein again at about 60 grams per day.

ANY help would be appreciatted. Thanks all.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    When you say "taking protein" do you mean as a supplement to your already calculated diet? You should be eating anywhere between 250 and 500 grams of protein per day. Are you?

I'm not sure what you should train on, but I suggest a 5x5 method on bench. Also, don't test your 1RM every training session.

next-tyson-but-white arnoldsclone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbardPT View Post
    I've been training for my Dept of Corrections test for 2-3 months now and I have increased my 1RM bench from 185 to 210. But I need to bench 96% of my 250 lbs. which is 240 lbs. Any help? I am currently doing 150x4 - 180x3 - 180x3 then I go and try 205-210 for one rep. I can usually get it.
    Also, I just found out the test is on a Smith Machine..... Do I shift and train on the Smith Machine? Stay with free weights? I usually combine flys and dumbell bench with my bench. Any programs?

I am currently taking a GNC thermogenic and JUST started taking protein again at about 60 grams per day.

ANY help would be appreciatted. Thanks all.
    just do what i tell you and you'll get far, if you follow this to a t
    go buy these- ce2 creatine, or creakic(i'm gonna get flamed but i love this stuff, and it makes you stronger)
    gnc pro pefromance whey protein, 2 5lb tubs
    skim milk to mix with the protein
    determination
    intensity
    groceries
    multivitamin
    fish oil capsules
    some type of arginine supplement ie nox9 by muscletech(flamed again but it does increase your strength)

here's a taste of my life,

here's how your day will go= wake up(after 8 hrs of sleep), take creatine 2 pills in the am w/ multivitamin, fish oil, 4 nox9 pills,half an hour later have a 30 gram shake made with the skim milk you bought, have 4 egg whites and 2 of the yolks, have 2 pieces whole wheat toast. 3 hours later have a 300 calorie snack like a 20 gram protein shake and a peanut butter and whole grain bread snadwich. 3 hours later is lunch eat a 500 calorie meal i e a whole wheat sandwich loaded with lean meat, wash the sandwhich down with a shake at 20 grams of protein. 3 hours later have a protein shake at 30 grams of protein, and another peanut butter sandwhich(300 cals again).half an hour later take 4 more nox9 or other arginine pills, and take 2 more creatine pills and hit the gym for a couple hours (i'll get to the workout). as soon as you stop working out eat a 600 calorie meal, ie some green veggies, some fast digesting carbs ie white rice, white bread, soda(only during or right after you work out for the soda) and also have a large portion of red meat or fish or poultry and wash it down with whey protein at 30 grams. then before you sleep have a small meal 100-200 cals like a banana and a 30 gram protein shake, wake up after 8 hrs of sleep again and repeat. take one day a week to eat and do what you want but be resonable.

the workout= do day 1 then day 2 then day 3 is off then repeat
    box for 15 minutes to get warmed up to lift( heavy bag)

day 1- flat barbell bench 5 sets 5 reps
    squats 5 sets 5 reps
    pull ups 5 sets 5 reps
    shrugs 5 by 5

day 2- deadlifts 5 by 5
    dips 5 by 5
    military press 5 by 5
    barbell row 5 by 5
    run on a treadmill for 15 minutes at high speed intervals, jog at 6 miles per hour for 2 minutes, then run flat out(probably 9 miles per hour, depends on your running shape though) for 30 seconds to a minute. then walk for 5 mins to cool down.

i know this is lengthly as far as posts go sorry guys. this is my formula for gaining strength at an alarming rate, and dropping weight at the same time at an alarming rate which= what this man is trying to accomplish.
    good luck, hopefully you can drop 10-20lbs and gain a good 50 lbs on your bench 1rm and do well in the test you're going up against. follow this to a t and you will suceed.
    also yes use the smith if that's what they use.......
    Last edited by arnoldsclone; 12-07-2006 at 03:54 PM.

