The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Entering 7th year of bodybuilding

Hey fellas I am entering my 7th year of bodybuilding in January. I went from 132lbs in Jan 2000 to 198lbs currently at 5"9. Anyways I have a hard time putting on more weight. It seems like the more I lift, the more it becomes difficult to gain. I wanted some opinions from people on a good weightlifting routine. I have tried routines 1,2,and 3 posted on this site. Thanx.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I have been bodybuilding for about as long as you, 6 years, and I ran into the same problem. Eating enough, eating the right amounts, supplementing right, eating at the right time, I was doing everything right. This is just a suggestion, but it boosted me through my plateau. It may sound elementary, but go for 12-15 reps about 12-16 sets per bodypart. sets of 20 on squats helped my legs to start growig again. sets of 100 on the toe press for calves helped my calves out tremendously. If you have been training at low reps (4,6,8) try some higher reps. It seems counterintuative to do so, but it works.

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    If you are 198, ripped and are natural, you probably are nearing your cap. One of the best natural bodybuilders out there is Tom Venuto. I believe he is 5'8" and weighs in at ~185 for a contest weight.

Of course, I really don't know what the cap is... Some people on this site have really went far. BCC (from this site) was pretty huge while he was natural and is now even larger!

Banned
    You have a hard time putting on weight or muscle? If it's weight, then you're not eating enough. If it's muscle (as in you bulk, cut and there is little/no difference), then I would say you need to re-evaluate your diet.

^ Word. If your trying to continue to gain weight, you are going to have to eat more. Of course it gets harder to put on weight the bigger you get. You have more muscle, which is expensive to maintain calorically, and a higher metabolism for the same reason.

If the weight you're referring to having difficulty gaining is weight in your lifts, then it sounds like indeed it is time to change up your routine.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle