Thread: What's up with this?

Wannabebig New Member

What's up with this?

Has anyone else ever had this happen- accessory lifts ( tricep extensions, lateral raises, etc.) all moving up, but your bench isn't ? Also, I understand that ' plateaus happen ', but how long is too long ?

Yup
    Just emphasise form work. As soon as you get the form down great and your CNS gets used to it your bench will soar!
    You don't have to over worry as long as most lifts are going up.(Unless you have a meet coming!)
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Maybe try comound movements instead of isolation exercises. I can't touch tricep extensions. They ruin my elbows.

VDizenzo,
    Do you do any kind of DB extension exercises, or do you stick w. JM, board presses, etc.?
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I have read some articles on carry over. Basic even though those two exercises may be good. They may not have any carry over to the bench for you.
    Like V said, compounds
    Military press, db press
    declines, inclines, db benching, dips, CG bench and you dont have grip to closely
    I don't think you would see much increase to your bench with the exercises you listed.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

One example was the guy increased his HS bench, went to do regular bench. He did the same or less on regular bench.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

I agree with Vin on this. Ext and latterals have no carryover on the lifts. I do them but for recovery maybe a few sets of 20. you would be better off with board work, dips, any compound pressing movements.

I do go heavier on the rear delt raises and side raises but only for direct shoulder work. It has little effect on my pressing gains though.
    pain is inevitable suffering is optional

www.ryanopower.com

http://www.prowriststraps.com