Thread: 6 pack, 2 inches smaller waist

6 pack, 2 inches smaller waist

Hi fellas my buddy tells me that he lost 2 inches on his waist, from 34 to 32, and got a 6 pack in 1 month just by doing ab workouts. As far as his eating habits, he stopped eating after 6, except a few fruits and shakes. My question is it possible? He did not do any cardio. He did 30-mins of ab workout, 3 times a week.

if u cut out the ****ty foods, work out ur abs properly, drop your body fat %, and be patient, - in that order - yes you will have a six pack.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theman View Post
    Hi fellas my buddy tells me that he lost 2 inches on his waist, from 34 to 32, and got a 6 pack in 1 month just by doing ab workouts. As far as his eating habits, he stopped eating after 6, except a few fruits and shakes. My question is it possible? He did not do any cardio. He did 30-mins of ab workout, 3 times a week.
    Yes it is possible, but not because he was doing abdominal workouts. It happened because he ate less calories due to the rules he created in his diet (no eating after 6:00pm). You have to understand the calories are pretty much the only thing that counts (for the most part, the rest is details). So, when he made that rule up, he effectively dropped his calories and the fat and muscle came off of him. The major problem with the way he went about it is that he probably lost muscle in every place besides his abs (because he actually worked those muscles). So he has a 6 pack and probably has no chest, arms or legs. That is every mans dream! Err... Not.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    As far as his eating habits, he stopped eating after 6
    This is a myth. Bedtime meals are essential. Most tissue repairs occurs during sleep, so it is vital to get in a pre-bedtime meal if you want to see some nice results. Lowering your body fat through diet + weight training = abs. You cannot see abs if they are hiding under a layer of fat. How your abs appear is solely based on your genetics. You don't want to only have abs and lack muscle everywhere else, though that seems to be what your friend is striving for.

Your friend doesn't know the first thing about healthy eating or a proper training regime. I suggest you read the stickies on this site and absorb as much as you can.

Ultimately what are YOUR goals? What would you like to achieve with your physique? Ignore what your friend is doing and learn something valuable for yourself from this site.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

By not eating after 6 he probably just lowered his Caloric intake and the workouts may have raised that amount he is burning also. If what you are saying is true your friend missed out on some substantial gains by not doing enough homework.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    This is a myth.
    Yes and no. It is amyth because of the reasoning involved: "eating before bed makes you fat!" It is quite effective at not only cutting caloric intake down, but by also cutting the **** out of your diet. I think it would be fair to say that most people eat a lot of crap after dinner: ice cream for dessert, chips while watching TV, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel777 View Post
    Yes it is possible, but not because he was doing abdominal workouts. It happened because he ate less calories due to the rules he created in his diet (no eating after 6:00pm). You have to understand the calories are pretty much the only thing that counts (for the most part, the rest is details). So, when he made that rule up, he effectively dropped his calories and the fat and muscle came off of him. The major problem with the way he went about it is that he probably lost muscle in every place besides his abs (because he actually worked those muscles). So he has a 6 pack and probably has no chest, arms or legs. That is every mans dream! Err... Not.
    I agree 100%. This link shows me at 150lbs.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=72901

I was shredded , however mass was non existent. I cut my cals to 1700-2000 a day , ran 2-3 miles a day, and did my full workouts. There was no fuel for building muscle so I shrank. I didn't like the way I looked then , so I decided to bulk up. Almost 180lbs now , those pictures are a little more than 1 year old.
    33years old , 5'10" , 174lbs
    - Fail to Plan , Plan to Fail

Quote Originally Posted by Lean-N-Mean View Post
    I agree 100%. This link shows me at 150lbs.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=72901

I was shredded , however mass was non existent. I cut my cals to 1700-2000 a day , ran 2-3 miles a day, and did my full workouts. There was no fuel for building muscle so I shrank. I didn't like the way I looked then , so I decided to bulk up. Almost 180lbs now , those pictures are a little more than 1 year old.
    Wow, actually, those are impressive abs dude! Yes, you were quite small there, but you sure were pretty well defined. The cool part is that you had an excellent base when you started to bulk.

Banned
    He may have a fast metabolism

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeoffire View Post

Huh? ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel777 View Post
    Wow, actually, those are impressive abs dude! Yes, you were quite small there, but you sure were pretty well defined. The cool part is that you had an excellent base when you started to bulk.
    Thanks Arch! Well I know, the abs were pretty good, and I was lean. However I sacrificed a lot of muscle to get there. I almost looked malnourished , instead of sexy, lol. I would like to think where I would be now if I hadn't gone on an insane cut. Oh well , water under the bridge, just concentrating on getting bigger now , arrrrgh!!!

