Thread: ME, DE, RDL... translation please?

ME, DE, RDL... translation please?

I've been doing a lot of reading on here today, and a few things have confused me. People describe there workouts using ME and DE. As in "DE upper" or "ME lower." What does that mean exactly?

And RDL... I'm guessing it either stands for Regular Dead Lift, Rack Dead Lift, or Romanian Dead Lift. I'm putting my money on romanian dead lift, and, if I'm right, can someone please tell me the difference between a romanian dead lift and say a conventional dead lift or stiff legged dead lift?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by unstop; 12-14-2006 at 03:56 PM.

These three terms are from Zatsiorski et. al, but Westside uses them in their training template and the PL world more or less got them from Westside/Louie Simmons.

ME = 'maximum effort' (training). Training to a maximum single, double, or triple. "Training to strain".
    DE = 'dynamic effort' (training). Training w. a lighter weight, usually for 2 or three reps. Training for speed.
    RE = Repetition effort. Training for maximum repetitions with a given weight.

A RDL is a "Romanian Deadlift", which is like a stiff-legged deadlift. You stick your butt out and back as far as possible, maintain as straight a lower back as possible and may or may not be a full range of motion.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

btw, here's a glossary of powerlifting terms. It doesn't include the ones you mentioned, but it may help you with others as you read through the forums.
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=75458
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    These three terms are from Zatsiorski et. al, but Westside uses them in their training template and the PL world more or less got them from Westside/Louie Simmons.

ME = 'maximum effort' (training). Training to a maximum single, double, or triple. "Training to strain".
    DE = 'dynamic effort' (training). Training w. a lighter weight, usually for 2 or three reps. Training for speed.
    RE = Repetition effort. Training for maximum repetitions with a given weight.

A RDL is a "Romanian Deadlift", which is like a stiff-legged deadlift. You stick your butt out and back as far as possible, maintain as straight a lower back as possible and may or may not be a full range of motion.
    Thanks for the reply. An RDL sounds exactly like an SLDL. Is there any difference, or is it just 1 exercise with two names?

yeah theres a difference.
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

DE also means to 'Disenchant'.

Quote Originally Posted by Natetaco View Post
    yeah theres a difference.
    Care to let me in on what that difference is?

haha, wow is everywhere
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 213 LBS.

i believe RDL's (romanian deadlifts) are when you dont let the weight touch the floor. so its kinda like a hang clean where the weight never touches the floor.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

:withstupi

Yes that's RDL.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    DE also means to 'Disenchant'.

awesome