The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Some final questions before the jan 1st cut

I just want to clear a few things up with you guys that i havent found using search button. Im cutting jan 1st for as long as necessary to be lean. Im doing kettlebell training twice a week and 2 days of weights (upper, lower). My lean mass is almost 180 and im currentlt about 220 @ 19-20% body fat.

I figured following anthonys advice would be key "meats nuts and vegys at every meal" but i still had some questions.

im guessing 250 grams of protien is optimal because im cutting and i want to hang on to my LBM as best as possible and possibly even get a little stronger as my fitness level rises. 250 grams of protien is 1000 calories.

fat would be around 90 grams using the .5 estimate provided by most of you on here, 90 grams of fat is 810 calories.

that leaves me with 700 or so calories to come from other sources or carbs. i obviously am cutting starchs out almost completely.

the best time to have the carbs on a cut is pre and post workout as i hear, so pre workout could be say some PB, cottege cheese/chicken, and an apple? post workout whey in water, nuts, and a banana?

hows this for a sample.

breakfast - 3 whole eggs, a glass of 1% milk
    lunch - 6-8 oz chicken breast or tuna, peanuts, a vegy if i can, water
    pre workout - chix/tuna/cottege, peanut butter, piece of fruit
    post workout - nitrean in water, peanuts, piece of fruit
    dinner - some form of meat and vegys (my mom ALWAYS cooks vegys)
    pre bed - nitrean in water

i was thinking this would be pretty good to help shed the fat (1.5 lbs a week is what i want) and retain my muscle.

sorry i may know a good amount but cutting conserns me! lol
    Last edited by Stumprrp; 12-20-2006 at 01:43 PM.
    2000 or bust

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Learning as I progress
    Well depends on how strict you wanna get. Apiece of fruit is fine for workout days, but generally you want the startchy stuff right around workouts.

Other than the excessive fruit, the plan looks good. As long as you train intensely(do you even know how to train any other way?) and are in a deficiet, youll be lean in no time.

PS: Guess your gonna win that race to a 6 pack after all
    Last edited by Con; 12-20-2006 at 03:45 PM.
    Complication breeds desperation.

other excellent carb sources - sweet potatos, oats, brown rice

apple/berries/grapefruit/peaches post workout (bananas are usully frowned upon in a cut, except for "carb up meals")

i would suggest scheduling a few cheat meals into your diet maybe one or twice a month - just make sure they are planed and not just a moment of weekness

also i know your not trying ot get into contest shape but dairy causes you to hold water i believe
    Last edited by 8.8; 12-20-2006 at 04:17 PM.
    Way down this road, in a gym far away, a young man was once heard to say, "I've repped high and I've repped low, No matter what I do my legs won't grow."

He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses, too. Trying to cheat these sissy workouts he'd do. From the corner of the gym where the big men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty fives. A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees.

Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack, Chalking his hands and monstrous back, Said "Boy stop lying and don't say you've forgotten, Trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN"

con yeah i know but to be honest with you i dont even crave starches

8.8 thanks im sure 1 glass of milk or 1 cup of CC wont hurt to much, and if i have some starches to have around my lifts i will.

oh hell yeah on the cheat meals, they have to be like 1-2 a month because when i cheat i cheat BIG! (large pizzas, quad stackers )
    2000 or bust

yes i agree shouldnt hurt i was just thowin it out there
    Way down this road, in a gym far away, a young man was once heard to say, "I've repped high and I've repped low, No matter what I do my legs won't grow."

He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses, too. Trying to cheat these sissy workouts he'd do. From the corner of the gym where the big men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty fives. A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees.

Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack, Chalking his hands and monstrous back, Said "Boy stop lying and don't say you've forgotten, Trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN"

i hear you thanks for the input!

i cant wait to melt this crap off!
    2000 or bust

One Winged Angel MagnaSephiroth's Avatar
    Cutting also concerns me, cause I'm really not that "big" but I dont like having any bulges at all. While I gained a good 18 pounds, I'm ready to cut about 5-10 of that off to show my abs and be very lean. I feel like I really havnt gained much, which is why I'm scared to cut and lose what I lost
    Current Routine: WBB1
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 161 (as of 7/31/06)
    171 (as of 11/13/06)
    178 (as of 1/1/07)
    171.8 (as of 2/5/07)
    165 (as of 3/5/07)

Weight Lifting Journal

Quote Originally Posted by MagnaSephiroth View Post
    Cutting also concerns me, cause I'm really not that "big" but I dont like having any bulges at all. While I gained a good 18 pounds, I'm ready to cut about 5-10 of that off to show my abs and be very lean. I feel like I really havnt gained much, which is why I'm scared to cut and lose what I lost
    if you take it slow u should have no worries, such as myself
    Last edited by Stumprrp; 12-21-2006 at 05:45 PM.
    2000 or bust

Wannabebig Member
    Starting a cut also on the 1st. 17 years old, 6'0 265lbs. I plan to be about 230 come summer and stay there. This has been a good thread, keep it going!
    ME- Project Ruff to Buff
    17 years old
    265lbs cutting to 230

Max Bench-305
    Max sqaut-400
    Max Shoulder Shrug-450

stump i would say you can bring your protein down to say 200-220 if you want and still be fine mate
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

ok hill
    2000 or bust

How many calories were you eating before cutting? Why did you decide on ~2500 to cut?

Looks like you're moving in the right direction ... couple of suggestions:

1) more variation with your fat intake.

2) understand that the faster you lose, the more likely you'll lose strength and muscle. While you might be able to get away with it in the beginning, the leaner you get, the slower your progress will be. I'd shoot for 0.5-1.0 pounds per week to be safe. There's absolutely no reason why you can't get stronger during a "cut" ... you just need to be patient.

But overall I think you're taking steps in the right direction. Good luck!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

thanks anthony, i started and im getting my fats from peanuts, peanut butter, olive oil, and meats.

i understand that the faster you lose how likely you are to lose muscle, but man .5 - 1lb a week is REALLLY slow, that means in 6 months i will have lost barely 20 lbs, i need to lose about 25, you dont think my goal of 1.5 a week is ok? i picked 2500 because my maintanace is 3200-3000.

heres how my diet went so far today so you have an idea.

breakfast - 3 egg omlet with peppers, onions, mushrooms, and low fat cheese, a side of 1 cup egg whites

lunch - a can of tuna, peanuts, and carrots

snack - 1 cup cottege cheese but spiced up

ill probley have a bowl of homemade chicken soup before work, which is all vegys fresh white chicken and little meatballs, lol.

i wont mind losing slow but after the majority comes off, i am 20% and usually when your that high it comes off fairly quick in the first month or so no?
    Last edited by Stumprrp; 12-28-2006 at 12:44 PM.
    2000 or bust