Ahnold says, " milk is for babies!"
    "deadlift if you know"- myself
    Boxing/ working out 5 days a week!
    6'1"- 230lbs-and bulking till i can't stand the mirror
    Former fatass- whent from 302lbs to 207 lbs rippling 05-06
    bench 315
    deadlift 455
    squat 405
    big 3 total = 1175 lbs of RAW IRON!!!MUAHAHAHAHAHA

In my case, my bench only increases when my bodyweight does.

Banned
    So you need to put 30 lbs on your bench in 3 months? That shouldn't be too bad. 10 lbs / month = 5 lbs/2weeks. Very doable. I would suggest that you take a Westside-ish approach and test your bench 1 RM a month from now.

I find it odd that you are required to do the test on a smith machine. Since the movement is quite different, I would suggest either training on it or see if you can get the test changed to free weights. Although a Smith machine is not ideal, it would be best to get used to that movement.

Quote Originally Posted by HubbardPT View Post
    I am currently doing 150x4 - 180x3 - 180x3 then I go and try 205-210 for one rep. I can usually get it.
    That's not enough volume to make the strength gains you're aiming for. That's 11 reps total. You might want to consider a 5 x 5, 4 x 8 or something similar. And I'll tell you that you'll need to work your ass off to make a 30lb increase in 3 months.

Edited: I just saw that you need to do 96% of your 250lbs.......couldn't you lose 10 or 20lbs? If you were 230lbs, you'd only need to press 220lbs. Just a thought.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    That's not enough volume to make the strength gains you're aiming for. That's 11 reps total. You might want to consider a 5 x 5, 4 x 8 or something similar. And I'll tell you that you'll need to work your ass off to make a 30lb increase in 3 months.

Edited: I just saw that you need to do 96% of your 250lbs.......couldn't you lose 10 or 20lbs? If you were 230lbs, you'd only need to press 220lbs. Just a thought.
    You don't need high volume to get 1RM strength gains. Look at the Westside template: the max. effort day is often less than 10 reps.

Banned
    work on your form, develop an arch in your back if you dont have on eyet, that wil add some pounds to your bench press.

Its a smith machine, I wouldn't be surprised if you could hit your 240 goal tomorrow. Take a day or two off, do a 1rm on a smith. I guarantee your numbers will go up.

How long do you have till you are required to test your 1rm? If you have a month or more, I would recommend rippetoe's starting strength: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=712752

That program will get your numbers up within probably 6 weeks + (dependent on diet and lifestyle of course). If you dont have that kind of time, I would suggest some heavy singles, doubles, and triples, and then deload before the 1rm lift.

Yeah if you can get 210 on free weights, you're probably very close to 240 on the Smith. Just make sure you're eating enough and don't max out every week. I would train on the Smith for about a month or two before the test and then go back to free weights. 5x5 would be a fine program to do.

Quote Originally Posted by arnoldsclone View Post
    go buy these- ce2 creatine, or creakic(i'm gonna get flamed but i love this stuff, and it makes you stronger)

determination
    intensity
    groceries
    multivitamin
    fish oil capsules
    some type of arginine supplement ie nox9 by muscletech(flamed again but it does increase your strength)
    Dude stop giving advice.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    determination
    intensity
    groceries
    multivitamin
    fish oil capsules
    With the exception of determination, intensity, and groceries, none of that stuff is needed. And NO, creatine and arginine does not make you stronger. YOU make you stronger and you do that by lifting heavy weights and eating lots.

To the OP. If the test is on the Smith machine train on the Smith machine. I would say once you get used to the movement you'll probably be able to add about 20 lbs to what you can do on free weights.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 12-08-2006 at 04:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    With the exception of determination, intensity, and groceries, none of that stuff is needed. And NO, creatine and arginine does not make you stronger. YOU make you stronger and you do that by lifting heavy weights and eating lots.

To the OP. If the test is on the Smith machine train on the Smith machine. I would say once you get used to the movement you'll probably be able to add about 20 lbs to what you can do on free weights.
    bs and more bs, creatine is provent o increase your strength by as much as 10% that's fact, it helps you perform more work period. and arginine supps do make you stronger while you're on them that's also been proven period.

bench 315
    deadlift 455
    squat 405

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    Dude stop giving advice.
    you think if he followed what i told him he wouldn't see gains in strength or weight loss? how is this bad advice??

bench 315
    deadlift 455
    squat 405

Banned
    bs and more bs, creatine is provent o increase your strength by as much as 10% that's fact, it helps you perform more work period. and arginine supps do make you stronger while you're on them that's also been proven period.
    I was under the impression that:
    Creatine incraeses ATP reuptake. This increases the number of reps you can perform at given weight, but does not directly increase your maximal strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior
    Dude stop giving advice.
    A little, hars.....maybe less advice.
    Last edited by RedSpikeyThing; 12-08-2006 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    I was under the impression that:
    Creatine incraeses ATP reuptake. This increases the number of reps you can perform at given weight, but does not directly increase your maximal strength.

A little, hars.....maybe less advice.
    well where's the bad advice, educate me then........

bench 315
    deadlift 455
    squat 405

Banned
    well where's the bad advice, educate me then........
    Quote Originally Posted by www.creatinemonohydrate.net
    Firstly, creatine supplementation will not greatly alter the absolute amount of ATP stored within your muscles. This means that creatine supplementation will not increase the peak amount of force you can generate
    Check out the website.

I would love the addition of a "source" function. In order to post an outrageous claim you are required to include a source.

Read this -------------->> pipes's Avatar
    I know I can do at least 50lbs more on a smith machine as opposed to free weight. I'm sure you should be pretty close to 240lbs. Give it a try.
    5'11" 220lbs.

BENCH - 330 x 1
    SQUAT - 405 x 1
    DEADLIFT - 450 x 1

"Whenever you do a thing, act as if all the world were watching." -- T.J.
    "Every success is built on the ability to do better than good enough." -- Unknown

... blah... blah... blah...

also yes use the smith if that's what they use.......

You certainly are Arnold's clone, as far as linguistic ability using the english language. But to be fair to Arnold, he did improve.

where is it proven that creatine will increase you strength by 10%? nowhere. oh yeah thats right, you purchase muscle tech and beleive themuscle tech adds, nevermind.
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

Quote Originally Posted by Natetaco View Post
    where is it proven that creatine will increase you strength by 10%? nowhere. oh yeah thats right, you purchase muscle tech and beleive themuscle tech adds, nevermind.
    It says so right here. Surely the company wouldn't lie?

http://www.muscletech.com/PRODUCTS/C...ELL_Tech.shtml

Yea.. but did you see their moving bar graphs! teh pwnage.

here ya go,
    "In 10-12 week long studies, larger increases in Type I, IIA, and IIAB muscle fiber cross-sectional areas [36] and greater gains in strength [35, 36] were reported after weight training and creatine supplementation compared to weight training alone. Creatine supplementation enhances fat-free mass, physical performance, and muscle morphology in response to resistance exercise. These improvements are speculated to be the result of higher quality training sessions, given the greater intensity and workloads performed by the creatine groups."

hmmmmm

http://www.leanbodies.net/articles/f.../creatine.html

bench 315
    deadlift 455
    squat 405

here ya go,
    "In 10-12 week long studies, larger increases in Type I, IIA, and IIAB muscle fiber cross-sectional areas [36] and greater gains in strength [35, 36] were reported after weight training and creatine supplementation compared to weight training alone. Creatine supplementation enhances fat-free mass, physical performance, and muscle morphology in response to resistance exercise. These improvements are speculated to be the result of higher quality training sessions, given the greater intensity and workloads performed by the creatine groups."

hmmmmm

http://www.leanbodies.net/articles/f.../creatine.html

yes it may improve intensity but it will not make you stronger, only you can, like someone else quotes.

"Unfortunately, research studies have not consistently reported that creatine supplementation improves performance"

thats from your little article.

and arginine doesnt make you stronger either, it may increase bloodflow but doesnt make you stronger
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1