Thread: Can I replace BB benchpress with DB benchpress

Can I replace BB benchpress with DB benchpress

Hi people again,
    For the last 30 days, I am still stuck with 135lbs BB benchpress and I hate doing it. On the other hand I have risen from 80 lbs DB (40 each) to 110 lbs. I find DB benchpress more satisfying. I am planing to strike BB benchpress out of my schedule,,, am I planning for a big LOSS???
    I do 3 sets each to failure of DB benchpress, incline , decline benchpress and flyes. Is this overtraining???

Thanks

First off if you can only bench 135lbs how the hell are you using 110lb dumb bells ?

now to ansewer your question yes you can remove benching from your routine. Many poeple here including me DB press instead of benching.

I don't think you should be doing 9 sets of benching to failure. You should cut out the inclines or declines.

Originally posted by millertime
    First off if you can only bench 135lbs how the hell are you using 110lb dumb bells ?
    He is adding the two together. So he does 55lb dumbells.

I think you should do what you prefer, but also realize that for the most part the two don't interact well. Meaning, at least for me, if you have a strong dumbell press it won't always mean that when you go back to doing barbell presses that your barbell press will be strong as well.

Originally posted by syntekz
    He is adding the two together. So he does 55lb dumbells.
    ahhh that makes more sense.

white trash goes north WilliamX's Avatar
    I remember one time my barbell was stuck at 135 for a while too. Then I got pissed and loaded 155 on it and the fukking thing pinned me to the bench, i couldnt lift it up and it was on an early Monday morning and there was noone around to help me out.

Since then i developed a BB phobia and started doing DBs. Went up from 40s to 70s in about a month - loved it! Then went back to BB benching and it went up to about 200 next month, maybe because I found a spotter.
    ogrish.com

Pocket Canuck
    I think it would be better to use both DB & BB for chest development. Mixing things up is one of the best ways to see constant improvements. Stick to one or the other for up to six weeks and then switch it up.
    --- Sheik ---
    Age-31
    Height - 5'6"
    Weight - 185ish

Don't be one of those people who is self conscious about how little they can bench. You probably think you look better with dumbells because people don't say o he is just doing 135 etc... Practice the bench, suck it up and get better at it. Throw in dumbells once in a while too though.

I'd mix it up, Barbell Press is one of the basic mass exercises but to me using dumbells just feels better. I think you have more control and can get a better stretch with dumbells. For one routine I would use dumbells and say in a month or two when you switch up go back to barbell. i guarentee your weight will go up.
    "Plan for difficulty when it is still easy, do the great when it is still small."
    -Tao Te Ching

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."
    -Confucius

Got trapped under the bench? Happens to me a lot when no on eis around. Just tilt the bar from side to side and dump the weight, whats scary about that?

Or roll it down to the stomach and sit up. Most I've done that with (just to practice) is 275. It didn't crack anything or blow out my intestines, so it should be fairly safe at half that weight. Just something else to keep in mind for you guys. If you're lifting heavy, dumping the weight can REALLY screw up your shoulders unless you're prepared for the sudden weight shift. But yeah, that beats dying.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I never use collars when benching. It does not hurt your shoulders dumping weight though. It does not take much of an angle to dump the weight.

clueless wonder
    I usually have problems getting into the starting position for DB presses... I don't do that much weight, but I stick to BB presses most of the time just b/c of that...

Originally posted by TreeTrunks
    I never use collars when benching. It does not hurt your shoulders dumping weight though. It does not take much of an angle to dump the weight.
    I say it from experience. The one time I did it, all the weights got dumped off one side, and then the bar rebounded to the other side. It caught my shoulder at a bad angle, and it hurt for a few weeks. That can't be a good thing.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Originally posted by TreeTrunks
    Got trapped under the bench? Happens to me a lot when no on eis around. Just tilt the bar from side to side and dump the weight, whats scary about that?
    It sucks so bad getting trapped under BB doing bench, got stuck w/ 260 lbs before on my 8th rep, so I had nothing left in me to push it off my chest. I just had to tilt it to the side lay one side on the ground and lay the bar up against the bench and slide out from the other side. Didn't injure anything, but scraped the hell out of my chest pushing the bar over to the side.

I guess i've just been lucky that I haven't injured myself dumping the weight. *knocks on wood*

Originally posted by vpy
    I usually have problems getting into the starting position for DB presses... I don't do that much weight, but I stick to BB presses most of the time just b/c of that...
    **If you are doing incline or shoulder presses**
    Use your knee/legs to throw the weight up onto your shoulders....

white trash goes north WilliamX's Avatar
    I read about that guy on this funny stories website - it's probably true since it was even posted by somebody who doesnt work out.

From what I figured he was saying That guy(his friend) was doing DB pullover - is that what its called - its for the chest when you lie down on a bench with your arms extended beihind your head and you hold a DB and you lift it up then. ANd I remember when I do it I lie down, put the Db on my stomach and then grab it with both hands and I'm ready to go.. Then When I'm done I just put it down on my stomach. SO this guy after finishing yhe set drops the DB, Drops it right on his fukking balls - how stupid yyou gotta be????????
    Had to get a surgery - and shave his balls..
    ogrish.com

clueless wonder
    Originally posted by syntekz

**If you are doing incline or shoulder presses**
    Use your knee/legs to throw the weight up onto your shoulders....
    heh. yeah, I know...I do catapult the DBs up with my legs, but I still have problems...sad.....i usually have my workout buddy make sure I can get the left DB up into the correct starting position.

There is some very good advice given here. I personaly like to use hit my chest at different angle using different execises every few weeks. i use flatbb, flatdb, inclinebb, inclinedb, and weighted dips. I usually use two to three of these movement every workout and switch every week. I stay away from the littly isolation movements. I also never had success in directly hitting certain parts of your chest, i personaly think that since the chest is one muscle it grows together and you can't hit it apart. Also don't worry about getting stuck under the weight , its happend to all of us.