The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Is it possible to get toned without joining a gym?

I don't know if this is the right forum, but is it possible to get toned without joining a gym? If so, what do I need to start? I don't want to get built, I just want to tighten up. I have light weights I bought years ago, but they are just 2 lb hand weights so I think they are useless. I don't even know where they are anyway. I guess I should be on some sort of program, but I can't afford to join a gym at this time. I was hoping maybe something I can do at home can help me reach my goals of getting toned.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance!

Jen

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

What you mean by toning is in fact having low body fat. This is achieved by a calorie deficit, eating less than you burn each day. As far as exercises go, do pushups, pullups, sprints, squats, lunges. Buy a slege hammer and hit a tyre for a few minutes each day. Also do tyre drags. Check around these forums for more advice.

I guess that really depends on how you perceive being "toned".
    The way I think of it, I would definately say that you don't need a gym to get toned and tight. Calistenics (pushups, pullups, situps, etc) and Aerobics should accomplish that, and if it doesn't, you can pick up some heaver dumbells at the local sports store.

Yes you can. Eat less. Exercise more. Results will follow.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Wannabebig Member
    thanks everyone!

Well, I thought I was at a good weight. Should I go lower? I am 110 and 5'3" but not "toned". Should I still go to a lower body weight?

Are you a girl?
    If you know how you want your body to look, then just go by the mirror not the scales

Depends on how much fat you have on you. You need to drop more fat to get definition.
    Nick V

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    Are you a girl?
    If you know how you want your body to look, then just go by the mirror not the scales
    yes, I'm a girl, but even at my lowest weight which was 102, I still was lacking definition. Thanks though!

If you stay at the same weight, and decide to lift weights, your body will have no choice but to go through some recomposition. It's a slow way to go about it, but it doesn't require much change in your diet, just some physical effort.

And at 5'3, 110lbs you definitely DO NOT need to lose any more weight. In fact, putting on 10 lbs would be perfectly okay as long as it was muscle and not fat.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    If you stay at the same weight, and decide to lift weights, your body will have no choice but to go through some recomposition. It's a slow way to go about it, but it doesn't require much change in your diet, just some physical effort.

And at 5'3, 110lbs you definitely DO NOT need to lose any more weight. In fact, putting on 10 lbs would be perfectly okay as long as it was muscle and not fat.
    :withstupi
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Yes those 2lb dumbells are fairly useless. How many pushups/pullups/ bodyweight lunges can you do? You'd probably be better off at a gym, but if you are a complete beginner, bodyweight exercises might be okay for now.

What you are trying to do is to reduce your body fat. You do this by dieting to lose weight but also weightlifting to maintain muscle.. the only other choice your body has is to burn fat.

My advice to girls who want to "tone up" is usually:
    Clean up your diet and replace the sugary crap with high protein foods
    Exercise 3x a week - if you can't go to a gym, do pushups, lunges, pullups, squats etc at home.

Dont be afraid to push yourself. You will NOT get big overnight. There are hundreds of us who work hard for YEARS trying to get big. You're a girl which also means you wont gain as easily as us guys. So dont worry about getting too big.. it wont happen unless you really try to make it happen.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidelmo View Post
    Yes those 2lb dumbells are fairly useless. How many pushups/pullups/ bodyweight lunges can you do? You'd probably be better off at a gym, but if you are a complete beginner, bodyweight exercises might be okay for now.

What you are trying to do is to reduce your body fat. You do this by dieting to lose weight but also weightlifting to maintain muscle.. the only other choice your body has is to burn fat.

My advice to girls who want to "tone up" is usually:
    Clean up your diet and replace the sugary crap with high protein foods
    Exercise 3x a week - if you can't go to a gym, do pushups, lunges, pullups, squats etc at home.

Dont be afraid to push yourself. You will NOT get big overnight. There are hundreds of us who work hard for YEARS trying to get big. You're a girl which also means you wont gain as easily as us guys. So dont worry about getting too big.. it wont happen unless you really try to make it happen.
    Can you or anyone else recommend how to put a program for myself together? Is there a book I can get or a video ?

thanks again!

Read the articles on http://www.wannabebig.com/ but keep in mind that most are oriented to people with gym access. You can train at home, but you have to be very motivated to learn and probably buy some equipment like a barbell. It's probably a lot easier to start at a gym.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 12-20-2006 at 07:34 PM.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks everyone!!!

Yeah Summer, I agree that it would be easier to join a gym. Most routines are designed with gym access in mind and to be honest I think you will see better results much quicker with gym access.

Also the gym will suit your needs more. If you can't do a proper pullup by yourself you can use a machine with lighter weight that you can manage etc.

If you insist on working at home, at the least you would need some basic equipment. You can get a barbell and some free weights very cheaply.

However, a "decent" home routine would maybe be something like this:
    Warmup jog for 5-10 minutes

Pullups - a few sets of as many as you can do comfortably. Aim to improve them every time.

Bodyweight lunges - again do a few sets of these and see how many you can do

Single leg split squats (like this http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...plitSquat.html) Use a stable chair as the base.

Pushups

Crunches

Planks

It's not great but it would be a good start. After a while, once you can do the pushups/pullups easily, this routine will be really easy and a proper gym will suit you much more. ALso there are some muscle groups that are very hard to work at home or without weights- hamstrings etc.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidelmo View Post
    Yeah Summer, I agree that it would be easier to join a gym. Most routines are designed with gym access in mind and to be honest I think you will see better results much quicker with gym access.

Also the gym will suit your needs more. If you can't do a proper pullup by yourself you can use a machine with lighter weight that you can manage etc.

If you insist on working at home, at the least you would need some basic equipment. You can get a barbell and some free weights very cheaply.

However, a "decent" home routine would maybe be something like this:
    Warmup jog for 5-10 minutes

Pullups - a few sets of as many as you can do comfortably. Aim to improve them every time.

Bodyweight lunges - again do a few sets of these and see how many you can do

Single leg split squats (like this http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...plitSquat.html) Use a stable chair as the base.

Pushups

Crunches

Planks

It's not great but it would be a good start. After a while, once you can do the pushups/pullups easily, this routine will be really easy and a proper gym will suit you much more. ALso there are some muscle groups that are very hard to work at home or without weights- hamstrings etc.
    Thanks so much! how many pounds should the weights be?
    what about leg weights?

thanks again!
    Last edited by Summer; 12-23-2006 at 07:13 PM.