The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Starting Strength

Just got the Starting Strength book by Mark Rippetoe yesterday. All I can say is wow. I didnt realize how in depth you could get with the squat...haha I read about 40-45 pages last night and I'm still not out of the squat chapter. But I am getting tons of info on proper form and all that good stuff. I cant wait to start on his routine to see how well it goes.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Rip is THE MAN! This book is like scripture for lifters and coaches.

His routine will make you very strong. But just like with other scripture, a lot of people pick and choose which commandments to follow and which to ignore. With Rip's routine many people do "most of" the lifts, but cut out the power cleans. Unless you have a medical reason to avoid them, don't succumb to that temptation. The power cleans were the toughest lift for me to learn to do properly, but once I got 'em figured out they have been hugely helpful to me. Explosive power develoment. It's great.

I've been athletic and active all my life, but I never would have guessed I'd be at my strongest, fastest and most powerful in middle age. I have Rip to thank for that.

Make sure you keep a written log to track your progress. You'll be amazed.

My wife and kids are even doing Rip's routine now too and we're all very pleased with our progress.

Good luck!

Last edited by beatlesfreak; 12-12-2006 at 07:04 PM.

Got the book too! GOOD STUFF

I feel like one of the hardest parts will be learning to do power cleans by myself. I've never seen anyone at the gym doing them, so I'm not really gonna have anyone to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by neon View Post
    I feel like one of the hardest parts will be learning to do power cleans by myself. I've never seen anyone at the gym doing them, so I'm not really gonna have anyone to tell me what I'm doing wrong.
    I've never seen anyone at my gym do them either. Just follow the book carefully, read and re-read that section, and go light on the weights until you've got the form down.

There are usually a few vids on Youtube that show power cleans as well. If you have read the power clean chapter in Rip's book you should be able to tell which videos are showing good form and which aren't. You can learn from both---what to do and what not to do.

At some point it just sort of clicks. One day you walk into the gym, having practiced and studied and asked questions and practiced and studied some more, and suddenly your body just knows what to do. That's when you finally start moving the weights up.
    Last edited by beatlesfreak; 12-13-2006 at 12:08 AM.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    I've heard nothing but good things about this book. I think this will be the next book added to the collection of weightlifting books on my shelf.

Any other good recommendations?
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

This is the first book that I've gotten so no other recommendations from me. I just got done with the programming chapter last night. I plan on finishing the book by monday and starting the program on monday also. I don't want to add many things to his routine, but I think I may throw in some dips/pullups on certain days. Depending on how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    I've heard nothing but good things about this book. I think this will be the next book added to the collection of weightlifting books on my shelf.

Any other good recommendations?
    Me too...I got Beyond Brawn now and am 270 pages in and would say this is a basic but very solid book

I think I'm gonna start looking for a Nutrition book next. Any suggestions?

just started my first day yesterday...felt pretty good...and I threw in some close grip pull-ups at the end...