Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Why does my chest develop so much slower than everything else?

  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4

    Why does my chest develop so much slower than everything else?

    Im 6'2 210, I got my bf checked a couple of weeks ago and it was 12 percent. I've been putting on weight and my back/shoulders/legs/arms have made a lot of progress but my chest isnt nearly as developed as the rest of my body. I know I need to lower my bf for my stomach to look smaller, that should make my chest look bigger. But even with a bf percentage that high my chest should look bigger. I see dudes with much bigger stomachs than mine (mine isnt even big) and their chests are killing mine.

    My normal routine

    3 to 4 sets of flat bench (12,10,8,6) reps
    3 sets of incline (10,8,6)

    either
    3 sets of weighted dips, 10 reps a piece
    or
    3 sets of decline bench(10,8,6)

    I also do either flat flys or incline flys with weights or ccables, 10 reps for 3 sets

    Like I said everything is growing but my chest, so I think my diet and rest or decent. somebody please give me suggestions because chest is what I want to improve the most.

    This past week I switched my routine, i used to work each body pat once a week, this week i did

    Chest and Back- monday, thursday
    legs and shoulders, tuesday an friday

    do you think thats better for mass? Thanks

  2. #2
    is taking names. Can'tstopnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    837
    I have had success with 5x5 and 8x3 (sets x reps). Keep lifting heavy and it will happen.

    Search the forum to see what comes up, lots of threads on this one.
    Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.

    Link to my change http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85798

    He doesnt start fights he just operates on high speed in a low speed zone all the time .-BRAWL

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    0
    what is your bench number? Have you tried flat db pressing?

  4. #4
    I Piss Excellence DeHartD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrielle View Post
    what is your bench number? Have you tried flat db pressing?
    DB press helped me gain a lot in chest strength. Try push-ups too. 50 in the morning 50 at night. Go up from there. just a thought
    6'3"
    232

    *on the shelf*

  5. #5
    Unremarkable Questor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Posts
    881
    My two bits: 5x5 bb then 3x8 db

  6. #6
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrielle View Post
    what is your bench number? Have you tried flat db pressing?
    Last week I did 185*12, 195*10, 205*8, 215*6

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by houston911 View Post
    Last week I did 185*12, 195*10, 205*8, 215*6
    Why not go something like this 195X5, 205X5, 215X5, 225X5, 235X5. Might have to shift the weight around a bit to figure out what you can put up. From everything I have read you are doing too many sets with too little weight(ie: if you can do that many reps of that weight, its not enough weight for you)

  8. #8
    PoutineEh
    Guest
    do a low number of sets with high weights. it looks you have been doing too much volume and your chest probably could use a break for a month or two to rebound from all the volume

  9. #9
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4
    thannks yall. how do i know if im training my chest too much? when i do chest once a week ill train on monday and the soreness is gone by thursday.

    how do yall feel about twice a week? the football players here do that and theyre huge.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33
    Why not look around this site and find a proven lifting schedule? I know I sure as hell couldnt come up with my own routine better than the ones on this site

  11. #11
    THUNDER THIGHS! Fuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    2,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    My two bits: 5x5 bb then 3x8 db

    +1
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

    My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

    Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

  12. #12
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by slither View Post
    Why not look around this site and find a proven lifting schedule? I know I sure as hell couldnt come up with my own routine better than the ones on this site
    i actually have tried some programs like that. i never respoded to doing like 6 sets a week for my chest, i saw ZERO growth

    thanks for the input everyone

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    4,548
    How much weight have you gained?

  14. #14
    Eat Chicken Chris686's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by houston911 View Post
    i actually have tried some programs like that. i never respoded to doing like 6 sets a week for my chest, i saw ZERO growth

    thanks for the input everyone
    Doesn't look like you're responding to your current routine either.

    I would advise a routine that does 5x5 of a flat BB bench, then 3x8 of an incline or decline bench.