Who me? Or the friend the original poster was talking about?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lean-N-Mean View Post
    Who me? Or the friend the original poster was talking about?
    The guy that lost 2 inches, he definetly has a fast metabolism, it's genetics

The guy that lost 2 inches, he definetly has a fast metabolism, it's genetics
    Orrrrrr....he ate less, and that's why he lost bodyfat. Ya know, because he changed his diet.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Orrrrrr....he ate less, and that's why he lost bodyfat. Ya know, because he changed his diet.
    I tend to agree more with you here Guido. Genetics play a role I give you Snakeoffire, however the simple fact in my case was just cut my calories severly while keeping my workout regimen the same. Less fuel than required=Fat and MUSCLE loss.

OK fellas, so I am thinking of eating 3 times a day with snacks in between. Now I currently weigh at 194lbs with 14% bodyfat. I want to lose as much fat as possible but keep as much musle as possible. This other guy told me to do a brisk walk at 4 miles per hour on the treadmill for 30 mins after each workout session in order to burn fat and keep muscle. I don't know how to track calories because my mom cooks all kinds of food, mainly Afghan with occassional Indian, Chinese, and Italian.

OK fellas, so I am thinking of eating 3 times a day with snacks in between. Now I currently weigh at 194lbs with 14% bodyfat. I want to lose as much fat as possible but keep as much musle as possible. This other guy told me to do a brisk walk at 4 miles per hour on the treadmill for 30 mins after each workout session in order to burn fat and keep muscle. I don't know how to track calories because my mom cooks all kinds of food, mainly Afghan with occassional Indian, Chinese, and Italian.
    You are better off spending that 30 min to briskly kick the crap out of the person who told you that.
    A slow clean cut is your answer to maintaining maximum muscle while losing fat. The Basis of this has been covered multiple times on this forum, so read up and good luck.

Actaully 15-30 minutes of SS cardio, say fast incline walking, after lifting can be very effective (even on a bulk).

FFA's are mobilized after a lifting session.

Quote Originally Posted by seK View Post
    You are better off spending that 30 min to briskly kick the crap out of the person who told you that.
    HAHAHA lol!!!!!!!! That was a funny answer, wait till I tell him that. What's even more hilarious is that he told me that his best friend is the biggest guy in Europe and that he does 300 sit-ups after workouts and no cardio at all. On top of that he eats ANYTHING and has a 6 pack.

... weightlifting forever leetuck's Avatar
    I don't know about you guys but I find that when I start doing situps after a break i lose about 1.5 inches within a week or so... it's not magic it's simple in my opinion.

When I don't do situps I feel that my abs relax, hence the stomach diameter increases!!! When I do a lot of situps I feel like I am semi tensed all the time without even realising. Relax your abs, measure your waist then tense up and measure again and check the difference.

What I am saying is if he has just started doing situps he prob lost inches because of this reason.... but if his abs are showing now but they wasn't before it's from fat loss like everyone he already said.
    Last edited by leetuck; 06-26-2007 at 06:26 PM.
    Lee

Height: 6ft 4
    Current weight: 226 lbs

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Is that you in your avatar, Leetuck?
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

... weightlifting forever leetuck's Avatar
    Yes mate... when I was slimmer.

I'm 2 stone heavier now, why you asking?
    Lee

Height: 6ft 4
    Current weight: 226 lbs

HAHAHA lol!!!!!!!! That was a funny answer, wait till I tell him that. What's even more hilarious is that he told me that his best friend is the biggest guy in Europe and that he does 300 sit-ups after workouts and no cardio at all. On top of that he eats ANYTHING and has a 6 pack.
    Biggest Guy in Europe? That's an actual award?

Why are you asking for advice then if you already have all the answers?

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post

Ultimately what are YOUR goals? What would you like to achieve with your physique? Ignore what your friend is doing and learn something valuable for yourself from this site.
    This is the best advice you are ever going to get in your ENTIRE workout career. At the end of the day its YOU who has to lift the weights, YOU who has to cook the healthy food, and YOU who has to make time when there is no time to hit the gym. Go into the gym with the attitude that the time you are about to invest is for YOU, and make no mistake... if it isn't you WILL fail.

Do it to it.
    "Tom explained that when he came in he was in awe of the lifters in the group and that you can never become what you're in awe of."

"keep smoking weed, fail the test, and learn a ****ing lesson."--MrWebb78

"Chicks dig lifters because they know lifters arn't affraid of commitment"