The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Haha what book did you pick up?

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

russian kettlebell challenge by pavel...some crazy russian name.
    haha, also got dinosaur training, advance sports nutrition (ithink), the principles of strength training (ithink) and power to the people another book by that russian.

when im done with those ill get more, gotta get my knowledge up!
    2000 or bust

Yea, Pavel is the head guy. He's got some crazy strength for his size. I'm not sure if he's written a book, but look around and see if Mike Muller has written anything. That guy's a freak.

this workout is easy and remember to not crush your forearms..

...i wish
    2000 or bust

Haha it'll get easier I promise. At least until you start trying to do the Turkish Getups, Snatches and Windmills in one workout. You'll learn to love Turkish Getups though.

they are sweet when i did them once my obliques were getting killed, but yeah and the workout will take longer, it took me like 30 without getups
    2000 or bust

Check out this women girevoy contest in Latvia! http://youtube.com/watch?v=jX8gn7IKPY8
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Iron4Life
    Dang that's cool..
    THere are 5 of those videos from that competition:
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=girevoysport
    Incredible strength endurance... and the form those guys have on the snatches and jerks are way awesome..

Did anyone see this RKC certification seminar highlight film? The guys working with 'The Beast' and the Steve Cotter clips are freaking impressive!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO61k3EODY4&NR
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Did anyone see this RKC certification seminar highlight film? The guys working with 'The Beast' and the Steve Cotter clips are freaking impressive!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO61k3EODY4&NR
    Yup indeed!

Jerry Shreck was commenting on Stever Cotter today on my site. That was insane **** by him.

Kc

That looked a helluva lot like Steve Maxwell at the end of the last video. Pretty cool stuff man. The first half of the video looked a lot like our KB classes we used to run. That guy pressing the Beast was F'in amazing.

Iron4Life
    Those RKC classes are insane.. imagine Pavel kicking you in the gut while doing a plank!! Kool..

Dang... I really want to get certified!!!
    I guess I better finally buy those KBs first huh??

That is Steve Maxwell who's giving the pep talk towards the end.

Bearwolf,
    I'd like to get certified too, but it's something like 3 grand or so. Don't know if that will happen for me.

Haha I thought so. He just seemed a lot more personable in that video than all the times I've talked to him. Threw me off a bit.

That is Steve Maxwell who's giving the pep talk towards the end.

Bearwolf,
    I'd like to get certified too, but it's something like 3 grand or so. Don't know if that will happen for me.
    $3,000 for that certification is a major RIP OFF!

Kc

Quote Originally Posted by FortifiedIron View Post
    $3,000 for that certification is a major RIP OFF!
    Kc
    I love Pavel's stuff, but it IS pricey...

I suppose the RKC certification is a rip-off if you were to compare it to, for example, NSCA certification, but if you were to compare it to semester of college classes it isn't really crazy.

I love Pavel's stuff, but it IS pricey...

I suppose the RKC certification is a rip-off if you were to compare it to, for example, NSCA certification, but if you were to compare it to semester of college classes it isn't really crazy.
    Pavel seems to oversimply things and at some points you just wanna run your head into a wall from the run around.

Id never pay that much for any certification. I'll get an ACE certification before Id pay that much lol

Kc

Quote Originally Posted by FortifiedIron View Post
    Pavel seems to oversimply things and at some points you just wanna run your head into a wall from the run around.
    Hmmm, like what? I know what you mean, but it's not like he's writing research articles. I get sick of the 'comrade' crap, but IMO he does a great job of simplifying down stuff that average, weak people (like me) try to overanalyze.
    Id never pay that much for any certification. I'll get an ACE certification before Id pay that much lol
    Kc
    Sad thing is that most gyms/programs would probably hire someone w. ACE certification before someone w. RKC, so that'd probably be the smart choice.

how much does "The Beast' weigh?? looks HUGE
    Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. -Joushua Marine

Iron4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Haha I thought so. He just seemed a lot more personable in that video than all the times I've talked to him. Threw me off a bit.
    Chubs - where the heck do you workout to talk to Pavel? Or even Steve Maxwell? We don't have any of that kind of opportunity up here in New England... besides some small places in Boston and there is a gym in RI now.

Sad thing is that most gyms/programs would probably hire someone w. ACE certification before someone w. RKC, so that'd probably be the smart choice.
    Man, ain't that the sad truth... when those ACE certified trainers come around me at the gym, they fear for their life!!! Try to tell me how to 1/4 Squat... I dare you!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by ericg View Post
    Other WBB members please correct me if I am wrong[/B] but I believe that your body gets hit pretty hard during some hiit/KB/MetCon, more so than a weight training day? I think Anthony has some info on what I am talking about.
    What I said in the past was that a metcon workout will have more of a negative impact on strength training VS strength training impacting metcon. This theory can be best illustrated by combining ME squats and rowing. Squats will have minimal impact on your rowing time, but a few intense rowing sprints will have a huge impact on your 1RM squat.

But chubs is right, you can certainly adapt to either scenario.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Hmmm, like what? I know what you mean, but it's not like he's writing research articles. I get sick of the 'comrade' crap, but IMO he does a great job of simplifying down stuff that average, weak people (like me) try to overanalyze.
    I read one of his books awhile back... I understood half of what he was trying to say. The only thing that helped with understanding it was the pictures he had in the book lol.. it wasnt that the information was hard to read, it was just that the way he wrote it and presented it made it hard to understand.

Kc

Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf View Post
    Chubs - where the heck do you workout to talk to Pavel? Or even Steve Maxwell? We don't have any of that kind of opportunity up here in New England... besides some small places in Boston and there is a gym in RI now.

Man, ain't that the sad truth... when those ACE certified trainers come around me at the gym, they fear for their life!!! Try to tell me how to 1/4 Squat... I dare you!!! lol

I used to train at a Steve Maxwell affiliate. I've never met Pavel, but Steve came down a couple of times to show us some stuff. His son is a freak of nature.