The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

A couple of questions....

i have always wondered this... what "weighs" more.... a pound of muscle, or a pound of fat. also.... in class today me and my friends decided to arm wrestle each other.... i beat this skinny kid with no problem and faced this other kid. he wasnt really "skinny" but definitely wasnt fat. i outweigh him prolly by a good 40 lbs.... and he kept up with me pretty good until he finally took me down..... how much of arm wrestlin is brute strength.... i go to the gym at least 4-5 times a week and all he does is play soccer.... so i was just curious... i kno its kinda unrelated but if someone can help... thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

a pound can not weigh more than another pound. Think about what you just said. A pound off sunflower seeds dont weigh more or less than a pounds of apples...
    [Journal | My Diet]
    [Bench 170x5 | Squat 255x5 | Deadlift 300x5]
    "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried."

Quote Originally Posted by yankeekd25 View Post
    i have always wondered this... what "weighs" more.... a pound of muscle, or a pound of fat. also.... in class today me and my friends decided to arm wrestle each other.... i beat this skinny kid with no problem and faced this other kid. he wasnt really "skinny" but definitely wasnt fat. i outweigh him prolly by a good 40 lbs.... and he kept up with me pretty good until he finally took me down..... how much of arm wrestlin is brute strength.... i go to the gym at least 4-5 times a week and all he does is play soccer.... so i was just curious... i kno its kinda unrelated but if someone can help... thanks
    You must mean density. 1 lbs of muscle = 1 lbs of fat. The density is of muscle is around 1.06 g/ml and fat is 0.9 g/ml. What does this mean? It means that muscle is about 18-20% more dense than fat.

Arm wrestling is pretty dumb IMO. I have seen a lot of forearms snapped from it and I don't recommend it. If someone absolutely begs to arm wrestle me, I will but at first sign of stress in the bone, I let him or HER win. I'd rather lose and keep both arms in top shape than to hear the crack and cry for months.

Arm wrestling is leverage, bone thickness, muscle, and experience. Go compete in deadlilfting if you want to see how strong you and your soccer buddy are.

From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

Quote Originally Posted by -Superman- View Post
    You must mean density. 1 lbs of muscle = 1 lbs of fat. The density is of muscle is around 1.06 g/ml and fat is 0.9 g/ml. What does this mean? It means that muscle is about 18-20% more dense than fat.

Arm wrestling is pretty dumb IMO. I have seen a lot of forearms snapped from it and I don't recommend it. If someone absolutely begs to arm wrestle me, I will but at first sign of stress in the bone, I let him or HER win. I'd rather lose and keep both arms in top shape than to hear the crack and cry for months.

Arm wrestling is leverage, bone thickness, muscle, and experience. Go compete in deadlilfting if you want to see how strong you and your soccer buddy are.

I hurt my shoulder arm wrestling. Stupid me Tried arm wrestling my buddy about 2-3 weeks after injuring my RC on wide grips chins.

Man, I haven't arm wrestled in years. I used to beat everybody though.

Of course, that was in middle school and I went through my growth spurt before the rest of the class, but that's besides the point.

So what weighs more, a ton of feathers, or a ton of bricks?
    Last edited by Chris686; 12-16-2006 at 03:37 PM.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris686 View Post
    Man, I haven't arm wrestled in years. I used to beat everybody though.

Of course, that was in middle school and I went through my growth spurt before the rest of the class, but that's besides the point.

So what weighs more, a ton of feathers, or a ton of bricks?

What are the bricks made out of? What type of bird did the feathers come from?

Quote Originally Posted by -Superman- View Post

Don't forget ligament and tendon strength. Most people who get injured from arm wrestling, have their tendons damaged.