    When you're doing the 5x5, don't use a pyramid scheme. Do one weight the entire workout. Judging by what you're doing now, I'd say pick something around 210LBs for a 5x5, then go do an incline/decline dumbbell OR barbell for the 3x8. Practice the same strategy there. Personally that's what I prefer: Using a single weight throughout my sets.

    That's not really required though, so a pyramid scheme would work too, but I find that setting a goal of a +5 pound increase on your bench every week works great.

    If you don't feel this is enough work, you're not lifting heavy enough.
    Bolded for emphasis.

    If you really want to know, I'd never do your current chest workout. There's too much there. Most wouldn't be able to keep up enough intensity throughout that workout if they were using adequate weight for strength gains.
    Forever Goal: Strength

    Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

  15. #15
    Wannabebig New Member HahnB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    How much weight have you gained?
    :withstupi

    If you haven't gained at least 10lbs that's your answer.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

    Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

  16. #16
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    How much weight have you gained?
    I weighed around 195 at the beginning of the school year (mid august) now im at 210 so thats 15 pounds.

  17. #17
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris686 View Post
    Doesn't look like you're responding to your current routine either.

    I would advise a routine that does 5x5 of a flat BB bench, then 3x8 of an incline or decline bench.

    When you're doing the 5x5, don't use a pyramid scheme. Do one weight the entire workout. Judging by what you're doing now, I'd say pick something around 210LBs for a 5x5, then go do an incline/decline dumbbell OR barbell for the 3x8. Practice the same strategy there. Personally that's what I prefer: Using a single weight throughout my sets.

    That's not really required though, so a pyramid scheme would work too, but I find that setting a goal of a +5 pound increase on your bench every week works great.

    If you don't feel this is enough work, you're not lifting heavy enough.
    Bolded for emphasis.

    If you really want to know, I'd never do your current chest workout. There's too much there. Most wouldn't be able to keep up enough intensity throughout that workout if they were using adequate weight for strength gains.

    i think im gonna go back to this. i was doing a 4*6 routine and I got my bech up to 4 sets of 230 6 times, in week 1 i was doing 195. I added 5 lbds every week and once i got to 235...........everything fell apart, I couldnt even do 3 reps. I decided then I would go down to 185 and do the 12 reps, mistake on my part.

    but how much of your chest has to do with genetics? When I started lifting chest was my weakest area, Ihad a super super bird chest. 2 years ago I weighed like 175-180, so Ive made progress.....my chest just hasnt grown like my other areas and thats what i want the most

  18. #18
    Eat Chicken Chris686's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by houston911 View Post
    i think im gonna go back to this. i was doing a 4*6 routine and I got my bech up to 4 sets of 230 6 times, in week 1 i was doing 195. I added 5 lbds every week and once i got to 235...........everything fell apart, I couldnt even do 3 reps. I decided then I would go down to 185 and do the 12 reps, mistake on my part.

    but how much of your chest has to do with genetics? When I started lifting chest was my weakest area, Ihad a super super bird chest. 2 years ago I weighed like 175-180, so Ive made progress.....my chest just hasnt grown like my other areas and thats what i want the most
    Genetics effect everything. You just have to make due with what you were born with.

    The actual look of the chest is heavily genetic if I'm not mistaken.
    I mean, look at women. Some women are born with huge knockers, while others don't even have a handful.
    Forever Goal: Strength

    Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

  19. #19
    Breaker of Skulls Guido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    40N 88W
    Posts
    11,316
    The routine you posted looks like overtraining waiting to happen. Cut back on the volume, but keep it heavy. Perhaps take a week off every 8 weeks or so to give yourself time to rest. Very your exercises more. That's the best advice I can give you.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1


    My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

    "Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Similar Threads

  1. rep test guide.
    By JSully in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-17-2006, 01:43 AM
  2. The exact way to throw a powerful punch
    By Nickthebassist in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-03-2006, 05:29 PM
  3. So, a thread about upper and lower chest
    By musclette in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-12-2003, 03:05 PM
  4. Chest exercises at home?
    By Igs in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-08-2003, 02:50 PM
  5. red marks on chest
    By Joe Black in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-17-2001, 08:58 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •