The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Weaker
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    391

    Raw/BGB/Tall Questions

    Hello all,

    I had a few questions so i thought it would be better to put them all in here:

    1. When should I start using a belt for stuff like squatting and deadlifting?

    I'm not totally sure as to why they have to be used and if i did have to start using them, how would i know when? I refuse to use wraps for as long as possible, simply because i want my grip strength up significantly.

    2. Deadlift day followed by squat day

    After a big discussion in some other thread it was finally drilled into my head what BGB consisted of. Now, i still actually may be getting wrong. Basically, day 1 is deadlifts (5x5, along with the other back excercise and then chest), then day 2 has squats etc. Now, i thought this may a bit of a strain on the lower back, so would it make much of a difference to move squats to day 4? Or do squats not actually effect your lower back?

    3. Are tall people just naturally stronger?

    Although i 'leave my ego at the door', alot of my friends, i know would be criticising me for not being able to lift as much as my taller friend who hasn't been going as long, can lift. So perhaps i either need reassurance or a good slap, but are taller people just stronger?

    Apologies for the rant, but i need to know, especially about the belt thing, thankyou in advance.
    Journal

    Age: 21
    BW: 12st/1168lbs
    Height: 5'9"
    Big hiatus, deciding on new goals...

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Former Fatass Unreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SLC,UT
    Posts
    3,084
    1. Only if you are competeing would I look into a belt. I've never used one and deadlift 400+ on a consistent basis. As long as your form is good then not needed.

    2. Squats should not effect lower back if your form is right. If you land up do good mornings because you can't handle the weight then your lower back will feel it but your back should stay straigth the whole time.

    3. No, but some people have better genetics, or better diets.
    Nick V

  4. #3
    Banned Tofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    █♣█
    Posts
    1,232
    I wouldn't say tall people are naturally stronger or are at an advantage at all...

    Just think, if you have longer arms you have to move the bar further to do a full ROM on the bench. If you have longer legs you have to go up and down further to do a full ROM on your squat. The only thing being taller or longer might help you with, is deadlifting (long arms). Other than that, I would say shorter people have more of an advantage.

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by Portboy View Post
    3. Are tall people just naturally stronger?

    Although i 'leave my ego at the door', alot of my friends, i know would be criticising me for not being able to lift as much as my taller friend who hasn't been going as long, can lift. So perhaps i either need reassurance or a good slap, but are taller people just stronger?

    Apologies for the rant, but i need to know, especially about the belt thing, thankyou in advance.


    I would say no...looking at it in a general view tall people have it harder. They have to move the weight longer distances and with a few lifts leverage is not in their favor. Also they will look better with the same amount of muscle mass since they have less of a frame to fill out. The only advantage tall people have is when they do fill out they will look better....and they have an easier time picking up the ladies...j/k

    But yes genetic play a huge role as well
    Last edited by bics56; 12-14-2006 at 07:55 AM.

  6. #5
    Senior Member Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Portboy View Post
    1. When should I start using a belt for stuff like squatting and deadlifting?
    Unless you compete, never.

    2. Deadlift day followed by squat day
    You misunderstood. Look at the routine, upper/lower/rest/upper/lower/rest/rest.

    3. Are tall people just naturally stronger?
    No, stronger people are stronger.

    Generally speaking, the thicker you are, the better leverage you have.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

  7. #6
    Wannabebig Member JDiesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Newark, Delaware
    Posts
    0
    I think taller people have It harder as well....I have a huge problem on leg days because I have an average size torso but longer legs....squats kill my knees, I have to bend further down and push up farther to make parallel....

    As for the strength, everyone has their weaknesses and strengths, Im 21 and 6'0, while my partner is 25 and 5'8, while I can outbench him and out-do him on most arm and upperbody exercises he would crush me in legs.....Again thats strength in the gym pushing weights, If we were to get in a scuffle or wrestling match at this point he'd kill me even though I can put up more in the gym setting....in my eyes there different kinds of strength
    BULKING HARD: :evillaugh
    11/14/06, 6'0" 181.5lbs
    11/28/06, 6'0" 186.5lbs
    01/02/07, 6'0" 195.5lbs

    Goals:
    05/01/07, 6'0" 220 lbs
    11/14/08, 6'0" 250lbs

  8. #7
    Weaker
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Unless you compete, never.
    Why is this?
    Journal

    Age: 21
    BW: 12st/1168lbs
    Height: 5'9"
    Big hiatus, deciding on new goals...

  9. #8
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Portboy View Post
    Why is this?
    Because you should spend that money on Big Macs instead.

    The journal / I live here.

    If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

  10. #9
    Weaker
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash View Post
    Because you should spend that money on Big Macs instead.
    Cool cool, but the gym i go to provides belts, so i don't really lose out. Plus today one of the owners of the gym came up to me while i was deadlifting and said:

    Owner: 'Thats a good weight you got there mate'
    Me: 'Thanks'
    Owner: 'But if i were you, i'd use a belt for two plates and above, you don't wanna lose your lower back, you'd be out for weeks'
    Me: 'Okeydokey, cheers mate'

    I didn't know what else to say. I personally prefer to stay away from wraps or anything else that isn't just me doing the weight, unless thats wrong/dangerous for me todo so? I figured that if my form is right, my lower back shouldn't suffer, i dont think i should use a belt if my form is correct and there isn't a big risk of injury. But, i could be wrong...

    Anyhoo, apart from saving money to buy Big Macs, what other reasons are there?
    Journal

    Age: 21
    BW: 12st/1168lbs
    Height: 5'9"
    Big hiatus, deciding on new goals...

  11. #10
    Senior Member Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Portboy View Post
    Cool cool, but the gym i go to provides belts, so i don't really lose out. Plus today one of the owners of the gym came up to me while i was deadlifting and said:

    Owner: 'Thats a good weight you got there mate'
    Me: 'Thanks'
    Owner: 'But if i were you, i'd use a belt for two plates and above, you don't wanna lose your lower back, you'd be out for weeks'
    Me: 'Okeydokey, cheers mate'

    I didn't know what else to say. I personally prefer to stay away from wraps or anything else that isn't just me doing the weight, unless thats wrong/dangerous for me todo so? I figured that if my form is right, my lower back shouldn't suffer, i dont think i should use a belt if my form is correct and there isn't a big risk of injury. But, i could be wrong...

    Anyhoo, apart from saving money to buy Big Macs, what other reasons are there?
    A belt doesn't protect you - your owner doesn't know what he's talking about.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

  12. #11
    Weaker
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    A belt doesn't protect you - your owner doesn't know what he's talking about.
    I really really don't wanna sound like im disagreeing (because i'm not), but i would just like to know why/how a belt doesn't protect you, so that i have an argument to put up.
    Journal

    Age: 21
    BW: 12st/1168lbs
    Height: 5'9"
    Big hiatus, deciding on new goals...

  13. #12
    Senior Member Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,020
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

  14. #13
    Weaker
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Excellent, thanks.
    Journal

    Age: 21
    BW: 12st/1168lbs
    Height: 5'9"
    Big hiatus, deciding on new goals...

Similar Threads

  1. Some good questions (imho)
    By jimdab in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-01-2006, 11:29 AM
  2. the five toughest questions women ask...
    By Praetorian in forum General Chat
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-16-2003, 03:08 PM
  3. Overfeeding questions
    By ChuckieT in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-11-2003, 11:39 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •